Home Cigar 101
Options

Aging in a Glass Tube ?

The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
ok I know this debate goes way back but I just got a Cohiba Black in the glass tube. Now my question is how do I let this rest ? I know humidity goes through aluminum but I know it does not go through glass so would I just take the cap off and let it age that way ? Also I just found an Ashton ESG ! I am really excited about this !

Comments

• Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I think a thread was made recently on this. If you leave it sealed, it will last much longer and take longer to "age". But if you break the seal and leave the end off then it would more than likely be as if it wasn't a tube. I leave my cigars in tubes sealed if in glass tubes. Sometimes I will open up non-glass tubes to see if any damage has been done.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I leave all my tubos sealed. I don't know if it matters or not, but that's the way I prefer to do it. I picked up a Rocky Patel Vintage 1992 churchill tubo in Oct. '08 and have been patiently aging it. I bought this before I realized I didn't really care for many of the RP line, but I'm going to age and smoke it nonetheless and see what I think of it, my target is 5 years.
  • Options
    I like the 90's.
  • Options
    But I go back to what I said earlier if there is no humidity inside of the tube then theoretically the cigar will dry out in the tube.. There is no humidifier inside of the tube so how does it stay humidified ?
  • Options
    The Cank:
    But I go back to what I said earlier if there is no humidity inside of the tube then theoretically the cigar will dry out in the tube.. There is no humidifier inside of the tube so how does it stay humidified ?
    If you keep the tubo inside of a humidified environment, how do you figure it would dry out? Regardless of whether it's sealed or not, there is still going to be some air exchange. And since the cigar is packed in the tube at the factory, where it is humidified, by your reasoning it would remain humidified.
  • Options
    I figured with the tube being sealed their wouldn't be any air exchange . I know that there is no pores in glass for the humidity to get through but I did not think about the cap that isn't air tight. I guess I can see how it would stay fresh and how it would take longer to age as not as much air is being exchanged.... Am I on the right track ?
  • Options
    I think so, that's my understanding of how the tubo works. To further that, the reason I like to keep mine sealed is so that the cigar ages by itself and the tobaccos marry with each other rather than accepting any outside influences, such as other cigars, cedar, or anything else that might influence the taste of the cigar.
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    I just think it's awesome that you could let a Cohiba Black age at all! LOL! That's what I call willpower!
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    lilwing88:
    I just think it's awesome that you could let a Cohiba Black age at all! LOL! That's what I call willpower!
    I must have a lot of it, I have many cigars, most in boxes I haven't even touched.
  • Options
    Well the reason behind me aging it is because I don't like very many Dark cigars right out of the B&M humi. I don't like many cigars without age at all. I don't care much for the bite that comes from a smoke that has not sat for a while plus its good to have some old sticks in the ol humi. Jo I do like the idea of not having other cigars influencing the other. It will be interesting to see how it tastes without the cedar influence. I got the ESG today but was not luck enough to get it tubed. I am on the lookout for a VSG Eclipse which is tubed I think so the Cohiba was kind of the test subject, an expensive test subject )
  • Options
    lilwing88:
    I'd call it the power of aversion...I wouldn't want to smoke that cigar...ever. :) jk, not a big fan of Dominican Cohiba, but to each their own.
  • Options
    Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    The Cank:
    I figured with the tube being sealed their wouldn't be any air exchange . I know that there is no pores in glass for the humidity to get through but I did not think about the cap that isn't air tight. I guess I can see how it would stay fresh and how it would take longer to age as not as much air is being exchanged.... Am I on the right track ?
    If there is no air exchange, than the cigar inside the hermetically sealed tube would retain whatever RH it had at the time of it's packaging. Since, I assume, that the cigar was produced and packaged in a tropical environment, than sealed, you should be good in keeping it that way without worrying about its drying out.

Once the seal is broken all bets are off. :)
  • Options
    Very Nice ! i am not touching it Im just gonna let it sit