Home General Discussion
Options

Humidor seasoning problems...?

Long story short, I picked up a humidor (http://www.humidorvault.com/The-Capri-Glasstop-50ct-Cigar-Humidor-p/hum-25hyg glasstop.htm) and seem to be having problems getting it to season! I read the reviews and many people suggested rubbing the inside down with a soaked sponge (distilled water of coarse), charge humidor and fill a shot glass with the water as well. I did that and within about three days I was getting a solid reading of 70 on hygrometer. Last night I pulled the shot glass out and placed a couple sticks in there. This morning the hygrometer was reading in the upper 50s lower 60s. I reasoned and it's already ready mid 70s however I'm curious why it would've jumped down so drastically like that overnight.

Edit: I forgot to mention I am using propylene glycol in the humidifier.

Comments

• Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Cause you cigars soaked up some of the humidity...

Easy fix is to slowly ad cigars and let the humidity levels even out. But before all that are you using a digital hydrometer?
    If not you need to be. (Ccom sells some good ones for a reasonable price.)
    It will give you a more accurate reading than an analog.

• Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    brainfrz:
    I read the reviews and many people suggested rubbing the inside down with a soaked sponge (distilled water of coarse), charge humidor and fill a shot glass with the water as well.
    Many people are impatient idiots who can't wait an extra 2-3 days - don't always believe the popular hype. Take the cigars out, put them in a ziplock bag with a water pillow, and put a large, shallow dish of distilled water in your humi and put your humidifying device in there too (fully charged) - leave it there for 2 days and 2 nights; then put the cigars back in with a newly charged humidifier.
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    The short answer is: beads.

The juice never worked for me. Since I've switched to beads, I've never had a problem. They need to be recharged the same as the sponges, just not as often. Plus, they always hold rh steady at 65%-70%
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    brainfrzbrainfrz Posts: 73
    Thank you all for your responses. I'll let it sit again for a little bit longer with the open water and humidifier charged and give it a second go. Sounds like I might have jumped the gun or the cigars I put in there were bone dry!
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Be careful putting "bone-dry" cigars into a fully charged humi.......... the fillers will take in the moisture first and expand causing the wrapper to split....... Dried out cigars need to be brought back up to normal rh very slowly. I'd google some sites for "restoring dried out cigars" before trying it yourself.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lilwing88:
    The short answer is: beads.

The juice never worked for me. Since I've switched to beads, I've never had a problem. They need to be recharged the same as the sponges, just not as often. Plus, they always hold rh steady at 65%-70%

Actually, I believe charging the beads, no matter how you do it, is part of the problem. If you'll go to the search bar at the top of the page and do a search for 'beads' under general discussion, and then look for my post of 09/06/2009 at 5:14 pm, it'll explain it fairly well, I think.

I'd give you a link to that post but I can't figure out how to do very much on this fershlugginer website, if you get my drift.

After you've read that post, if you have any questions please let me know.

Marty

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I may have figured out how to re-vitalize that old post....let's try this: a 'copy & paste' .

Ya know, I may be waaayy out in left field but, when you mention saturating the beads my interest perks right up. You may have read where I've said this before on this forum (a number of times), but I have great success with the Heartfelt beads by not saturating them at all!! If I read the technical stuff on Heartfelt's website correctly, one doesn't have to wet the beads at all.

I put distilled water in my humidifier and leave the beads dry. My interpretation of what Heartfelt says about their beads is that they're designed to suck excess moisture out of the air or release moisture back into the air when necessary. I just don't understand what all the fuss is about.

I have the 65% beads and my RH is almost always between 62% and 68%, just where I prefer my sticks to be for smoking. (Actually, I prefer them to be closer to 62%).

It seems to me that, since Heartfelt designs beads that are used in museums to protect valuable works of art, I can't see a bunch of museum guards running around saturating the beads so they'll work properly.

Like I said, maybe I'm way out in left field.............but it's tough to argue with success.

Marty

Some expensive sour mash bourbon, an excellent handmade cigar, an exceptional woman....Life is good! _____________________________ Life is too short for bad cigars, Grasshopper _____________________________
  • Options
    Alright, so several days after reseasoning with a solid reading of 70% humidity, I pulled the shto glass of water out, placed cigars in and yet again watched humidity plummit to 60%.  It's been a couple days with the cigars sitting in there and it looks like the humiditiy might have raised maybe 1%.  Any ideas?  What is a relatevily cheap yet reliable digital hygrometer?  Is this normal for it to drop like that when placing cigars in there?  I've got a 50ct humidor and placing 7 cigars in there.  All of which I just purchased from this site and they were shipped with a humidity pillow.  Again, thank you all for your responses- I'm a total newbie when it comes to this.
  • Options
    txjayhawktxjayhawk Posts: 311
    brainfrz:
    Alright, so several days after reseasoning with a solid reading of 70% humidity, I pulled the shto glass of water out, placed cigars in and yet again watched humidity plummit to 60%.  It's been a couple days with the cigars sitting in there and it looks like the humiditiy might have raised maybe 1%.  Any ideas?  What is a relatevily cheap yet reliable digital hygrometer?  Is this normal for it to drop like that when placing cigars in there?  I've got a 50ct humidor and placing 7 cigars in there.  All of which I just purchased from this site and they were shipped with a humidity pillow.  Again, thank you all for your responses- I'm a total newbie when it comes to this.
    are you running an analog right now? if so, heres how you fix it...place it in your hand...open the trash can...put hand over trash can...drop analog in trash can...take trash out. Go spend the money on a reliable digital hygrometer. Ive been runninng 3 in my humidor. One is on my Hydra Unit (bottom shelf), one wireless weather station (mounted middle shelf), and my xikar up on the top in lowest humidity area. It is worth the 15-25 bucks for the digital. Also you may want to check the seal. is the glass on the top actually sealed up? if not you may want to use a little aquarium sealant to fix it...I know I had that problem with my 1st humidor (it wasa cheapo) so I built my own. Also try the dollar bill test, and the sound test (it should make a nice wooshing soudn when you close it)
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Sounds like the cigars themselves are the reason the humidity dropped, which is pretty normal - they're just adjusting to the humidor; I'd say just re-charge your humidity device and wait a bit longer - low 60's RH isn't that bad at all, and it should perk up once the cigars have finished absorbing humidity

As for a cheap hygrometer, I'm sure others will chime in, but I'm partial to the Xikar hygro on Amazon for about $17; just make sure that whatever hygro you buy, it's adjustable

• Options

txjayhawk:
    brainfrz:
    are you running an analog right now? if so, heres how you fix it...place it in your hand...open the trash can...put hand over trash can...drop analog in trash can...take trash out. Go spend the money on a reliable digital hygrometer. Ive been runninng 3 in my humidor. One is on my Hydra Unit (bottom shelf), one wireless weather station (mounted middle shelf), and my xikar up on the top in lowest humidity area. It is worth the 15-25 bucks for the digital.

I saw that coming.  Ha.  With my humidor though, there is a hole cut in it where you place the hygrometer so I will need to keep it there to plug that hole.  I've seen the Xikar on amazon for roughly $20, I might pull the trigger on that.  All that aside, do you think I'm probably fine, it's just my hygrometer with bad readings?

• Options
    brainfrz:

txjayhawk:
    brainfrz:
    are you running an analog right now? if so, heres how you fix it...place it in your hand...open the trash can...put hand over trash can...drop analog in trash can...take trash out. Go spend the money on a reliable digital hygrometer. Ive been runninng 3 in my humidor. One is on my Hydra Unit (bottom shelf), one wireless weather station (mounted middle shelf), and my xikar up on the top in lowest humidity area. It is worth the 15-25 bucks for the digital.

I saw that coming.  Ha.  With my humidor though, there is a hole cut in it where you place the hygrometer so I will need to keep it there to plug that hole.  I've seen the Xikar on amazon for roughly $20, I might pull the trigger on that.  All that aside, do you think I'm probably fine, it's just my hygrometer with bad readings?

only way to really know that is to smoke one that has been in there for a while. If the burn is all messed up or a quality cigar falls apart then you have a problem. I went through something very similar when I built my cabinet. First I was pissed cuz i thought I would have to redo the whole damn thing, but it just took a little longer to season, and now it holds at 67-62. Just be patient...and get the digital hygro! Did you ever do the salt test to see if your analog is even correct? cuz all this could be for nothing if you havent calibrated it.
  • Options
    txjayhawk:
    brainfrz:

txjayhawk:
    brainfrz:

only way to really know that is to smoke one that has been in there for a while. If the burn is all messed up or a quality cigar falls apart then you have a problem. I went through something very similar when I built my cabinet. First I was pissed cuz i thought I would have to redo the whole damn thing, but it just took a little longer to season, and now it holds at 67-62. Just be patient...and get the digital hygro! Did you ever do the salt test to see if your analog is even correct? cuz all this could be for nothing if you havent calibrated it.

I did not calibrate it.  I'll chalk that up to newbie error.  I think this weekend I'll order the Xikar digital hygrometer and give that a whirl.

• Options
    brainfrz:
    txjayhawk:
    brainfrz:

txjayhawk:
    brainfrz:

I did not calibrate it.  I'll chalk that up to newbie error.  I think this weekend I'll order the Xikar digital hygrometer and give that a whirl.

good plan...if you want to calibrate the analog here what you do...go get a a small dish...like a shot glass again...fill it w/ salt...put a few drops of distilled water on it (just enough to moisten it, but you dont want water pooling in it) and put it in to your empty humi for a few hours...your analong should read 75% at that point. If it doesnt adjust it by turning the the dial with a screwdriver to make it say 75%.
  • Options
    minibeezyminibeezy Posts: 257
    brainfrz:
    txjayhawk:
    brainfrz:

txjayhawk:
    brainfrz:

You can do the salt test like jayhawk suggested, or just pick up the boveda calibration kit (3-4 bucks) when you order your hygrometer. Just put the hygrometer in the bag, seal it, let it set for 24-36 hours and it's done.
  • Options
    minibeezy:
    brainfrz:
    txjayhawk:
    brainfrz:

txjayhawk:
    brainfrz:

You can do the salt test like jayhawk suggested, or just pick up the boveda calibration kit (3-4 bucks) when you order your hygrometer. Just put the hygrometer in the bag, seal it, let it set for 24-36 hours and it's done.

Sounds like a winner- I will order that along with the digital hygrometer this weekend.  Thanks all for nudging me in the right direction!

• Options
    Just an update- got my Xikar digital hygrometer last week with the Boveda calibration bag. After three days it was reading a solid 72 so I set it to 75. Placed in my humidor and it's reading a solid 70. Looks like I'm good after all. Money well spent, I can sleep at night now.