Home General Discussion
Options

Cedar paper?

Is there anywhere I can purchase the thin sheets of cedar that are found on cigars i.e CAO Black in bulk? I have found this to be my favorite method of lighting a cigar (not to mention it leaves my hand smelling like delicious smoked goodness).

Comments

• Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I had never understood how these work. I have never smoked a cigar that had such a wrapper on it. Does one simply light the cedar when lighting up?
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    No - do that and you'll get laughed at (yeah, a few of us have done it before) anything on the end of a cigar, cedar or band, comes off before lighting
  • Options
    jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    ive tried taking that thin wood and lighting it to light the cigar with, it wouldnt burn hot enough to be usefull in lighting a cigar.
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    LMAO...The cedar wrap is basically just ornamental. As far as lighting goes, well... cedar strips (known as spills) used to be THE way to light your cigars - anything else was considered blasphemy. You would take the strip, light it off a candle or other flame, and then light your cigar with it. I've looked around a bit, but unfortunately I've never been able to find someone that sells cedar spills these days, so you may just be stuck with breaking up the cedar sleeves.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    A lot of Oliva boxes come with thin ceday sheets in them also. I've seen them laying around at cigar shops for just this reason.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    madurofan:
    A lot of Oliva boxes come with thin ceday sheets in them also. I've seen them laying around at cigar shops for just this reason.
    If I were going to use cedar to light with, that'd be what I'd use, thicker and I think it would carry a flame better. The cedar bands just never do it for me, I can't keep them burning long enough.
  • Options
    ljlljl Posts: 819
    Hays:
    As far as lighting goes, well... cedar strips (known as spills) used to be THE way to light your cigars - anything else was considered blasphemy. You would take the strip, light it off a candle or other flame, and then light your cigar with it.

I love a bit of cigar history like this^. There are some decent sheet dividers in ITC super fuerte boxes. You could probably break those up for this. Usually ITCs are so cheap without the box it's hard to justify it for this.
  • Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Cedar wrap is to aid in humidification....
  • Options
    wingertgwingertg Posts: 13
    You can usually find sheets of cedar at a specialty wood working store. They will usually come as thin sheets in random sizes. Just look for cedar veneer or ask someone to help you. You can also purchase some from Rockler.com