Home Cigar 101
Options

Pronunciation

xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
While the internet is great for learning about cigars, how to smoke 'em, how to find new ones, etc - one thing it's not good at is teaching you to talk like you're not a noobie. In short, it fails at teaching a person how to pronounce their favorite brands. Case in point - I walk into my B&M and ask for an Oliva, Series O - store owner has no idea what I'm talking about. It took a few minutes until he figured it out - turns out I had been pronouncing it A-LI-VA, when it's actually pronounced OH-LEE-VA.

So anyone else have any good stories, or just feel like sharing the proper pronunciation of some names that are typically mispronounced?

Comments

• Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Took me a while to figure out that CAO was an acronym. I kept saying "cow". Also, Tatuaje was tough to get the right accento on the right syllable. I think it's tat-tu-AH-hey. Partagas is funny too. I've heard that pronounced 10 different ways.......
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Pepin is pronounced Pep-een. I've also had trouble with Tatuaje and I'm sure I've pronounced CAO as "cow" more than once. At least I didn't pronounce Padron as pad-ron
  • Options
    ljlljl Posts: 819
    Mine's 5 Vegas. I know this sounds dumb but my buddy and I keep arguing. He insists I should say cinco. I keep telling him if they wanted me to say cinco...they'd put cinco. Now every time I say "five" I keep waiting for someone over my shoulder to shout me down!
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lilwing88:
    Took me a while to figure out that CAO was an acronym. I kept saying "cow". Also, Tatuaje was tough to get the right accento on the right syllable. I think it's tat-tu-AH-hey. Partagas is funny too. I've heard that pronounced 10 different ways.......

You're right..it IS tat-tu-AH-hey - - Spanish for 'tatoo'. And, of all the ways I've heard Partagas pronounced, I think PAR-ta-gus is the right one. But, hey, I've been wrong before....

And 5 Vegas IS Cinco Vegas. I've been corrected enough times on that one that I now accept 'Cinco' as being correct. And CAO? It's the guy's initials - C. A. Ozgener but I haven't yet learned how to pronounce his last name.

Marty

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ljl:
    Mine's 5 Vegas. I know this sounds dumb but my buddy and I keep arguing. He insists I should say cinco. I keep telling him if they wanted me to say cinco...they'd put cinco. Now every time I say "five" I keep waiting for someone over my shoulder to shout me down!
    both are acceptable
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    so answer me this is Ligero
    Li-GARE-oh
    or
    Li-HARE-oh
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    dennisking:
    so answer me this is Ligero
    Li-GARE-oh
    or
    Li-HARE-oh
    Answer B.
  • Options
    ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    I was doing this with Avo Cigars. This was CCom's fault for a while because they had it listed for as AVO so I kept pronouncing it as an acronym. I still have trouble with it!!
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    when I first started out, I had trouble saying Macanudo, LOL

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Well I found a couple things after looking around (I've seen better lists before).

Fuente - Fuen-Teh
    CAO - See Aay Oh
    Tatuaje - Tattoo Ahh Hey
    5 Vegas - Sinko Vegas
    La Vieja Habana - La Vee Aay Ha Habana
    Camacho - Kah Ma Cho
    Cusano - Ku San Oh
    Avo - Ah Vo
    Carlos Torano - Carlos Tor Ahn Yo
    La Aurora 100 Anos - La Ah-Roar Ah See-En An Yos
    Padilla Miami - Pad dee ya Miami
    Padron - Pah Drone
    Partagas - Par Tah Gus
    Romeo y Julieta - Rome-ay-o ee Hoo-lee-eh-tah
    Anejo - Ahn-yay-ho
    Joya de Nicaragua - Hoy-ah-day-Nicaragua
    Ramon Allones - Ramone-ah-yone-ez
    Cabaiguan - kah-bei-gWAHN
    por larranaga - por la ron ya ga
    Palio - Pal-ee-oh
    Pepin - Pe-peen
    Xicar - Zy-car
    Illusione - Eh Loo-Zee-Own-EE
    Davidoff - Dah Vid Off

Also, go Here for audio recordings of several brands.

¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the case of Cusano, I think it's pronounced "Q-Sano' and I'll tell ya why.......If I remember correctly, Mike spells his last name Chiusano which I believe is a good ol' Italian name and the 'Chiu' part I think is pronounced like a "Q".

Marty

• Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I'm inconsistent on some of these, because I go back and forth between thinking I should pronounce them properly, and thinking it's a bit silly, since I'm not of Spanish descent, don't know Spanish, and because the English language is constantly borrowing words from other languages and Anglicizing them, anyway. (I once heard it said that English doesn't just borrow from other languages, it chases them up an alley and steals their wallet.)

So, fer instance, I'll go as far as pronouncing Padron as "Peh-DROHN," but rarely as far as pronouncing Romeo y Julieta correctly, or saying "cinco" for 5 Vegas. And no trilling of r's. I draw the line at r-trilling. It works for some people; me, I just sound like a fathead.

And now, we come to the Old Joke portion of our post:

Mexia -- Meh-HAY-uh
    Dairy Queen -- DEH-ree Kween

• Options
    jlmarta:
    In the case of Cusano, I think it's pronounced "Q-Sano' and I'll tell ya why.......If I remember correctly, Mike spells his last name Chiusano which I believe is a good ol' Italian name and the 'Chiu' part I think is pronounced like a "Q".

Marty

The thing is, Chuisano intentionally changed the name for the company so that it would be easier for the public to pronounce. Either way, I think "Q-Sano" and "Ku-Sano" would be pretty equivalent when you actually verbalize them, wouldn't they?

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    urbino:
    I'm inconsistent on some of these, because I go back and forth between thinking I should pronounce them properly, and thinking it's a bit silly, since I'm not of Spanish descent, don't know Spanish, and because the English language is constantly borrowing words from other languages and Anglicizing them, anyway. (I once heard it said that English doesn't just borrow from other languages, it chases them up an alley and steals their wallet.)

So, fer instance, I'll go as far as pronouncing Padron as "Peh-DROHN," but rarely as far as pronouncing Romeo y Julieta correctly, or saying "cinco" for 5 Vegas. And no trilling of r's. I draw the line at r-trilling. It works for some people; me, I just sound like a fathead.

And now, we come to the Old Joke portion of our post:

Mexia -- Meh-HAY-uh
    Dairy Queen -- DEH-ree Kween

Lol this is a good point Urbi - I never say Cinco for 5 Vegas either, despite the fact that I know that's what it's "supposed" to be. As far as your version of Padron, I pronounce it the same way. Trilling r's, well I can't do that anyway, so I don't even worry about it lol..

• Options
    urbino:

I agree. I use the english pronunciation instead of using the latin pronunciation for most of them, just like I pronounce the country "Mex-ih-coh" instead of "Meh-hee-coh".

On thing I used to get wrong was Robusto. I thought the middle syllable sounded like a school bus until homer simpson pronounced it as sounding like a 'moose'.
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    i also call it 5 Vegas not Cinco Vegas.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Unthought_Known:
    On thing I used to get wrong was Robusto. I thought the middle syllable sounded like a school bus until homer simpson pronounced it as sounding like a 'moose'.
    I try not to sound like that talking pothole in the car insurance commercial, but I don't make it as far as rhyming with "moose," either. I get to something in the neighborhood of "push," and then I have a martini and call it a day.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    wait . . . so Padilla isn't pronounced PA-DILL-A, but rather PA-DEE-YA?!
  • Options
    mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    Yup.
  • Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Somebody help me out here - wasn't there an old SNL skit where the news anchors were going crazy overboard with trilling 'r's and generally butchering any spanish sounding words during a news broadcast skit? Like they would be speaking normal English and all of the sudden they would say "Neeeeecurrrrrrrrrraaaggua"? I can't for the life of me remember who the actors were or the exact premise. I hope I'm not the only one that (sort of) remembers that.

Anyway, that's how I feel about pronouncing some of these names/terms. I try to stay somewhat true to the origins of the words without overdoing it by trying to be some sort of psuedo-latin speaker.

After all, I speak freakin' AMERICAN here. Mexico has an "X" in it. Not a "HE" (i.e. Me-HE-co).
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    lilwing88:
    Seriously, I really have heard Partagas pronounced at least 5 different ways at various shops.
  • Options
    I try to use my *basic* Spanish-speaking skills to pronounce names as best I can.... without over-doing it and sounding ridiculous. Of course, I'm Virginia by way of Tennessee with the generic military accent that comes with living all over the country. I'll never forget my first trip to the local B&M... when I pointed to a CAO Gold Maduro... and pronounced it "Kay-O" (thought I was being fancy, I guess). I've mispronounced Oliva forever, favoring the pronunciation "OH-liv-uh" over "oh-LEE-vah". Partagas still gives me trouble. Is it "PAR-ta-gus" or "par-TAY-gus" or "par-TAH-gus"or "par-tah-GAHHS"
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Partagas should be pronounced par-ta-gahs with stress on the last syllable so it sounds more like gas but with the "a" still making the short "ah" sound.
  • Options
    SaVasSaVas Posts: 250
    Hays:
    Well I found a couple things after looking around (I've seen better lists before).

Fuente - Fuen-Teh
    CAO - See Aay Oh
    Tatuaje - Tattoo Ahh Hey
    5 Vegas - Sinko Vegas
    La Vieja Habana - La Vee Aay Ha Habana
    Camacho - Kah Ma Cho
    Cusano - Ku San Oh
    Avo - Ah Vo
    Carlos Torano - Carlos Tor Ahn Yo
    La Aurora 100 Anos - La Ah-Roar Ah See-En An Yos
    Padilla Miami - Pad dee ya Miami
    Padron - Pah Drone
    Partagas - Par Tah Gus
    Romeo y Julieta - Rome-ay-o ee Hoo-lee-eh-tah
    Anejo - Ahn-yay-ho
    Joya de Nicaragua - Hoy-ah-day-Nicaragua
    Ramon Allones - Ramone-ah-yone-ez
    Cabaiguan - kah-bei-gWAHN
    por larranaga - por la ron ya ga
    Palio - Pal-ee-oh
    Pepin - Pe-peen
    Xicar - Zy-car
    Illusione - Eh Loo-Zee-Own-EE
    Davidoff - Dah Vid Off

Also, go Here for audio recordings of several brands.

Did you by chance look at the humidors that were auctioned off at the events? WOW, now those are a work of art, literally!
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    OK, someone tell me how this one is pronounced..........Paradigm.
  • Options
    firetruckguy:
    Pair-ah-dime
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    firetruckguy:
    Pair-ah-dime

Well thats better then what I was saying......Pair-a-digem...... Thanks Joe
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    firetruckguy:
    Pair-ah-dime
    To me it's "Pah-ruh-dime"
  • Options
    Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Posts: 1,515
    Unthought_Known:
    j0z3r:
    firetruckguy:
    Pair-ah-dime
    To me it's "Pah-ruh-dime"
    I think it is pear-uh-dime.
  • Options
    Well, whatever. If you guys want to split hairs over how best to break the word up into syllables, knock yourselves out. I know how to say the word and hopefully firetruckguy does too now.