Home Non Cigar Related

What's your favorite scotch and how do you drink it?

I'm curious what you other scotch drinkers enjoy.

When I have a few extra bills to spend I like sipping on Glenfiddich 15 Year neat, otherwise I have Dewar's White Label on the rocks with a splash of water.

Comments

• lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum, brainfrz. I too like a nice 15 year Glannfiddich. I'm also really liking my Signatory Vintage 7 year. I think the strong smoky flavor pairs nicely with a cigar. I always drink my scotch straight.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • jlzimmermanjlzimmerman Posts: 282
    Single malt Dewer's usually, on the rocks, because I can't justify spending a lot of $$ on scotch. Homies be broke these days.
  • brainfrzbrainfrz Posts: 73

lilwing88:
    Welcome to the forum, brainfrz. I too like a nice 15 year Glannfiddich. I'm also really liking my Signatory Vintage 7 year. I think the strong smoky flavor pairs nicely with a cigar. I always drink my scotch straight.

Thanks for the welcome.  From Chicago aye?  I'm up in the Northern suburbs- Vernon Hills to be exact.  Close enough to where ever they ship from to get cigars in 2 days with ground shipping.

• Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Aberlour 16. Straight.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Laphroaig 10 or Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban for me. If I'm out at a bar or at a social gathering I tend to drink J&B with a couple of rocks in the glass.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    I'm a fan of Glenfiddich as well. Always with water, drinking it neat destroys my palate/nose. I find adding a bit of water to the scotch brings out the flavors and aromas. For all you "neat" guys, give it a try sometime. A few friends of mine were giving me a hard time and questioning my "man card" for adding water to my scotch - then they tried it that way and realized the only thing they were accomplishing by drinking their scotch straight was burning their throats, lol. A very close friend of mine who has a fine collection of 15, 18 and 21 years scotch tried a few like this with me a month ago and told me, "This may change the way I drink and enjoy scotch forever!"
    TatuajeVI:
    I'm a fan of Glenfiddich as well. Always with water, drinking it neat destroys my palate/nose. I find adding a bit of water to the scotch brings out the flavors and aromas. For all you "neat" guys, give it a try sometime. A few friends of mine were giving me a hard time and questioning my "man card" for adding water to my scotch - then they tried it that way and realized the only thing they were accomplishing by drinking their scotch straight was burning their throats, lol. A very close friend of mine who has a fine collection of 15, 18 and 21 years scotch tried a few like this with me a month ago and told me, "This may change the way I drink and enjoy scotch forever!"
    It definately helps the Dewar's taste (not that it's bad, but just makes it taste better). Something inside me though just screams "no" to putting water in a fine Scotch. Maybe next time I have a bottle I'll give it a try.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    brainfrz:
    TatuajeVI:
    It definately helps the Dewar's taste (not that it's bad, but just makes it taste better). Something inside me though just screams "no" to putting water in a fine Scotch. Maybe next time I have a bottle I'll give it a try.
    All you need to do is keep in mind that nearly every whiskey, bourbon, scotch, etc. is cut with water before bottling. It doesn't hurt the flavor like Coke/tonic does - but it does dilute the burning sensation. heh.
  • ljlljl Posts: 819
    Really liking Dewar's white label lately. I know some fellas swear by the JW, never could get into it. Always enjoy scotch on the rocks. I like to take my time and find the spot where the melted ice has cut the scotch to make it to my liking.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    I like Dewars white label always in a Godfather.

• ljlljl Posts: 819
    stephen_hannibal:
    I like Dewars white label always in a Godfather.

Oh boy, now I'm looking around for the amaretto...
  • txjayhawktxjayhawk Posts: 311
    currently I have baseline Bowmore Islay (awesome bottle of single malt for the price..bout 18 bones), Glenfid 15 as many of you have said, and a new one I am trying Glennparker (I cant remember the year but it was in the 20 dolalr range)
  • MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Posts: 356
    All I've had so far is Glenlivet 12 year, but I love it! I want to try Glenfiddich, Talisker, and Laphroaig Cask Strength.
    Has anyone tried Cutty Sark? I always see it at the liquor store and am tempted by the price, but price on booze usually dictates quality.
  • txjayhawktxjayhawk Posts: 311
    brainfrz:
    Has anyone tried Cutty Sark? I always see it at the liquor store and am tempted by the price, but price on booze usually dictates quality.
    Not true for all. If you got the cash, just try it. You may find a diamond in the ruff like my every day single malt (Bowmore Islay)
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Balvenie, neat.

I agree that just a drop or two of water can really open up a good Scotch, though.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    Russ55:
    Aberlour 16. Straight.
    +1

but I like it with just a tiny splash of water, it really opens it up a lot. This is a GREAT scotch!
  • minibeezyminibeezy Posts: 257
    Macallan 12 year on the rocks. Like ljl, I let it sit for a bit and let the ice melt.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    brainfrz:

Yuck. There are a few other blends at the same price point that I consider far superior. J&B, Dewar's and Famous Grouse are all great spirits for around the same price as the Cutty, and have much better flavor profiles. J&B is personally my favorite of the three because it offers a unique-for-a-cheap-blend level of oiliness on the mouth feel front.

Right now I'm drinking the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban. Loving the chocolate and mint notes this one has. Beautiful dark color too.

As for adding water, a 1/2 teaspoonful of cool (never COLD) spring water really does a LOT to open up the fragrances, and as a result, the flavors present in any whisky. Personally I am not a fan of serving or drinking whisky on the rocks, because the temperature discrepancy dulls the flavors. Ever wonder why it's so much easier to drink vodka if it has been in the freezer all day? Same principle.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    MAJORdorMo:
    All I've had so far is Glenlivet 12 year, but I love it! I want to try Glenfiddich, Talisker, and Laphroaig Cask Strength.
    You will find Laphroig VERY VERY different than the other three you list. I would seek it out and try it before you buy a bottle. Laphroig has much much more of a Peaty, Iodine flavor. I describe laphroig as its like licking a treated bandaid.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Oban 14 is my favorite scotch. I usually have a Glenlivit 12 around for more frequent drinking and the 14 is usually for holidays etc. I typically have them with 1 ice cube. but sometimes I will have it neat and sometimes on the rocks. Ive tried a whole bunch of different scotches and like most.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Have a few bottles of Glenfiddich (12, 15 and just finished the 21) - big fan of it. I'm not really into the really peaty scotches, so you won't find those around my house. Just tried Glenlivit 15 and 21 side by side - I bought my dad the 21 and he finally opened it - the 21 is pure velvet. I also have a McAllen 20 year that a local liquor store purchased a barrel and had it bottled up for them. Great stuff.

I'm a one or two rocks guy for the most part. If it's good stuff, I'll do a teaspoon of water into it. None of this "flick a drop of water off your finger, that opens it up" stuff. That does absolutely nothing, but just like cigars, it's all a matter of preference.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    I'm a big fan of MacAllan 18 - had it at a restaurant the first time at 17, and loved it ever since. Drink it neat, with a small splash of cool water.

Countdown! 994
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨