Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Corey Haim dead at 38......

lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
Tragic but, sadly, inevitable. Given his track record with drugs, I'm surprised he lasted this long. I grew up watching his movies. Lucas, Lost Boys, and Dream A Little Dream. He had such potential to be a great actor. Too bad he couldn't kick the drugs.

Hopefully, his life will be a lesson to some younger actors who seem to be heading down a similar path.
Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..

Comments

• Options
    SaVasSaVas Posts: 250
    I don't know why, but I'm just no longer sympathetic when a drug abuser dies. I guess E! or Lifetime are both running to a screenwriter to be the first to do a cheesy movie about his life now.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Looks like God canceled "The Two Coreys"

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    Krieg:
    Looks like God canceled "The Two Coreys"
    hahahaha, that's awesome.....
    I did like License to Drive though, that was great.
  • Options
    Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    lilwing88:
    Tragic but, sadly, inevitable. Given his track record with drugs, I'm surprised he lasted this long. I grew up watching his movies. Lucas, Lost Boys, and Dream A Little Dream. He had such potential to be a great actor. Too bad he couldn't kick the drugs.

Hopefully, his life will be a lesson to some younger actors who seem to be heading down a similar path.
    Tragic? No I disagree. Sad maybe if you knew him. Inevitable I guess so. Sorry to take and put a spin on this but there were 2 police officers that died this week near where I live. One lost a long battle with Cancer. The other was shot and killed in the line of duty. I think that these 2 hero's deserve better and more attention then some drug abusing movie "STAR".
    We will hear for weeks or months on end how tragic it is that this one person who was famous died. After these 2 hero's are barried very few people will talk about them or remember them. There will be no movies, no after school special, or national attention for 2 hero's who put their lives on the line everyday weather they were working or not. I think people's or maybe our societies priorities are all messed up.
    Marty please do not take this as a personal attack on your liking of Corey Haim. This is just something that is weighing heavy on my heart right now and I had to get it out. I'm pretty sure I know where you stand on this topic. No hard feelings brother!
  • Options
    Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Posts: 1,515
    Sandman1am:
    lilwing88:

Tragic? No I disagree. Sad maybe if you knew him. Inevitable I guess so. Sorry to take and put a spin on this but there were 2 police officers that died this week near where I live. One lost a long battle with Cancer. The other was shot and killed in the line of duty. I think that these 2 hero's deserve better and more attention then some drug abusing movie "STAR".
    We will hear for weeks or months on end how tragic it is that this one person who was famous died. After these 2 hero's are barried very few people will talk about them or remember them. There will be no movies, no after school special, or national attention for 2 hero's who put their lives on the line everyday weather they were working or not. I think people's or maybe our societies priorities are all messed up.
    Marty please do not take this as a personal attack on your liking of Corey Haim. This is just something that is weighing heavy on my heart right now and I had to get it out. I'm pretty sure I know where you stand on this topic. No hard feelings brother!
    very well said man. I agree with you completely. Law enforcement don't get no respect! No respect at all!
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Alex Williams:
    Sandman1am:
    lilwing88:

very well said man. I agree with you completely. Law enforcement don't get no respect! No respect at all!
    Gotta disagree strongly with this...western Pennsylvania has buried way too many cops in the last few years, including three Pgh Police killed in an ambush last year, and in each and every case, the outpouring of support for them and police in general has been nothing short of amazing. Not just from other cops, but people around the world. They may not be making movies about them, but the level of respect for the badge I've witnessed has been inspiring. Huge fundraisers to support trust funds for these cops' kids, day-long local TV news broadcasts, live coverage of memorial services, etc.

• Options
    Sandman1am:
    lilwing88:

No hard feelings taken, bro. I liked the OLD Corey Haim, not the drug abusing idiot we've come to know. You know I'm always 'down for mine'. You're absolutely 100% right. My condolences to the families of our fallen brothers. We just lost one of ours recently in a car crash. It is a sad state of affairs that the country mourns people like Corey Haim, Michael Jackson and Britney Murphy. Real heroes die everyday that only get a 2 inch obituary.

I should have specified that it's tragic for a young star with potential to choose the dark path. His death wasn't a tragedy because he brought it upon himself.
  • Options
    Luko:
    Alex Williams:
    Sandman1am:
    lilwing88:

Gotta disagree strongly with this...western Pennsylvania has buried way too many cops in the last few years, including three Pgh Police killed in an ambush last year, and in each and every case, the outpouring of support for them and police in general has been nothing short of amazing. Not just from other cops, but people around the world. They may not be making movies about them, but the level of respect for the badge I've witnessed has been inspiring. Huge fundraisers to support trust funds for these cops' kids, day-long local TV news broadcasts, live coverage of memorial services, etc.

That's great to hear. I wish I could say the same for the 'support' shown to the police here in Shitcago. Whenever a police officer dies here, it's turned into an absolute circus by the media and the politicians. Sure, there's some respectful coverage by the media. But that's usually tainted in the next piece when they pick apart and cast dark shadows on the circumstances surrounding any officers' death. It makes me sick to watch politicians stand in front of the news cameras and posture as if they are really "pro-police", because the following week in a City Council meeting, they'll find ways to stick it to the police with budget cuts and salary decreases. Disgusting.

When one of ours recently died in a car crash, city officials contacted the widow and "reqested" six pews in the front of the funeral for the Mayor and his staff. The widow replied, "No. I'll think about MAYBE giving you one."

Priceless.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I liked his movies. I do agree, I don't think it's sad, I do think this happens way too often.

I do think that cops being killed isn't a good thing especially when a b-actor dies from drug addiction overshadows a cop being shot on duty but they chose that life and many people die of cancer. Though I am not one to say I love cops, I do know that there are many good ones out there and we need them but I don't consider cops in general heroes. In fact most people who do heroic acts never consider themselves heroes.
  • Options
    TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    We live in a society that venerates or vilifies people for who they are, what they do , accomplishments, failures etc. We are judged, graded and put in our place. Personally speaking I have a talent which I’m known for, that I almost wish I never had, because now I’m in a box. I’m no longer me, I’m “this thing”. Personally I don’t think I’m better or worse than anyone else, we’re all sucking air in and out of our lungs. Corey’s air, was just as valid as mine. It’s too bad he struggled with those addictions.
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    Thought this may be relevant
  • Options
    illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    hahaha ouch thats rough
  • Options
    Reunited and it feeels so gooo-oooood!
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I did my part for a Corey Haim tribute. I bought The Lost Boys on Blu-Ray. Damn good movie.

"Long ashes my friends."