Home General Discussion
Options

Doctors?

jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
Do we have any physicians among the BOTL on this forum? I'd be interested in knowing.

Surely somewhere out there are some medical-type doctors who enjoy an occasional quality cigar. Anybody??

Marty

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    not I, but one of the guys that frequents my B&M is a dentist. he claims to have a cardiologist friend who he often smokes with.
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Not a doctor, but in an awesome twist of irony, I'm in school for Respiratory Care.
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    I met an ER doctor at a b&m once...watched him smoke 3 sticks in a row...
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Not a doctor, but I am a Pharmacy technician. I would say about half of the Pharmacists I have worked with in my day are smokers in some form or another, and I know TONS of doctors who are smokers that I've met through work.
  • Options
    cliff tcliff t Posts: 16
    Been a Army PA ( retired right now though still working for the Army) 22 years
  • Options
    undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    I have 8 golfing buddies that are doctors. Only one doesn't smoke. Two smoke cigs (not sure why) and 5 smoke at least one cigar a day and a few on the weekends. I actually was at the sugeons (for post op) yesterday and becuase I smelled like a cigar he asked my what I smoke. I told him about this site and he said he'd check it out today. He didn't know about online purchases. He said he gets about 5 cigars a month from the B&M and it runs him about $50. He would like to enjoy them a little more in the nicer months but didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars per month. Well, I'm sure ccom will be getting an order in shortly becuase now he realizes that he can get the same sticks for a third of the price.
  • Options
    Paramedic in the military here...as long as I am creating the smoke..I consider it healthy...relatively anyways.
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    jbarker_18:
    Paramedic in the military here...as long as I am creating the smoke..I consider it healthy...relatively anyways.
    heh. Good one.

Thank you for your service.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    jbarker_18:
    Who are you trying to kid?

You are clearly a Monkey. (Shaking head) Some guy's eh?
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I'm not a doctor, but I met a guy who played one on tv once.
  • Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    I'm a doctor.... of love.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I took a group of doctors rafting down the Penobscot River several years ago and their advice was: do anything you want! Smoke cigarettes, smoke pot, smoke cigars, drink beer, drink liquor, whatever, just don't CHEW tobacco. Then they proceeded to show me the most god-awful color photographs of patients with large sections of their mouths surgically removed. I've been in therapy ever since.
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I say smoke away. You'll be just fine. I'm not a doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.
  • Options
    didn't know monkies could type , did ya, we've advanced a long ways since the beginning of time...and yes we even practice medicine...oh, damn.....i've dropped my banana again!
  • Options
    zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    bigharpoon:
    I took a group of doctors rafting down the Penobscot River several years ago and their advice was: do anything you want! Smoke cigarettes, smoke pot, smoke cigars, drink beer, drink liquor, whatever, just don't CHEW tobacco. Then they proceeded to show me the most god-awful color photographs of patients with large sections of their mouths surgically removed. I've been in therapy ever since.
    True to chewing tabacco, but no way can the say that smoking ciggs and all the other things age not going to affect your health in the long run. I know doctors and even dentists, and yes they smoke ciggs and cigars, but neither has said that it was not bad to do it.
  • Options
    NYHCx516xNYHCx516x Posts: 728
    Total side note... but related.

I have a crazy amount of sinus issues and asthma.
    Was at one of my many doctors yesterday, new guy, immunology doc (looking into why im always getting sinus infections and such). They of course asked if I smoked... so I brought up cigars. When I said i usually have less than 1 a week on average (sometimes none for weeks, sometimes 2 in a night).. he's like, well, you dont inhale into your lungs right? I said of course not. He asked if the smoke bothers my asthma, .. and oddly enough, it does not. Hes like, dont even worry then, there are plenty of other things you need to look out for. LOL.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    My dr. just says I need to lose weight.
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses, guys. My original reason for asking is because I'm hoping to get a clinical answer to a question or two - not relative to my health, per se, just health in general. I'm not after free medical advice.

And no offense to any non-medical folks out there but I'm looking for technical answers, not opinions. That's why the questions are addressed to medical-type folks.

I think it's a given that tobacco smoke isn't necessarily good for our health. We know it can cause cancer, heart disease, emphysema, etc. But my principal question is: what is it, specifically, that causes these things? Is it nicotine? Carbon monoxide? Carbon dioxide? (I don't know one 'oxide' from another). Or what?

As for nicotine, we know that cigarette tobacco isn't cured but cigar tobacco is. And we know that most of the nicotine goes away in the curing process. So, is nicotine the culprit?

Any clinical info any of you may care to share on this subject would be appreciated. Thanks, guys.

Marty

• Options
    As for emphysema, the chemicals added to tobacco..and there are many....cause the destruction of the alveoli when inhaled, which are the little air sacs in your lungs where the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide take place. Destroying those causes other diseases such as COPD, because the heart has to pump harder all the time to get oxygen to all parts of the body. So as long as you aren't inhaling, the risk is less than if you did. As for cancer, couldn't tell ya...I'm no Oncologist. I know people who have smoked for decades and never gotten cancer and then I know people who have used smokeless tobacco for far less time and gotten mouth cancer. Hope this helped.
  • Options
    RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    there was a Time in My life that I was Called "DR FEELGOOD" Motley Crue wrote a song about me!
  • Options
    jbarker_18:
    As for emphysema, the chemicals added to tobacco..and there are many....cause the destruction of the alveoli when inhaled, which are the little air sacs in your lungs where the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide take place.

I'm aware that a lot of chemicals are added to cigarette tobacco along with a lot of other crap such as bits of cardboard, etc and agents to heighten addiction, but are you saying that chemicals are added to cigar tobacco as well? I was under the impression that the curing process involved only air, temperature, and time.

Thanks muchly for the info. I appreciate it. Inquiring minds want to know......

Marty

• Options
    Redtailhawkoz:
    there was a Time in My life that I was Called "DR FEELGOOD" Motley Crue wrote a song about me!

Oh, yeah. So that was you, huh? Hhmmm.

You're bad.

Marty

• Options
    Sorry, was referring to cigarettes as to the chemical additives. As for cigar tobacco, I'm fairly sure there are compunds such as insecticide that are used to help protect the tobacco crop.....there is always some residual amount leftover. This is where the "Organic", issue begins, but not for me. As far as I know, you are correct about the curing process. That being said, I'll stick to cigars, as long as it's not going into your lungs, the risk of respiratory illness is greatly reduced. If i ever do get sick...I'll blame it on greenhouse gasses.
  • Options
    TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    This is sort like asking if anyone knows race car drivers who speed. As if speeding would become safe....