Home General Discussion
Options

How do you keep track of what’s in your humidor?

I’m trying to get ideas on how to keep track of what’s in my humidor and when it was placed.  How do you guys do it?

Comments

• Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Some people keep journals. There's websites that have software for spreadsheets to keep track of your humidor. If you have an iphone, there's an app for it. Me? I just use the 'ol noggin.... I've got a pretty insane memory for details. I can't remember to get eggs when I go to the store, or to change the oil on the car, but I know almost exactly when I got the GOF that's resting in my humi!!!
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    ummm by smoking a lot.

• Options
    brainfrzbrainfrz Posts: 73

stephen_hannibal:
    ummm by smoking a lot.

You all probably don't want to hear this however I smoke maybe 1-2 a week.  So I'm not really checking it out that often.

• Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    I can't help sneaking a peek every now and then, so that's how I remember what I have available . . . no idea what I'm gonna do once I get enough that I can stack them
  • Options
    Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    I use a program called Cigar Briefcase. It is a free download online and it lets you input the cigar brand, name, type, country, length, ring gauge, date purchased, date smoked, rating, price, where you got it and a spot for notes. It keeps track of what you have in the humidor and you can move it to your humidor history so it keeps track of what you have had in there as well. Its a basic program but it works well.
  • Options

Dustin1981:
    I use a program called Cigar Briefcase. It is a free download online and it lets you input the cigar brand, name, type, country, length, ring gauge, date purchased, date smoked, rating, price, where you got it and a spot for notes. It keeps track of what you have in the humidor and you can move it to your humidor history so it keeps track of what you have had in there as well. Its a basic program but it works well.

Looks good, I think I'll give that a try.  i like the HumidorHistory feature.

• Options
    txjayhawktxjayhawk Posts: 311
    Dustin1981:
    how do you like that program? I just looked at it and am pretty pumped about it! how long did it take you to pump in all your info? I have about 500 in there right now...so it could take a while of data entry...
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Here's what I do:

I keep the cigars that are in my regular rotation in my smoking humidor. Those are arranged according to wrapper and brand. Overflow of those sticks go into a specific cooler that's sole purpose is to stock the smoking humidor. I then have an aging humidor that keeps the things I am aging. Finally I have another cooler that has singles, leftover, trades, cotm packs, and the new stuff I want to try. When I buy something new, this is the cooler that it usually gets put into, minus one stick to the aging humidor.

Cataloging and recording things down in a journal or program isn't something I do. I think I'd like to, but I don't have the time now. I do have the sticks I like written out in a text file so I have something to glance at and refresh my memory when ordering. If a stick is worth buying again I'll write it down in there.

I don't really keep track of age other that by memory. One of the guys I've traded with on here, alienmspnt, will put a little white label on each stick and date it. It seems really smart, and easy to do, so I think I may start doing that.
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    I have an excel spreadsheet that a few guys on here use. It works well, but I haven't updated it in a while due to pure laziness. If anyone wants it, PM me your email and I'll send it to you.

CigarBriefcase? I'll have to check that out.

I also label every cigar that comes in with a date. I have labels that I write one and stick it to the cello.
  • Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    I tag each one with a microchip that interfaces directly using a wireless/bluetooth neural input capacity I had surgically implanted for exactly this purpose. The chip is electroluminescent and thus glows when I have a craving for said cigar. It's easy, and just a matter of finding the glowing stick.

Actually, I just kind of like to surprise myself. I was digging through the other day and found a sweet surprise; Camacho Pre Embargo with a year and a half on it. I just love that feeling.

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    its all in my head.
    steel trap baby.
  • Options
    cooch36cooch36 Posts: 714 ✭✭
    i keep a log w dates recieved my reviews on cigars and i date the wrapper as i tend to get replacements.
  • Options
    The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    I put a label on each cigar when I get it with the month and year. Works good for me
  • Options
    TatuajeVI:
    I have an excel spreadsheet that a few guys on here use. It works well, but I haven't updated it in a while due to pure laziness. If anyone wants it, PM me your email and I'll send it to you.

I also label every cigar that comes in with a date. I have labels that I write one and stick it to the cello.
    tat you have a PM
  • Options
    sent the spreadsheet to you, brain. need your email tx.
  • Options
    PM'd you back...sorry bout that.
  • Options
    Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    I agree with Wing on this one...some time ago I inquired about an app or software for tracking cigar inventory. I have several humidors and three large thermidors and two large tupperidors...I can just about tell you exactly what is in each of them. I keep a detailed journal of everything I smoke...(stiks that is...) I also keep each of my invoices so that I can have a better idea of how long I have had each item for my aging inventory. I would still love to have an application for my pc and I am almost convinced that I should buy an I-phone just because so many people have mentioned that they are the only ones with an appropriate app for cigar inventory. BTW None of the software offered at these websites have proven to be workable for me.
  • Options
    illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507

Dustin1981:

Hey think you can post a link to that site?

• Options
    Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    illinoisgolf99:

Dustin1981:

Sure I dont know if I am posting it as a like or just the page info but its this. http://www.vaagan.com/cigarbriefcase/ It has some brands in it already but you can just type it in as well. It might take some time if you have a large inventory but I like it. I dont think I would pay for it or anything but it does the job.
  • Options
    illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    Dustin1981:
    illinoisgolf99:

Dustin1981:

Sure I dont know if I am posting it as a like or just the page info but its this. http://www.vaagan.com/cigarbriefcase/ It has some brands in it already but you can just type it in as well. It might take some time if you have a large inventory but I like it. I dont think I would pay for it or anything but it does the job.

Thanks man I appreciate it!

• Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    TatuajeVI:

Tat. PM from me as well.

I also have an Excel spreadsheet (but it's crude).
    I also use Cigar Register. (It's OK)
    I have downloaded Cigar Briefcase but haven't entered anything in it yet so, I don't know if it's any good.
    Lastly, I have little labels I put the date (I put it in the Humi.) on the cello or the band.
  • Options
    Need your email KCW. Can't send attachments through PMs. :)
  • Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    TatuajeVI:
    Need your email KCW. Can't send attachments through PMs. :)
    PM Sent Tat. Thanks again.
  • Options
    Not a problem. Email sent to you. Enjoy.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I have an app for that! Seriously...I have an app on my Iphone called Mobile Stogie. It's a great tool. I entered my cigar inventory into it and update it everytime I smoke. Also exports it to an excel spreadsheet when you wanna email it out to someone. It's a great tool. Well worth the $3 I paid for it.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Howdy all, as we were all talking about this yesterday I downloaded the CigarBriefcase deal on to my computer. It is actually pretty cool! I couldnt get all of my smokes in but I got a good chunck (bout 200) in there in around an hour. Afterwards, I smoked a Gurk Empire IV, walked back to my computer, hit the "Add to my cigars" button, and it put all the info I had put in about that cigar over in to the basically the "smoked" screen and aloud me to write up a little review and rate it. Also, Phil, thanks for sending me that Excel sheet. IF I had multiple humis that one would work a heck of alot better.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    For everything that is in most of hy humis, I remember. Maybe not how many I have but what I have in there. As for tupperware and zip lock bags, I know some but not all. I have too many.
  • Options
    The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    I am going to try this Cigar Brief Case. Hope it works well
  • Options
    rwheelwright:
    For everything that is in most of hy humis, I remember. Maybe not how many I have but what I have in there. As for tupperware and zip lock bags, I know some but not all. I have too many.
    Send them to meee!!!!

Wheelie, I think it's your turn to PM me.
  • Options
    I'm torn between the spreadsheet and Cigar Briefcase. I have a Mac so I can easily use the spreadsheet, however I installed Briefcase on my work computer and it's got some nice bells and whistles.