Home Cigar 101
Options

Cohiba Cuban Maduro 5

Just bought a ...Cohiba Cuban Maduro 5...anyone smoked it recently?

Comments

• Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Well here's a few points for you:

-It's your 4th post? Don't even talk about Cubans. It's just bad form, and we don't know you.

-The above can be somewhat ignored, IF you live outside of the US, but it's still not a good idea to brag, because then we hate you ;-) (just kidding on this part).

-There's a few Canada BOTLs, as well as some in Europe...maybe one of them will chime in.

-Welcome to the forum, hope you stick around.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    He won't...sounds like he was trolling...
  • Options
    The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    damn Hays you jumped all over that one !
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    hmm, from his previous posts, he said he was in Iraq, so he may not have the time to reply just yet; guess time will tell if he's a troll or just looking for info
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Well just to be safe, let's jump all over the new guy for asking a question. /sarcasm
  • Options
    hahaha..gotta bunch of funny guys on here..yes im in iraq, and sorry but i jus decided to pick up cigars as a hobby and all that is available are the ones that the iraqis sell in their shops..cubans. Glad to have found this site though! Im looking forward to learning as much as i can about cigars from you guys :)
  • Options
    So did you smoke the Cohiba maduro? If so how was it? I've been curious about them myself, but not curious enough to part with the green.
  • Options
    not yet..its still on my desk..hoping to smoke it tonight on the rooftop, weather has been incredible here. What do you mean by "green"? And im like 12 hours ahead of you guys..so the replies may come slow. haha
  • Options
    Money...money is green. Get it? :) Those Cohiba maduros don't come cheap, much like any Cuban Cohiba.

Post back and let us know what you think of the cigar when you smoke it. I've heard some good things about them, but Cohiba is one of those brands people like on name alone, not necessarily on the merits of the cigar alone.
  • Options

Really? oops...didnt realize a cohiba was that popular (now i understand why Hays said wat he did ) ...yeah, i'll let you all know..but keep in mind its only like my 4th cigar..so i dont really have anything to compare it to..

• Options
    I can barely remember when I was 4 cigars into the hobby, and it wasn't too terribly long ago, but I can tell you I sure as hell hadn't had a Cuban Cohiba, not a bad entry into the hobby. Enjoy man.
  • Options
    jpclotfelterjpclotfelter Posts: 294
    streetracer55:
    hahaha..gotta bunch of funny guys on here..yes im in iraq, and sorry but i jus decided to pick up cigars as a hobby and all that is available are the ones that the iraqis sell in their shops..cubans. Glad to have found this site though! Im looking forward to learning as much as i can about cigars from you guys :)
    I spent 2 1/2 years in Iraq. I hate to be the one who brings bad news but those Cohibas they sell on the bases are all counterfeit. The same goes for the Montecristos, Punchs', Romeo y Julieta, etc...

Depending on where you fly to when you leave Iraq (probably Kuwait if you are military or Dubai if you are civilian) you should be able to get the real deal in the duty free shop in the airport. Trust me, you will see a huge difference.
  • Options

Is there a way to easily tell if they are counterfeit??

• Options
    jpclotfelterjpclotfelter Posts: 294
    streetracer55:

If you bought it on a military base in Iraq...it's counterfeit. That doesn't mean that it's not a good cigar. It's just not a real Cohiba.
  • Options
    got it in one of those lil markets in the town...the store seemed legit..but ya neva know i guess..
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    streetracer55:

Really? oops...didnt realize a cohiba was that popular (now i understand why Hays said wat he did ) ...yeah, i'll let you all know..but keep in mind its only like my 4th cigar..so i dont really have anything to compare it to..

We sometimes get trolls or idiots coming on here who live in the States, asking where they can buy cubans and whatnot, so Hays response was pretty much the same thing everyone was thinking

Since you're in Iraq, it's different. That said, watch out - Cohiba's are some of the most counterfeited cigars out there. The counterfeiters have gotten very good at what they do. It used to be that you could spot a counterfeit by irregularities on the box/band, or by the terrible spelling, but not anymore; I've heard some counterfeiters can perfectly replicate the box and bands these days, and the only way to know for sure if a cigar is legit or not is to smoke it.

Here's a site that has a gallery of fake Cohiba's Just keep in mind that these are old examples, and the counterfeiters have gotten much better, sometimes to the point that it's impossible to tell without smoking the cigar. I know Ccom ships overseas, but I'm not sure if they ship to Iraq or not; you may wanna look into buying some cigars from a US seller and just having them shipped to you; at least then you'll know nothing was slipped into the cigar. Call 'em up or just email Ccom, and they may set you up with a military discount

• Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    Call 'em up or just email Ccom, and they may set you up with a military discount

Yup, ask for Jeff Jackson. He does a LOT of work with military, and actually runs a nonprofit military-oriented organization (i can't remember the exact mission, unfortunately).
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    jpclotfelter:
    streetracer55:

If you bought it on a military base in Iraq...it's counterfeit. That doesn't mean that it's not a good cigar. It's just not a real Cohiba.
    Yep. I was in Iraq as well - all the "cubans" are fake. And most I saw were not stored in a humidor, in 0% humidity, in 130 degree heat. I decided to avoid purchasing any.

streetracer - do you have your own humidor over there?
  • Options

A guy I work with gave me his humidor, i bought the humidifier from the same cigar store and replaced the old one. Surprisingly, the store has numerous very nice displays, and they seem to be all kept around 65 or 70. I smoked the Cohiba last night..spent an hour withit. It had a mild spice in the middle, and the draw was very smooth and easy. It was good. But like i said, i dont really have anything to compare it to. I just cant wait for my shipment of cigars from this site. I also joined the COTM, so i look forward to trying the varieties.

• Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Definitely get in contact with Jeff Jackson from cigar.com. He runs a non-profit for vets and currently deployed military personnel. Oh, and he's great at hooking it up with great prices if he can.
  • Options
    havanaalhavanaal Posts: 155 ✭✭
    Since I live near the Canadian border, I can attest to the fact that counterfeit Cubans are considerably more abundant than real Cubans. But one of the best pieces of advice I got from a Cuban Counterfeit site was to stay away from Cohibas and Montecristos. Your best bet at hitting paydirt with the real thing is to go for the least recognized brand you can find. Picked up some Quai D'Orsays and Flor de Maquez in Kingston, Ontario and there was no question they were the real thing. Good advice.
  • Options
    biggest thing about real cuban cohibas, theyre EXPENSIVE.. if you find one with a price to good to be true.. then it probably is.. ive had one of the maduro 5's and it was okay, not the greatest.. i prefer the siglo VI anyday.. i cant attest to the authenticity around that paticular location,so i cant help you there. like i said the one i had wasnt anything to be ultimately wowed about.