Home Cigar 101

The Great Outdoors

So I'm going camping with my wife and our dog this weekend (and thank god, cause it's been too long and I need to get the hell out of the city for a while).  A friend of mine gave me a new Xikar 5-stick travel case a couple weeks ago, so it's time for its maiden voyage, baby!

Just wondering if you guys have used similar cases, and if a few drops of dist water on the "built-in humidifier" will actually keep the RH up for a few days.  It's a little disc inside the case, with what I presume is the standard green sponge material.

I was thinking I could also throw a 1/2oz tube of beads in lane 5 (probably won't get around to smoking 5 cigars in 2 days).  Thoughts?

Comments

• CaptCapt Posts: 127 ✭✭
    I would not recommend putting water in the little humidifiying disk. Your cigar sits directly under it, and you will develop a damp spot on the cigar. If you are only going camping for a few days, you will be fine without adding anything.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Short answer: Fill it with sticks (no empty slots), take it on your trip, and you'll be fine for a couple days. Only open it when you actually need to get a stick out. Long answer below.

Beads would work. As Capt said, don't put distilled water on the humidification device. If you want, you can get some PG Solution and put it on there, but just a few drops. Also, for just a couple days, you'll be fine.

I use Smoke's Bomb-Proof Stick-a-dor (another thread). I have some cut sponges that I keep for sticking in the ends of the tube as padding and humidification. I keep the sponges in a tupperdor with some 70% beads, so they're already at a good rH. I also have some cedar papers that I've kept from cigars I've smoked, and these are in my overflow tupperdor with some 65% beads.

To use a stick-a-dor, I just wrap the cigar in one or two cedar sheets (already at a good rH) and put it in the stick-a-dor. I put a couple of sponge pieces in each end of the stick-a-dor to fill up more space with stuff of the proper humidity level. Put the end caps on, and this setup is good to go for at least a full week in any conditions.

• dan7876dan7876 Posts: 47

Appreciate the advice guys...yeah. since it's only two days I guess I'll just fill it up with sticks and head out.

Have a great weekend!

• pilot711pilot711 Posts: 176
    I've used the travel humidor for years. I put the 50/50 solution on the sponge then turn it over and leave it open for about 30 minutes before putting in my sticks. Always works well and never had a problem. One charge will last between 4 - 8 weeks because it is so airtight.
  • CaptCapt Posts: 127 ✭✭
    pilot711:
    because it is so airtight.
    That is your answer right there!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i have that exact case. I love it. I put no water in it. IF i will be gone longer than 10 days or so i put a tube of beads in there. thats all.

its a great case isnt it?