Home Non Cigar Related

weekend!

2»

Comments

• urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Dude. Is that safe? (For you or the community you serve?)
  • Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    Structural departments are set up a little differently, Urbino. While the Capt may be "on" for 72 hours, they sleep during their normal nightime hours at the station. However, if he is in a large city, or even a busy station, than that sleep can be distrubed repeatedly when he has to don turnouts and respond to calls at all hours. I have many friends in structure departments, and en masse they like the schedule, usually 24 on 48-72 off. But they can swap shifts (it sounds like the Capt did this) to get a longer set of days off...which has the effect of wreaking havoc on your rest cycles when the alarm never seems to quit toning you out. You learn to rest when you can at these times, and cat-naps are a wonderful thing. ;)
    Ah, that makes more sense. Any more than 72 hours without sleep, and most people start to get psychotic. Literally.
  • CaptCapt Posts: 127 ✭✭
    Smoke=Fire:
    urbino:
    Structural departments are set up a little differently, Urbino. While the Capt may be "on" for 72 hours, they sleep during their normal nightime hours at the station. However, if he is in a large city, or even a busy station, than that sleep can be distrubed repeatedly when he has to don turnouts and respond to calls at all hours. I have many friends in structure departments, and en masse they like the schedule, usually 24 on 48-72 off. But they can swap shifts (it sounds like the Capt did this) to get a longer set of days off...which has the effect of wreaking havoc on your rest cycles when the alarm never seems to quit toning you out. You learn to rest when you can at these times, and cat-naps are a wonderful thing. ;)
    Yes, I will admit, I have slept alot today. Thursday was steady, but I got to sleep all night. Last night, we ran a few rescue (medical) calls, and 1 fire at a craft store. Since we were in the second alarm district, we were the first ones to be released. I was riding on the Rescue, and we sent a full crew on the ladder. My crew did the interior search, (small fire on the exterior) so it was pretty simple. Ladder crew just staged and was the first ladder to be picked up. I slept in until 9 this morning, and have only been out twice today. Smokefire, this wasn't a trade, the Capt from shift 1 called in sick, so I stayed. And by the way, kudos to you for your job. I will be the first to admit, it is something I don't think I would do....You guys are nuts!
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I'm off on Sunday, but the Girlfriend is out of town... so yeah... I'm drunk right now and will sleep all day
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    I'm off on Sunday, but the Girlfriend is out of town... so yeah... I'm drunk right now and will sleep all day
    Hey Lasabar, there are several combinations that have ALWAYS caused problems with me, and one of them is Girlfriend is out of town, and being drunk. Hope this one worked out for you. :}
  • vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    kaspera79:
    Lasabar:
    Hey Lasabar, there are several combinations that have ALWAYS caused problems with me, and one of them is Girlfriend is out of town, and being drunk. Hope this one worked out for you. :}
    It's never a problem as long as she doesn't find out.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Capt:
    Smokefire, this wasn't a trade, the Capt from shift 1 called in sick, so I stayed. And by the way, kudos to you for your job. I will be the first to admit, it is something I don't think I would do....You guys are nuts!
    yes he is.

... i mean they are. yeah they...

i dont have the B@lls to do that job.
  • vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    I always got scared for the firefighters at the mill when I worked there. I don't know how they did what they did. Going into some of those places while they ran normally was scary enough.

I have nothing but the utmost respect for everyone that risks their lives for the safety of the rest of us.
  • Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    Capt:
    I will be the first to admit, it is something I don't think I would do....You guys are nuts!
    LOL... I think the same thing about structure departments :P At least when a mountain is on fire, there usually is another part of it you can go to, unless you make gross errors in judgement and put yourself in a very bad spot. Once you are in a confined space (ie building) there is usualy only one way in and out it sems to me.
    I once helped a kitty down from a small tree. Okay, it was a shrubbery, but things got pretty scary there for a minute when I stood up too fast and got dizzy.