Home General Discussion
Options

How often do you re-season your humidor?

I'm struggling to keep humidity in the mid to high 60's, and wondering if I need to re-season the old humi.

Comments

• Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    TheShaun:
    I'm struggling to keep humidity in the mid to high 60's, and wondering if I need to re-season the old humi.
    Do you have beads in it? Personally I use a mixture of distilled water and propylene glycol....do a mixture of 50/50 and fill the humification device, keeps humidity levels perfect for me and the PG only needs to be recharged every 6 months...PG can be bought from pharmacy.
  • Options
    leonardleonard Posts: 359
    I live in dry ass So Cal and have never re-seasoned.
  • Options
    I've never re-seasoned.
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I am having the same problem right now.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Never gotta re-season if you keep the humidification device charged. If it's struggling to maintain RH, your seal is probably the problem; you could compensate by adding more humidification (like beads or such), or creating a better seal
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    I have never re-seasoned.

• Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I've never re-seasoned, and haven't had reason to.
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    If done properly the first time, and a good seal is maintained, you should never have to re-season. Just keep the humidifyer charged and you're good.
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    cabinetmaker:
    If done properly the first time, and a good seal is maintained, you should never have to re-season. Just keep the humidifyer charged and you're good.
    Yep. It doesn't really make sense to reseason a humidor unless it gets dried out. If you're having a hard time with your rH, there are several possible problems:
    1. Seal
    2. Not enough humidification/beads for the winter
    3. Hygrometer is not reading properly

All of these possibilities are relatively easy to deal with. You just gotta figure out which one it is.
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    TatuajeVI:
    cabinetmaker:
    Yep. It doesn't really make sense to reseason a humidor unless it gets dried out. If you're having a hard time with your rH, there are several possible problems:
    1. Seal
    2. Not enough humidification/beads for the winter
    3. Hygrometer is not reading properly

All of these possibilities are relatively easy to deal with. You just gotta figure out which one it is.
    +1. Only time I've reseasoned is my first humi, and only because I effed it up the first time.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I haven't as of yet.
  • Options
    bwcarter54bwcarter54 Posts: 142
    I have never reseasoned. I use beads in mine. Just recharge them about once a month or so.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never reseasoned.
  • Options
    Thus far I've had not had to recharge my humi. I gave it a good charge time in the seasoning process.

I've been using the Drymistat Humiditube and I modified my Humidifier by taking out the floral sponge and adding the Drymistat beads into it after they were full charged. This was only to save space since the tubes sit with the Cigars. So I have one sitting with the cigars which I rotate around from time to time and two (the beads) in the Humidifier. Thus far my levels are on point without any issue.

When I need to reintroduce dist water to the tubes I use a dropper and put equal amounts into the Humidifier that was modified so I know I can get the best amount needed. (they have a gauge as to when to fill them and how much water to add.)

I'd imagine these are the same "beads" just in a compact tube. Whatever the case, I've been happy and more importantly my Humidor is happy!

Jay
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    I've never reseasoned and due to the wetter than normal weather here in Socal, I haven't even recharged my beads since November. As everyone said before, check the seal on your humi or if you think you messed up the seasoning the first time, reseason and just transfer everything into a tupperware. Preferably one that isn't currently being used to store food. Unless you like steak infused cigars.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Garen B:
    I've never reseasoned and due to the wetter than normal weather here in Socal, I haven't even recharged my beads since November. As everyone said before, check the seal on your humi or if you think you messed up the seasoning the first time, reseason and just transfer everything into a tupperware. Preferably one that isn't currently being used to store food. Unless you like steak infused cigars.
    Mmmm, Lasagna infused cigars.
  • Options
    Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    j0z3r:
    Garen B:
    Bacon infused cigars!
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Sandman1am:
    j0z3r:
    Garen B:
    Bacon infused cigars!
    I'd bet you dollars to donuts that somewhere in the Drew Estates factory, Jonathan Drew has tried that. I'd want a fried egg and hashbrown infused cigar to go with that. :D
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Sandman1am:
    j0z3r:
    Garen B:
    Bacon infused cigars!
    I'd bet you dollars to donuts that somewhere in the Drew Estates factory, Jonathan Drew has tried that. I'd want a fried egg and hashbrown infused cigar to go with that. :D
    Steak and Egg, with a Coffee finish.
  • Options
    cooch36cooch36 Posts: 714 ✭✭
    I was having the same problem reseasoning every month rh would be fine for weeks then in a couple of days it would crash like a heart attack. I ended up going in my humi and finding all my bands getting loose. so before i went on vacation two weeks ago i but my proped open humi in my coolidore and all is good for now. I will be getting a new humi since mine obviously suck a$$. looking at an excuse to get a tower 3000 stick ummmm. I only have about 220 now but would love the room to taste more. so i feel your pain brother.
  • Options
    Yahmeen32Yahmeen32 Posts: 2
    I re-seasoned my humi i got desperate rh dropped to 59 i knew it was the temp change fought it with PG before wiping it with distilled water twice 2hrs apart then letting it sit overnight in the morning i put the boveda pack in after work i added humidifier solid 75% rh its holding steady 
  • Options
    Yahmeen32Yahmeen32 Posts: 2
    What brand of kitty litter are you speaking of though i never heard that
  • Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

Notice the top right corner. You need to get the fragrance free kind.