Home Cigar 101
Options

Can well made cigar boxes be used as humidors

I have a small collection of well made cigar boxes can they be used as humidors/ that is, having the right humidification device etc. I have a large desktop humidor and a couple of small one to keep my stash in, and was just wondering......

Comments

• Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You probably could. I think it would depend on the composition and how tight it seals.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Yankeeman is right - a tight seal is the biggest problem with having a cigar box as a humidor; if you got that, then you can use it as a humidor
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    even the best cigar boxes are not as good as a humidor. they may come close but i feel that it will just lead to an epic failure in the future. i have seen cigar boxes warp even two years after the last cigar was taken out.
    and it was no "cheapie" box. it was a box for OpusX.
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    If you make a coolidor, you can use those boxes to hold your cigars within the coolidor. If you don't know what a coolidor is, here's a video to watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7HliFCVzj8

I plan on making one this summer. I don't know how useful it will be to someone in the military, but maybe it'll help.

Oh, and thanks for your service to our country.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    lilwing88:
    If you make a coolidor, you can use those boxes to hold your cigars within the coolidor. If you don't know what a coolidor is, here's a video to watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7HliFCVzj8

I plan on making one this summer. I don't know how useful it will be to someone in the military, but maybe it'll help.

Oh, and thanks for your service to our country.
    This is what I do. I use boxes to hold my cigars inside my coolidor. never have to wonder if the seal on the box is still good.
  • Options
    Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Posts: 1,515
    i would personally rather use a ziploc bag or tupperware container that i know has a great seal. throw a humi pillow or two in there and youll be good to go!
  • Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    I have a cigar box designed to be just that a humi....you drop the lid you can hear the wush.....it's from a box of Romeo y Julieta Vintage Maduros, I have it on my desk at work just keep a humi pillow in it, works very well

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I have used a cigar box as a humidor. It will work, but it's not ideal. Basically if you keep a humidifying device in it the box will work, but I really wouldn't recommend it because the humidity escapes fast leading to a lot of checking and recharging. Better just to use a humidor and not worry about it. If you're totally hard up and have no other option, get a large ziplock bag that the box can go in, that way you deal with the issues of a weak seal.
  • Options
    I have a well made wood cigar box as a humidor, because I'm in the process of building my own. I had some left over foam weather stripping so I put it around the perimeter of the lid creating an airtight seal, it works for now.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum EDogg. Head over to The Newbie welcoming thread. and introduce yourself. This is a very friendly place.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    EDogg49:
    I have a well made wood cigar box as a humidor, because I'm in the process of building my own. I had some left over foam weather stripping so I put it around the perimeter of the lid creating an airtight seal, it works for now.
    im not really sure i would want a cigar box humidor. once you get a hygrometer and humidification in there it will only be a 10-15 count.

and holy necropost batman.
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Regular cigar boxes are not made for humidors....they are just manufactured cedar boxes ( most ) to hold your cargo. There are some that are magnetized and work very well...I have 3 of them. Good humidors are your best best...they can be purchased very economically as 'blems' that might have a scratch or two but still work like brand new.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I posted something similar to this question a while back and got the same type of replies. Most said “Don't bother” “It's not made to be a humidor”.

My advice for anyone thinking about this would probably be the same but you could always test it out and try it. I did. I bought a batch of empty boxes from the sister site and one of them just happened to be built like a humidor. It was a Carlos Torano - Noventa box. It has a heavy lid, a raised seal and even has quadrant hinges. Not built like a fine quality humidor but it's kinda' nice. (See Photo)

So I kept thinking about it and finally threw a couple of gel jars and a hygrometer in there and let it season itself over the course of a week. Humidity leveled off at around 70%. So then I removed the gel jars and I added a dozen or so seasoned cigars from my cooler with no humidification device at all. It held steady at about 66% for a couple of weeks. I then noticed a drop in humidity to about 64% so I added a gel stick. The humidity slowly climbed back up around 70% in about a weeks time. So I added a tubo with holes punched in it and filled with unscented silica kitty litter. It's been holding at about 67% for about a couple of weeks with the gel stick and the silica working in tandem.

I plan to let my dad keep this “humidor” at his house. He smokes with me occasionally and on rare occasions with some of his buddies. This is the perfect little humi for that purpose. Yes, I would be skeptical of any “normal” cigar box being able to perform as well as this one has. Yes, it won't hold but about a dozen to twenty depending on the cigar's size but this is the right size for this purpose. But this one seems to be working. And it's very attractive. It's got some beautiful wood on it. Solid oak I believe. Or at least one hell of a veneer.

• Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I find that certain, well-made boxes are useful for part time storage.