Home General Discussion
Options

To Foodies...

HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
So, I have a question for those of you that consider yourself "foodies" (or really anyone that feels like contributing). I recently had a phone call from my older sister detailing how smoking kills tastebuds, and how she was surprised that I continue smoking cigars when I'm such a foodie.... Well, thing is, I've only been smoking for 8 months or, so my question is this:

Have any of you noticed a detraction in your ability to taste? I would think this would be rather hard to detect, but that's why I'm asking. Thoughts?
¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨

Comments

• Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only wish it did. I still eat like I have nine rectums!

I've been smoking cigars for several years, although man mades for only about a year and I have not noticed any diminished taste.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    You know what Hays I had the same thought.
    I was wondering why people tend to start gravitating towards stronger and stronger smokes.
    I might cut back and buck the trend try not smoking for awhile.

• Options
    undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    Just add more spices. NEXT!!
  • Options
    RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    Hays:
    So, I have a question for those of you that consider yourself "foodies" (or really anyone that feels like contributing). I recently had a phone call from my older sister detailing how smoking kills tastebuds, and how she was surprised that I continue smoking cigars when I'm such a foodie.... Well, thing is, I've only been smoking for 8 months or, so my question is this:

Have any of you noticed a detraction in your ability to taste? I would think this would be rather hard to detect, but that's why I'm asking. Thoughts?

Ok , I smoked cigs from the age of 9 to 39, 30 years, I also smoked everything else that could be smoked at one time and have alwasy smoked cigars here and there. I quit smokeing cigs and everything else over 10 years ago and my Cigar smoking over the last 10 years or so has been one here and there maybe 20-30 cigars a year until the last year i have been getting in 1-3 a week.
    My taste buds radically improved since i quit smoking cigs, i also got a more appreciative taste for fine cigars and noticing the flavors.
    My Food tastes have changed too over the years.
    I also like different cigars after diffferent meals
    Just some of my thoughts which are not the opinion of this or any of this stations affiliates.... LOL
    Peace
  • Options
    ScottUScottU Posts: 194
    Granted I've only been smoking for two years, I would have to honestly say that I think my taste buds have improved... I spend a lot of time while I am smoking paying attention to the different tastes of the stick, in turn it has helped me get more flavor out of everything I eat/drink and a better sense of what the individual flavors are that make up the goodness...
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    ScottU:
    Granted I've only been smoking for two years, I would have to honestly say that I think my taste buds have improved... I spend a lot of time while I am smoking paying attention to the different tastes of the stick, in turn it has helped me get more flavor out of everything I eat/drink and a better sense of what the individual flavors are that make up the goodness...
    This has been my perceived experience as well, and my response to my sister was as such.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    Vince_OVince_O Posts: 281 ✭✭
    I am a retired chef with over 40 years in the kitchen, all my chef friends are all cgar smokers , in fact all my non chef friends are cigar smokers , yea i do have a few friends who dont smoke cigars but they are always welcome to stop here & have one , Cigars enhance your life , they TASTE great, I have smoked an average of 10 cigars a day for the past 15 years , its getting expencive & I have cut back to about 4 now that i have retired ,BUT since i now work in a cigar shop the count will go back up, cigars, single malt whisky coffee all great tasting stuff, I can still tell when the seasoning is off , a Gift from God having great taste buds ...... keep on smoking & Tasting ! Enjoy, Vince
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think cigar smoking enhances some of my taste of certain things. I could see if you burned your mouth over and over how you could lose some taste buds. I think the more I smoke the more my pallet seems to be developing and experiencing new things. I would almost say that smoking cigars is enhancing my sense of taste.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:
    You know what Hays I had the same thought.
    I was wondering why people tend to start gravitating towards stronger and stronger smokes.
    I might cut back and buck the trend try not smoking for awhile.

I'm thinking about this too. Naaaahhhh, this is to much fun. LOL
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Using google magic, I can't seem to find anything that claims smoking kills tastes buds. There are a few people who claim after quitting cigs, food tasted better, but this isn't exactly scientific.
  • Options
    undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    I don't know much, but I do know that 90% of taste is actually from your nose. The food goes in your mouth and the tongue picks up certain things such as salt, bitter, sour, sweet etc. but in reality most of what you taste come from it traveling through your sinuses and to your now. When one smokes, your sinuses become inflamed so you are not able to smell (taste) as well. If somebody smokes cigarettes all day long, their sinuses don't have time to relax and become less inflamed. If you enjoy a cigar a few times a week, your body naturally will heal itself.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I would guess that your sister, like many people, has lumped in cigars in with ciggarettes. Ten years ago when I smoked cigarettes I couldn't taste or smell anything. Food or otherwise. Once I quit I noticed how much more flavor food had.

Now with cigars, my sense of taste has stayed the same or maybe gotten better. As I've developed my palate my ability to notice subtleties and nuances in food has increased dramatically. I don't smoke everyday and I give my mouth time to rest. I can tell when I've had enough when I get that "burned" tongue feeling. But I usually smoke full bodied cigars too, so wouldn't sweat it.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    In my experience, smoking dulls taste buds temporarily... like, WHILE you are smoking, and maybe for a short time after. I have never noticed any permanent degradation though. I personally never smoke a cigar before or during a meal for two reasons. The first being that I tend to gravitate towards stronger sticks, and can get a little woozy without having eaten a meal first. The second is that the flavor of the cigar tends to overwhelm my taste buds, so it is better saved for after dinner. Just my $.02
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    If I smoke a cigar before dinner, I notice a different taste in the food, but that's only temporary. If I have a glass of wine or a spirit with my cigar, I think it actually enhances the drink and brings out more flavors in the drink and in cigar.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    I smoke cigarettes and cigars. I always wait a couple of hours after a cigarette before having a cigar, a cigar will taste completely different right after a cigarette and visa versa. smoking dules you taste end of story. Just ask my blood pressure how much salt I have to put onto food to taste it. I mean poke yourself in the arm a couple of hundred times a day in the same spot for weeks, eventually it will feel different, same idea different sense.
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    A great man once said: "My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them."
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i have found that cigar smoking has increased my ability to taste.
    i pay so much more attention to taste now than i have ever before. almost all of it is thanks to cigars.
  • Options
    doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    I quit smoking cigarrettes last year and noticed a HUGE difference in my ability to taste food. I cycle smoke through my nose alot, with both cigs and cigars, and attribute the huge difference to that fact.

As for cigars dulling your sense of taste I think it definitely has to do with how often you smoke a stogie, and how much smoke you retrohale. As long as you give your body some rest time between smokes your sinus lining will naturally heal.

Also, because the flavors in cigarsmoke are mostly oil based they will pair well with spirits and foods with oil/fat components in them since the smoke oils will be soluble in them. This is one of the main reasons that a glass of milk will both quench the fire from a mouth full of hot wings (the milk fat will dissolve the capsasin in peppers), and help clean the pallette of cigar smoke (per Urbino's suggestion in a different thread).

Even though you've only been smoking 8 months it's how often you smoke that I think counts most. If you can still pick up all the flavors you're used to then no need to worry!
  • Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Redtailhawkoz:
    Hays:

Ok , I smoked cigs. I also smoked everything else that could be smoked at one time and have alwasy smoked cigars here and there. I quit smokeing cigs 8 years ago and my Cigar smoking over the last 10 years or so has been one here and there maybe 20-30 cigars a year until the last year i have been getting in 1-3 a week.
    My taste buds radically improved since i quit smoking cigs, i also got a more appreciative taste for fine cigars and noticing the flavors.
    My Food tastes have changed too over the years.
    I also like different cigars after diffferent meals
    Peace
    Ditto (Pretty much sums it up for me as well)