Home General Discussion
Options

My Xikar experience

I have had a Xikar lighter for about 3 months. It stopped working so i sent it off to Xikar not expecting to see it for a month or so. It was returned today with a free can of fuel and a revamped lighter... now that is customer service and I thank them.
Just thought everybody should know.

Comments

• Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    I've heard awesome stories about Xicar's customer service. Thanks for the story.
  • Options
    txjayhawktxjayhawk Posts: 311
    just dont get pissed when it stops working again. I had a similar experience except it resulted in me throwing away the lighter. I had sent it back twice. the 2nd time I asked for a new lighter but they claimed they fixed it...Ill stick to my cheapo 9 dollar 3 torch lighter (and that bugatti i just got!!)
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    txjayhawk:
    just dont get pissed when it stops working again. I had a similar experience except it resulted in me throwing away the lighter. I had sent it back twice. the 2nd time I asked for a new lighter but they claimed they fixed it...Ill stick to my cheapo 9 dollar 3 torch lighter (and that bugatti i just got!!)
    that sucks... my xikar executive lighter is the most reliable lighter i have ever seen. almost 5 years on through all kinds of weather and abuse and as long as there is fuel in there it lights first click every time.
  • Options
    pnaylonpnaylon Posts: 214
    Man, so far I have had zero complaints about the customer service in the cigar world. Ccom, Xicar, and even my local B&Ms have been fantastic! Maybe if people at the DMV started smoking cigars...

• Options
    ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    I am no lighter pro, but I have trouble with my Xicar executive too. It doesn't accept fuel well at all (no fuel gauge so I'm never sure) and always take a few lights to get started. Once it does, it does well, but I really get sick of fooling around with it when I can flick a bic in 2 secs.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    ironhorse:
    I am no lighter pro, but I have trouble with my Xicar executive too. It doesn't accept fuel well at all (no fuel gauge so I'm never sure) and always take a few lights to get started. Once it does, it does well, but I really get sick of fooling around with it when I can flick a bic in 2 secs.
    I have the same problem; if you let it sit for a few minutes it'll work just fine after re-filling - guess there's something about re-filling that it needs to re-acclimate. Once it's refilled though, it always seems to light on the second click (no idea why it's always the second, but at least it's consistent)
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys need to be using a triple refined fuel and not cheap Wal-Mart junk. I used that cheap fuel and it sucks and clogs your lighter up. Lucky for me I have been using all cheap lighters. Also be sure to purge the lighter before refilling it. Simple things that really help.

When Xikar replaces an item they take the old one and donate it to the troops. You get a lifetime warranty so use it. If you keep having the same problems discuss it with them. They will resolve it. Their CS is awesome. Great company!
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    xmacro:
    ironhorse:
    I have the same problem; if you let it sit for a few minutes it'll work just fine after re-filling - guess there's something about re-filling that it needs to re-acclimate. Once it's refilled though, it always seems to light on the second click (no idea why it's always the second, but at least it's consistent)
    From what I understand, the time to "re-acclimate" as you said is the liquid fuel warming up to room temperature. My lighter gets extremely cold while re-fueling due to the temp of the fuel. It needs a few minutes to warm up before you start lighting your sticks up.
  • Options
    JZJZ Posts: 827
    I have a Xikar Xi3 cutter, the finish on the wood was starting to come off so I decided to show it to the Xikar rep at a cigar event. She walked over to the display case, handed me a brand new one and replaced it on the spot! They are an awesome company and really stand behind their products, which are top of the line!
  • Options
    txjayhawktxjayhawk Posts: 311
    xmacro:
    ironhorse:
    thats what my Xikar did untill i had to wait till the 3rd then 4th then 5th click...it was a pain in the a$$ and never put out a good constant flame...oh well.
  • Options
    ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    I am using good fuel (Lotus) that I get at my local B&M. And after this talk I played with it more. Like I said, I have been avoiding it because I'm not super high on using it anyway, been using matches. And what I found out was that I have to really press HARD on the fuel can for it to accept the fuel and hold it for close to a minute and really get close to the lighter so I can hear when it stops and know its full. Before I was probably holding it too light and for not long enough and it wasn't getting a full reservoir. It lit right up 2nd click........for now. I will use it more and see what happens, but Xikar lighter users may keep that in mind if they are having the same issue as me.