Home General Discussion
Options

Obligatory "New Guy" Thread

Hey Folks!

Finally made a post yesterday so I'm putting up the standard thread to properly introduce ones self to the esteemed members of this board.

I've been reading the forums for the better part of 6 months now, and owe much of my cigar knowledge to all the fantastic information you've all put up.

I've only truly picked up the hobby since Christmas, due to an extremely generous gift from my fiance's father (a stocked 40ct Burlwood Humi), though I've dabbled in the past at special events. The bug has definitely bit me though and since I hear there's no cure I'm just rolling with it.

So far I've found my tastes tend towards anything creamy, regardless of body though I do enjoy changing it up to something with a good bit of spice. My palate is still a work in progress so take this with a grain of salt! Favorites thusfar are a R&J Reserva Real and Gurkha Signature 101 (For all those polarized by Gurkha I'm still on the fence. They're 2 for 4 in my book at the moment)

Thanks again, I look forward to more reading and contribution to these forums in the future!

Comments

• Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum brotha! It's good times around these parts, and definitely don't take us seriously (which if you've been reading as you've said, you already know). Since you're still open to Gurkha, check out the Park Avenue - great priced stick, and definitely fits in with the flavor profile you've mentioned.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Yo new guy....
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Hays:
    Welcome to the forum brotha! It's good times around these parts, and definitely don't take us seriously (which if you've been reading as you've said, you already know). Since you're still open to Gurkha, check out the Park Avenue - great priced stick, and definitely fits in with the flavor profile you've mentioned.
    Welcome to the madness. I second Hay's recommendation of the Park Avenue. I've had a couple and they are great. Here's another Gurkha that might fit you: Gurkha Turk.
  • Options
    illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    sightunseen:
    Hays:

Welcome to the madness. I second Hay's recommendation of the Park Avenue. I've had a couple and they are great. Here's another Gurkha that might fit you: Gurkha Turk.

both great reccomendations! welcome to the forum man, lots of great guys on this forum and tons of great info.. I would definitely check out the ccom house blends, they will give you a great idea of what cigars you like.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    welcome, I'm with the others on the Park Avenue, bought a box after trying one in a sampler, quite satisfied.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    try the Knight Industries Two Thousand, love that avatar.
    I second the Park Ave. One of my favorite milds. The Verdadero Organic is great too.
  • Options
    turn_keyturn_key Posts: 90
    Welcome! I'm new here too. Great gift, but now he dragged you into the cigar hole; there is no escape! I've found that Gurkahs can be hit or miss so I can relate. For example, I had a Status that received good reviews but I found it too bitter, but it could be my palate as well. It's all about personal preference and experimentation. My tastes have changed and the more sticks I try, the more it develops. I read the reviews, pay attention to the wrapper, filler and age and try different variations of those. Then sometimes I go out on a limb and try something totally against my better judgement. That's the beauty of this hobby. Good luck.
  • Options
    brotheradambrotheradam Posts: 896
    Welcome, I like the Rocky Patel Connecticut myself give it a try.
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    Try the Rocky Patel RP Signature as well. Pretty damn good
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Welcome new guy.... your avatar looks familiar...... me thinks I've seen somewhere before...... Hmmmmmmm......... reminds me of a "puff"er fish I once saw...... ;-)
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome!
  • Options
    bama3715bama3715 Posts: 89
    welcome this place and these guys are awesome.
  • Options
    jacketsrulejacketsrule Posts: 401
    Welcome, hope you continue to enjoy.
  • Options
    Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Posts: 1,515
    hey brother. Welcome to the forums! Shoot me your addy and I'll send you a little welcome present of some stuff you might like.
  • Options
    GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    I really like it when new guys come out and say a little something about themselves. It seems like there have been a bunch of new guys doing this lately.
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Goldy:
    I really like it when new guys come out and say a little something about themselves. It seems like there have been a bunch of new guys doing this lately.
    Agreed. It's good to get to know new guys a bit. Hopefully they'll stick around!

Good to have you with us, new guy!
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Welcome aboard.
  • Options
    doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    Thanks for all the warm welcomes and recommendations!

As for any similarities my avatar may have to anyone elses all I can say is that they must have good taste. Otherwise the "puff"er fish remark went right over my head (though I'm quite used to this happening).

I think I'll give the Park Ave. and RP Connie a try next time I order some sticks. My humi actually LOOKS like it has space so I'm close to being able to justify another purchase. I'm resisting the addiction as best as possible, though it will be harder once the wedding occurs and I no longer have that driving me to save money!

Alex, that's incredibly nice of you to offer to send me a welcome package! I'm not stocked to be able to return fire immediately, so no worries if you want to hold off. If you DO go forward with the initiation bomb realize that the retaliation shelling may be up to a month in coming. I'm not one to let a good deed go unpunished, there just may be some lag time there ;)
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    doromath:

As for any similarities my avatar may have to anyone elses all I can say is that they must have good taste. Otherwise the "puff"er fish remark went right over my head (though I'm quite used to this happening).
    Sorry. Thought you were someone else from one of the other forums. They use the same avatar. My bad.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    lilwing88:
    doromath:

Sorry. Thought you were someone else from one of the other forums. They use the same avatar. My bad.

No apology necessary!*

*unless of course the other person was a low-down dispicable sneak, in which case apology accepted!
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Welcome man!
  • Options
    turn_keyturn_key Posts: 90
    doromath:

Alex, that's incredibly nice of you to offer to send me a welcome package! I'm not stocked to be able to return fire immediately, so no worries if you want to hold off. If you DO go forward with the initiation bomb realize that the retaliation shelling may be up to a month in coming. I'm not one to let a good deed go unpunished, there just may be some lag time there ;)
    That made me really laugh out loud for some reason...

I haven't had all the RPs but I haven't had a bad one yet. Good luck.
  • Options
    doromath:

I think I'll give the Park Ave. and RP Connie a try next time I order some sticks. My humi actually LOOKS like it has space so I'm close to being able to justify another purchase. I'm resisting the addiction as best as possible, though it will be harder once the wedding occurs and I no longer have that driving me to save money!

hey man, you dont need to retaliate at all! just a present from me! ill try and get it out on saturday buddy.
  • Options
    Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    Welcome hope you enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    doromath:

hey bud. Wait to place your order till after you get my package. I think it will be a good start for ya to see what else you might like. Sorry it is takin so long to get out, been busy but it isgoin out tommorrow brother!