Home Cigar 101
Options

BRAND SPANKING NEW!!!

Hello everyone, my name is Cory and I am new to the cigar world.

I went to Mexico, had a Romeo y Julieta, then a Cohiba and now I am hooked!

I have lots of questions but we will start with these:

1) is there a comprehensive "beginners" list of items to have/things to know/how to get started resource that anyone knows of for beginners?

2) I currently have a cigar at my home right now that is kind of flaking apart... is this normal? How long can a cigar last with out proper humidification?

3) any and all help you can give is welcome! Thanks so much!

Comments

• Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome. This is a great group and someone here will have the answer to any question you might have. Poke around the site and get familiar. Also, in the upper right hand corner is a search box. Put a topic in there and it will search previous threads. I'm sure you will find everything you need.
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Welcome Cory...... you've got some work to do. To answer your questions:

1. Things you NEED: A decent sized humidor. The size is relative to how far you plan to take this hobby. If you're "hooked" I'd splurge for at lest a nice 150 count humidor. It's gonna cost you $100 at least, but it'll last you a long time. You'll need to get the humidor started by seasoning it. It should come with instructions on how to do that when you get it. But Boveda makes a kit that takes the brainwork out of it. Google "Boveda" for the site and info. You'll need a digital hygrometer and humidification beads. The beads come in various levels of 60%, 65%, and 70%. I like 70% myself. Xikar makes a decent digital hygrometer. Get a couple gallons of distilled water. They're cheap and will last you a long time. Get a good cutter or punch, depends on which you prefer. I prefer a nice classic guillotine-style cutter. Invest in a good torch lighter. I like them cuz they're good in all environments. Finally, purchase a nice sampler of sticks from Ccom. Call the toll-free number, tell them your a newb and tell them how much your looking to spend and they'll hook you up with a nice sampler.

2. Your cigar is dried out. Hence, the need for the above listed items. Cigars will only last a day, maybe two, without proper humidification.

3. Refer to #1

Good luck, Cory. Feel free to PM me with any more questions.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    ALSO.......... Setting up your humidor will take a while. From ordering to getting it seasoned and ready, you're looking at 1-2 weeks. Until then, a zip lock bag with a water-pillow should keep your smokes nice a fresh.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    turn_keyturn_key Posts: 90
    Welcome!

Go to your local shop and get a humidification pillow and a big zip lock bag and place any new cigars in that until you can get a humi set up. We've all started that way ;)

Depending on how long that stick has been without humidity it might be too late. Most likely it's beyond recovery but you can try placing it in the bag and see if it comes around. The problem will be the loss of oils in the wrapper. The cigar might hydrate but you will have lost some flavor.

Here's an article about reviving and it's an overall good site for basic information:

http://www.cigaradvisor.com/education.cfm?id=27
  • Options
    illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    welcome bud!! all of the info so far is spot on, you will need a good sized humidor (always get a bigger one than you think you need), some humi pillows til you get a humidification device, and a decent digital hygrometer.. and if you search here on the forums you will find all the info you will need!
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Welcome aboard. If you look at some of the links at the top of the page you will find some information resources. Any questions you can't find the answer to will be gladly answered by one of the BOTL here. Lot's of good folk around here.
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Welcome to the forums! Might I suggest the search feature, there is lot's great information that's been asked and answered many times over. If you run into something you cannot find an answer to, we're here to help.
  • Options
    brotheradambrotheradam Posts: 896
    Welcome Corey lots of great info to be found on these boards.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I'll just throw this out there, those cigars you bought in Mexico have a pretty good chance of being counterfeit, especially the Cohiba. I made the mistake of thinking I could buy Cuban cigars in Mexico when I was literally days into the hobby, ended up with some counterfeit Cohibas for my trouble, I still enjoyed them because I didn't know any better at the time. So unless you bought them at La Casa del Habano, chances are they were fake.

Welcome to the forum though, I've learned a lot here in the 2 years I've been around and there a lot of good guys here.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Welcome - if you want to know more about cigars, the best thing you can do is go down to the bottom of the page in the Cigar 101 forum and the General discussion, and just start reading old threads; chances are every question you wanna ask, (and a lot you didn't think of) has already been asked and answered. So just take a few hours and start going back and you'll learn a lot in very little time
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Corymc23:

1) is there a comprehensive "beginners" list of items to have/things to know/how to get started resource that anyone knows of for beginners?

2) I currently have a cigar at my home right now that is kind of flaking apart... is this normal? How long can a cigar last with out proper humidification?

Cory, welcome to the boards...my best piece of advice would be go to amazon.com and get Idiots Guide to Cigars. I'm not calling you an idiot, but just saying this book is GREAT for beginners. I bought the book whenI first started out and it REALLY helped me start to enjoy cigars and taught me everything I needed to know.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Krieg:
    Corymc23:

Cory, welcome to the boards...my best piece of advice would be go to amazon.com and get Idiots Guide to Cigars. I'm not calling you an idiot, but just saying this book is GREAT for beginners. I bought the book whenI first started out and it REALLY helped me start to enjoy cigars and taught me everything I needed to know.
    Not offense to Krieg, but I wholeheartedly recommend AGAINST this book. It was decently informative, but as I got more into it (and into the hobby), I consistently found inaccurate information throughout the book. It's nothing that will ruin your enjoyment, but it'll definitely leave you with a lot of questions (when the point was to answer them), as well as conflicting information as you learn more. I found the "The Cigar Companion: A Connoisseur's Guide" a much more informative read, though admittedly, it does not have the same easy format of the "Idiot's" guide...

Disclaimer: I am typically a big fan of the "Idiot's" guides - I own several. It's just this one in particular that I found very lacking.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Welcome from the North Florida Chapter of the BOTL. Good advice so far, absorb it and go light up.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Welcome! Lastly we really need to get some sticky's here.
  • Options
    Corymc23Corymc23 Posts: 31
    Thank you so much for all the great advice! I will pm you for sure!
  • Options
    undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    Welcome to the group. There is some good stuff on here and call customer service. You won't find better help in the business than this site.
  • Options
    ljlljl Posts: 819
    undulac:
    Welcome to the group. There is some good stuff on here and call customer service. You won't find better help in the business than this site.

Right on! Like everybody else don't be afraid to ask questions, check that search box. Welcome in!
  • Options
    Hays:
    Krieg:
    Corymc23:

Not offense to Krieg, but I wholeheartedly recommend AGAINST this book. It was decently informative, but as I got more into it (and into the hobby), I consistently found inaccurate information throughout the book. It's nothing that will ruin your enjoyment, but it'll definitely leave you with a lot of questions (when the point was to answer them), as well as conflicting information as you learn more. I found the "The Cigar Companion: A Connoisseur's Guide" a much more informative read, though admittedly, it does not have the same easy format of the "Idiot's" guide...

Disclaimer: I am typically a big fan of the "Idiot's" guides - I own several. It's just this one in particular that I found very lacking.
    Wow...I really enjoyed the book. Which edition did u get??

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    welcome, you'll find tons of great information here! I've been smoking many years and learn new stuff here every day, some of these guys have an incredible knowledge of the subject. Hope your significant other is supportive, because although cigars aren't addicting in the way that cigarettes are, the Daily Deal can become a habit!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Hey BOTL.....FRESH MEAT!!!! LOL welcome Cory...sit back and enjoy. Hold on tight....ur in for a ride.
  • Options
    Corymc23Corymc23 Posts: 31

To everyone who responded...

Thank you all very much for your input. Its really nice to know that so many people are passionate about cigars and are so willing and eager to share their two cents. I for one plan on reading quite a bit on the subject and learning as much as I can. Thanks again everyone and I'll talk with you all when I know a little more hopefully!

• Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read the subject yet I see nothing in this thread about spanking! WTF?
  • Options
    The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    Ill spank ya daddy....
  • Options
    ScottTDawgScottTDawg Posts: 206 ✭✭
    Krieg:
    Hays:
    Krieg:
    Corymc23:

Welcome to the forums!

I read the Idiots guide also and thought it was good information. But, as I read into the book, the author seemed to contradict himself, say one thing and then in a few paragraphs later say the opposite. Overall, a good read for someone clueless about cigars. I may give the 'companion' a shot.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    welcome Corey
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Welcome

1 Buy Humidor
    2 Season Humidor
    3 Buy Cigars
    4 smoke cigars
    6 make profit
    7 repeat often

• Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Cank:
    Ill spank ya daddy....
    LMAO Schweet. Figured Lasabar would be all over this. Is that BOTL MIA?
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I can't stress how much I have learned just from reading this forum for about a week. This place is great!
  • Options
    ScottTDawg:
    Krieg:
    Hays:
    Krieg:
    Corymc23:

Welcome to the forums!

I read the Idiots guide also and thought it was good information. But, as I read into the book, the author seemed to contradict himself, say one thing and then in a few paragraphs later say the opposite. Overall, a good read for someone clueless about cigars. I may give the 'companion' a shot.
    I thought about buying the Ccompanion, but I believe it's at least 5 years old now. And its more of a reference than an introduction and history of cigars...also IMO, it needs to be updated with all the cigars that have come to and left the market.

"Long ashes my friends."