Home General Discussion

Reviewing

madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
I've recently gotten away from reviewing cigars again. I started getting really into it and reviewing almost every cigar I smoked. I was doing this bc my memory isn't always the greatest and I have a bad habit of smoking a cigar, not liking it and forgetting that and buying it again. But then I found that I was no longer relaxing and enjoying the cigar. Also more often than not I was dissappointed in the cigar. Now I'm not saying that this isn't an enjoyable way to smoke a cigar bc for some, kuzi I imagine, this is probably the most enjoyable way to smoke a cigar. All I'm saying is that it wasn't enjoyable for me. I don't think you guys will see anymore reviews from me, not that I was good at it to begin with. I might jump on right after I smoke a cigar that was exceptional and give a lil breakdown but that'll be about it.

I just wanted to know if anyone else felt the same way about this?

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    it is enjoyable for me. I just sit outside with my pen and notebook and listen to the radio.

i do have to admit though, there are times where i just wanna smoke a cigar. this is why i dont revew every cigar i smoke. sometimes just sitting around with good company is what i want... or a good walk. this is the reason why i have not reviewed the 5 vegas Cask strength. (i probably never will because its hard to find em now a days) i had some but when i felt like smoking it i didnt feel like reviewing it.

i also find myself deciding to smoke or not to smoke a cigar based on if i have reviewd it yet. it really limits my choices at times.

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    That was also happening, I was looking at cigars and thinking hmm do I wanna review this one? Does it need more rest before a review?, etc.
  • Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    I never sit down with the intent to review a cigar; sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. That was probably the birth of the RRS; off the cuff quick and dirty rating. Unfortunately I am not one to identify flavors and/or nuances of flavors, so the more in-depth descriptions are best left to those who can.

I can see there are some who get their enjoyment not only from the act of smoking the cigar, but from analyzing it as well. But if it is becoming an issue for you bud...just sit and smoke. ;)
    Thats what I'm doing smoke :D .... I enjoy picking out flavors but doing it leisurally and not trying to force it.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    Thats what I'm doing smoke :D .... I enjoy picking out flavors but doing it leisurally and not trying to force it.
    Sit back ,relax and if something special comes through make a mental note, but I dont worry over an exact description of.. does this taste like mocha or chocolate, straw or grass..., It's did I enjoy the cigar or not. Would I reccomend this cigar or not, would I like more of these, Do I want to go online and buy more even before I even finish the one I'm smoking.
  • dep691dep691 Posts: 311

I agree with you maddy about smoking a cigar just to review it can take the enjoyment out of the smoke. Besides I have never been that good at it to begin with,,,,,lol.

On a side note I see you have mentioned the tats and 601's. I've also started smoking these I'm really starting to enjoy the 601 green.

The Green is very good, my fave is the red/blue. Speaking of Tats I smoked a Tat Red Exclusivo Lado Occidental the other day, holy hell!
    I bought a box of the 2006 cojonu now you want to talk about a cigar that has an awsome pepper profile that isn't too over the top this one is it. Is the red/blue the maduro?
    The 2006 is very, very good but the 2003 will blow you away, IF you can find one.

Yes it is a maduro.
    the worst part about me doing reviews is that i have to transfer them from my notebook to the computer. If i had a laptop i wouldnt have to.

on second thought, i like being able to tape the bands into the notebook.

I'll have to try the 2003, they are becoming a hard cigar to come by with many others in the line. I've been getting away from maduro cigars lately, don't know why exactly, getting more of the naturals.

I still love maduros but I have been shying away from them as well. Intentionally, really, to force myself to try more.

Have you had the Tat Black?

Tried to get some but everyone was out of stock by the time I was able to place an order. You?

Yea I have 3 in the humi still .. My B&M just got them in. I can give you their webpage if you wanna try to order them from them.

I will tell you they aren't the powerhouse that most other Tats are but they are nonetheless still decent cigars.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Arriving a bit late to the discussion, I'll just say I agree, maddy. I like doing reviews for a couple of reasons. One, as you mentioned, it gives me a record of which cigars I liked or didn't like, and why. Two, it's a useful way to develop your palate. When as go through the process of smoking a cigar, you're thinking, "How would I describe this to the guys on ccom?" you pay more attention to everything -- the pre-light flavor and draw, the early flavor, how it develops, etc., and you want to find the most precise description you can for what you're tasting.

Besides being a good way to educate your palate, that can be fun. But, like you said, maddy, sometimes you just want to smoke a cigar. Sometimes paying attention to everything just gets in the way.

I do much fewer reviews now than I did a month ago. Partly that's just because I've been smoking fewer new-to-me cigars, but partly it's because I haven't wanted to pay such close attention.
    Good thoughts urbs. Another thing is so much of how a cigar tastes is reliant on what you ate, drank, kissed that day and I thoroughly enjoy smoking shortly after dinner, which I know skews the flavors pretty drastically.
    yes but you can dop things like drink water or milk to get your mouth back to a more normal state. Im not trying to talk y ou into reviewing. I understand that sometimes a full on review is more work than you want to put into a cigar. and i dont blame you.

i can tell you that nobody will think any less of you if you dont review cigars.
    Yea I know about the water and milk. I hate milk though, it turns into some good cheese and makes a wonderful gravy other than that I could do without it.

I'm not really good at reviews anyways, its kind of just a bunch of random thoughts so you guys won't be missing much anyways.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    kuzi16:
    yes but you can dop things like drink water or milk to get your mouth back to a more normal state. Im not trying to talk y ou into reviewing. I understand that sometimes a full on review is more work than you want to put into a cigar. and i dont blame you.

i can tell you that nobody could think any less of you if you dont review cigars.
    fixed that for you, kuzi ;)
    dutyje:
    kuzi16:

i can tell you that nobody could think any less of you if you dont review cigars.
    huh?
    madurofan:
    dutyje:
    kuzi16:

huh?
    Don't look at me, man... kuzi said it
    Dude I'm confused ...
    Yea I'm confused on that one to. As much as I would like to order the Tat blacks, man I have to pass. I just bought some boxes for aging, gotta let the whatever I want cash build back up.
    madurofan:
    Dude I'm confused ...
    You'll get it eventually.. it's like a new PTFTW puzzle :)
    If you weren't all the way the hell in TX I'd say we could sit down for one sometime, since I have a couple.
    dutyje:
    madurofan:
    Dude I'm confused ...
    You'll get it eventually.. it's like a new PTFTW puzzle :)
    You suck .... My wife does this *** and I just wanna beat her. Charlotte isn't that far, I could drive down there and whop ur ass you know.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    madurofan:
    You suck .... My wife does this *** and I just wanna beat her.
    If I had a wife and she sucked, I certainly wouldn't beat her for it. Unless she was bad at it. Or, you know, was into that kind of thing.
    LMAO!! It's a good thing I'm on mute because I'm on a conference call and burst out laughing.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    Dude I'm confused ...
    will/could think....changed your statement.
    urbino:
    madurofan:
    You suck .... My wife does this *** and I just wanna beat her.
    If I had a wife and she sucked, I certainly wouldn't beat her for it. Unless she was bad at it. Or, you know, was into that kind of thing.
    LMAO ... wrong ... so wrong

and .... PTFTW!