Home General Discussion
Options

Aging

Comments

• Options
    CaptCapt Posts: 127 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    you sent me the gurkha legend. its from 4-06. i kinda got confused about what you were saying at that point, if you could clarify: were you saying the legend ages well or was past its prime ?
    Kuzi, I sent you one, but I also included one in one of the contest boxes. And yes, Gurkha age well.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Capt:
    kuzi16:
    you sent me the gurkha legend. its from 4-06. i kinda got confused about what you were saying at that point, if you could clarify: were you saying the legend ages well or was past its prime ?
    Kuzi, I sent you one, but I also included one in one of the contest boxes. And yes, Gurkha age well.
    Gents, I am currently in possesion of a Gurkha Legend dated 06/06, that previously resided in Michigan. A real beauty that I will have great difficulty keeping my lips off of. ( It was sent to me naked ! ) Do you keep all your cigars that way Capt. ?
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Lasabar:
    P.s. what if we all chipped in a cigar or two and then we put them in a time capsule and buried it for years. Then we all have one huge bash and dig them up and smoke 'em!
    My idea so you guys can send them to me and I'll bury it

p.s. I have heard of cigars dissolving over time, so the cigars may not be there when we open 'er back up. The only way to combat this is to buy really expensive cigars, something about the tobacco or sumpin'. So make sure those OpusX's and 1926's make their way to my house. PM me if you need my address!
    Great idea, lassy! I just boxed up some GoF's and Davidoffs and shipped them your way.
  • Options
    Capt:
    I had to go back to the original post, and re-read, and read, and read, and read again. This post will only include non-Cuban cigars, as this seems to be what we are talking about.........
    Oh Capt my Capt -- why did that post need to be narrowed down to NC's? Is there something so particularly different about Cubans that the rest of your information didn't apply?
  • Options
    CaptCapt Posts: 127 ✭✭
    dutyje:
    Capt:
    I had to go back to the original post, and re-read, and read, and read, and read again. This post will only include non-Cuban cigars, as this seems to be what we are talking about.........
    Oh Capt my Capt -- why did that post need to be narrowed down to NC's? Is there something so particularly different about Cubans that the rest of your information didn't apply?
    Not really, that is what you guys were referring to, so that is what I stuck with.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    I have a question along these lines. I was considering using the crystal tubadors (with corks) from a box of Astral Grand Reserve 1992 that I have aquired to age some premium cigars in. My thinking was that on top of my humidor that keeping these cigars seperate from each other and other cigars in the humidor would help them from passing flavours between them, as I only want to taste the aged premium without any added flavours from the other cigars kept in the humidor. Would these act as a good barrier so there is no transfer of flavours or volitile oils from one cigar to the next do you think? There are also cedar sleeves inside the tubadors, should I remove them so as not to have an influence from the original Astrals that were kept in them? One more question. How do I determine the RH inside these Crystal Tubadors? Or do I just assume that since it is inside my main Humidor it has the same RH as that environment? Thanks for any help you can offer.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Kuzi, not to be an @ss here but whether or not you care about this doesn't change my wanting to discuss this one way or the other. If you don't think it matters state that but to try and belittle a professionals observation as irrelevant because you disagree with it ... Dude I thought you were above that.

Capt, thanks for the info. Very glad you put your expertise/opinion in on this.

I just want to say I wasn't try to start any wars or a game of pick sides here, merely just passing on info given to me by a professional. Take it for what you will. The part I thought was important and that I strongly agree with is that the process of aging a cigar is CHANGING the cigar. Now whether you think that change is for better or worse is purely opinion but it is a change. The part about box aging vs. loose aging was this mans take, not mine, just something that had me thinking since I heard it and wanted to throw it out there for discussion. I have nothing to base this on as I've never box aged anything.

Now I will say that I tend to like "fresh" cigars. The "bite" that you guys are trying to get rid of in the aging process is part of what I enjoy about full bodied cigars and when that is lost it isn't a good thing to me.

I also want to say that I don't think taking a cigar from your humidor that has been aging for years and comparing it to a cigar fresh off a shelf at the B&M is a valid comparison. To many things can skew this blends change a little over time, the tobacco in one of the cigars could be from a better year than the other, and so on. I've smoked aged cigars on a number of occasions but, other than RP Sungrown's, I haven't had the luxury of smoking sticks from the same box as they age which IMHO would be the only valid analysis of whether a cigar is better fresh or with 1,2,3, 10 years of age on it.
  • Options
    Capt:
    dutyje:
    Capt:
    Not really, that is what you guys were referring to, so that is what I stuck with.
    I think that capt may have been referring to the commonly accepted idea that ISOMs are better with age. Am I correct capt?
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    Kuzi, not to be an @ss here but whether or not you care about this doesn't change my wanting to discuss this one way or the other. If you don't think it matters state that but to try and belittle a professionals observation as irrelevant because you disagree with it ... Dude I thought you were above that
    if you read the rest of that post you will see that i actually want to run the experiment myself. What i dont care about is if it changes the flavor so much. Its good information to know, even if it doesnt affect your life or how you will age your cigars. I dont disagree with the guys statement som uch as think it wont change the flavor to the point were anyone can detect a taste difference. I wasnt trying to be a jerk about it. Im sorry if it read like that. I assure you it was not my intention to belittle the topic or thoughts being discussed.

im also the one that gave it the first 5 star rating. i thought the thread was bringing out the best in all of us. it made us think.

Maddy, PM sent.

edit: i just reread the post in question. I can see how it could be read as me being a jerk. I guess overly short and to the point comments along those lines should be avoided in situations like that. ... i can be tactless sometimes. live and learn.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    kuzi16:
    i can be tactless sometimes. live and learn.
    Happens to all of us, kuz.
  • Options
    Eh I was probably the one being the @ss here. I should've known what you meant just caught me wrong at that moment, you know that goes. I'm often the tactless(read: an @ssh0le). Oh well no hard feelings I hope.

I hope everyone else understands kuzi and I's mutual respect for each other. We throw things back and forth that I doubt either of us would say to most other people and it isn't meant as harshly as it often comes across.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    Eh I was probably the one being the @ss here. I should've known what you meant just caught me wrong at that moment, you know that goes.
    Happens to all of us, maddy. We know you and kuz lurrrv each other.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    im 110% sure it wasnt just you. ive worked almost 40 hours in the last 3 days and my week isnt over yet. Ive been a cranky SOB as of late and im trying not to post too much because of the "jerk factor"
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    im 110% sure it wasnt just you. ive worked almost 40 hours in the last 3 days and my week isnt over yet. Ive been a cranky SOB as of late and im trying not to post too much because of the "jerk factor"
    Well if I tried to eliminate the "jerk factor" all that would be left is the "pervert"
  • Options
    Well, you know, I wasn't gonna say anything, but . . .
  • Options
    urbino:
    Well, you know, I wasn't gonna say anything, but . . .
    speaking of perverts ...
  • Options
    That's how I knew. You're always at the meetings.
  • Options
    I'm glad we started meeting its really helped, after listening to your stories I feel so much better abotu myself ...
  • Options
    Ha. It's true. My perversion heals others. It's my gift to humanity.
  • Options
    urbino:
    LMAO ...
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    urbino:

Needless to say you've touched many people in many different ways...

On a completely un-related note, stay away from my kids

And by that I don't mean Biological kids... the ones locked in my basement, them's are mine!
  • Options
    Dude, that's just wrong. If you love someone, set them free.
  • Options
    WOW this thread went terribly wrong. When urbs says its wrong its WRONG!
  • Options
    Well kids need sunshine, doggone it. Keepin' 'em in the basement . . . I mean, a man's got to draw the line somewhere.
  • Options
    and I thought that greenhouse you were building was for tobacco
  • Options
    dutyje:
    and I thought that greenhouse you were building was for tobacco
    Dammit I spit sprite zero on my screen!
  • Options
    Ha!

I'd just like to point out, btw, that we're not actually off topic. We're still talking about aging.
  • Options
    urbino:
    Ha!

I'd just like to point out, btw, that we're not actually off topic. We're still talking about aging.
    LMAO!!!!!!!!! I feel I'm some how committing a crime just reading this
  • Options
    DiasFlakDiasFlak Posts: 342 ✭✭
    i havent viewed this thread in awhile and it went from aging to locking your kids in the basement wow
  • Options
    DiasFlak:
    i havent viewed this thread in awhile and it went from aging to locking your kids in the basement wow
    You mis-read, not YOUR kids.