Home Ratings & Reviews

Perdomo ESV 1991 Connecticut - Newb Review

Had the opportunity to sit down for a smoke last night and thought I'd try my hand at giving a brief review on this. At the very least I think it will help me selfishly develop my pallette.

The cigar is one of the ones Alex Williams bombed me with and it looks great. I'm ballparking this as a 6"x54.

Unlit and out of the cello I pick up great earth and clean tobbacco aromas. The cap gives some typical spice. The pre-light draw is perfect. Toasting the foot gives off some great wood smells and the stick lights cleanly.

The predominant flavor I get in the first third is wood, with some earth tones mixed in. Cycling the smoke through the nose really brings out the earthiness. There's a good bit of spice that sits at the back of my throat, but it quickly mellows out and transitions to the front of my pallette. About 1/2" in the spice is almost gone. The ash holds for at least 1.5", is pure white and the burn is razor sharp. Copious smoke. This stick is great out of the gates.

In the second third the wood flavors take on a cedar tone and some notes of leather start making an appearance. The smoke is heavier on the pallette and I can feel the body transitioning to more of a high medium. Still heavy earth flavors, and on one draw I picked up some chocolate (only one puff).

The final third saw the flavors sit heavier on my pallette, with a bit of pepper coming through as well. A strong leather flavor comes through after purging.

All in all a fantastic smoke and one I will definitely enjoy again.

Comments

• Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Great cigar. J0z3r turned me onto these, and they might just be my favorite Connecticut. Definitely my favorite Perdomo of the ones I've tried.
  • Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Posts: 1,515
    hey bro. Good review and I'm glad you liked it!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Russ55:
    Great cigar. J0z3r turned me onto these, and they might just be my favorite Connecticut. Definitely my favorite Perdomo of the ones I've tried.
    That's my legacy, turning people on to the ESV Conn :). Great cigar and one I will have around in one size or another for as long as they make them.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Russ55:
    That's my legacy, turning people on to the ESV Conn :). Great cigar and one I will have around in one size or another for as long as they make them.
    Are the seconds just as good as the firsts??? As good as the champagne or Lot 23 blends
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    The Kid:
    j0z3r:
    Russ55:
    Are the seconds just as good as the firsts??? As good as the champagne or Lot 23 blends
    Never had a second but the firsts of ESV '91 are better than Lot 23 and Champagne in my opinion. I'd imagine the seconds are perfect, Perdomo seems to have little to no constructions issues. Ever.
    bigharpoon:
    The Kid:
    j0z3r:
    Russ55:
    Never had a second but the firsts of ESV '91 are better than Lot 23 and Champagne in my opinion. I'd imagine the seconds are perfect, Perdomo seems to have little to no constructions issues. Ever.
    Funny you mention the construction, I almost posted Perdomo as having little to no construction issues here on another thread.. Thanks
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    bigharpoon:
    The Kid:
    j0z3r:
    Russ55:

I've had no problem with the ESV 2nds. If you get a chance, splurge on the EdS Connie. Head and shoulders above any other Connie I've tried. - Oh, nice review!
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Steve2010:
    bigharpoon:
    The Kid:
    j0z3r:
    Russ55:

I've had no problem with the ESV 2nds. If you get a chance, splurge on the EdS Connie. Head and shoulders above any other Connie I've tried. - Oh, nice review!
    Ohhh, I've had my eye on those for a while. Splurge would be a good way to describe it, them suckers bring the long dollar. Maybe one of these days they'll show up in an email deal or something and I'll snag a few.

The ESV '91s are no longer being made as the crop is gone so any you find might be the last.
    Thanks guys, appreciate the reply's.. Yea for some reason I passed on the dd and didnt get the esv seconds,, may have somethin to do with having too many smokes as it is and being unable to control my spending,,,I know, preachin to choir..lol... Also dont like buying a mazo without ever first trying. I'll be keepin an eye open for those EdS' and let ya'll know if I come across any dealios..thanks again