Home General Discussion
Options

Just sayin' hi

Hello all. I am new here, so I just thought I would throw a quick hello out to the community. I have been watching the forums for a couple of weeks, so I feel like I already know a few of you.

I am a new smoker, and I look forward to reading all the useful posts about all aspects of cigars. Hope to one day gain enough confidence from the community to be able to participate in a few trades and passes. I am currently putting away a few premium cigars for that eventuality.

So Hello all.Big Smile [:D]

Comments

• Options
    tankbonniestankbonnies Posts: 191
    Welcome laker...this is a great place for cigar info...A lot of the guys on here are very knowledgeable
  • Options
    Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    And hello right back. Welcome to the boards, and if you have a question, ask. We all started out somewhere, and are happy to share what we know.
  • Options
    CaptCapt Posts: 127 ✭✭
    Welcome to the forums!
  • Options
    DiasFlakDiasFlak Posts: 342 ✭✭
    welcome to the best place in the world it doesnt get any better than this your life is actually meaningless intill you meet us so welcome!
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046

Thanks tankbonnies... Yes I agree, there are a lot of knowledgeable folks here. My weeks spent lurking showed me that this was the place for any questions and a fantastic resource for cigar reviews for people like me who are newbies to cigar smoking.

Thanks for the welcome, I am starting to feel at home already!

• Options

Smoke=Fire:
    And hello right back. Welcome to the boards, and if you have a question, ask. We all started out somewhere, and are happy to share what we know.

LOL... I find a lot of people everywhere are only too willing to share what they know. It is just that in this case I really want to HEAR what they have to say!

Thanks Smoke=Fire, tell me what is your favourite smoke right now?Hmm [^o)]

• Options

Thanks Capt.

You are one of the folks (along with many others) who I feel like I got to know a bit while in lurk mode. It's an honor to have you welcome me here. Smile [:)]

• Options

DiasFlak:
    welcome to the best place in the world it doesnt get any better than this your life is actually meaningless intill you meet us so welcome!

LMAO ohhhhhhhhhhhh! that didn't go over with the wife too well lol.

That's what she gets for reading over my shoulder. Hey, ouch, cut it out, that hurt!

OK she's gone now. Thanks DiasFlak I've been looking for "meaning" in my life... and the occasional good cigar of course!Wink [;)]

• Options
    laker1963:
    If I had to choose one, I'd say the Oliva Serie G Cameroon Robusto. I received one on a trade, and give it the nod over the toros that are in my humidor. A great smoke, wonderful flavors, and reasonably priced as well. My only complaint is that C.Com does not sell that size (robusto), and I only shop here. One of these days though I am going to order a single of the Special G; that one keeps calling my name.
  • Options
    Smoke=Fire:
    laker1963:

If I had to choose one, I'd say the Oliva Serie G Cameroon Robusto. I received one on a trade, and give it the nod over the toros that are in my humidor. A great smoke, wonderful flavors, and reasonably priced as well. My only complaint is that C.Com does not sell that size (robusto), and I only shop here. One of these days though I am going to order a single of the Special G; that one keeps calling my name.

Wow. I just read the description for these. A South African wrapper? First one I can remember seeing in the hundreds of descriptions I've been reading lately. I think I will give these a try. That sampler deal sounds pretty tasty as well.

I noticed that C.com does stock these in the double robusto. So I will ask the newbie question... are these not pretty similar to the robustos'?

Sorry for the newbie question but your answer will help me learn so I won't be asking it again and bothering other folks. I've decided to pick on you lol.

• Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Glad you decided to get active, I hope you get more involved and stay involved.
  • Options
    MarkbbMarkbb Posts: 196
    Welcome to the site Laker.....glad to see ya here!
  • Options
    madurofan:
    Glad you decided to get active, I hope you get more involved and stay involved.
    Thanks Madurofan. Just remember you said that when I am asking my hundredth question of you, like that annoying 3 year old tugging at your sleeve... But why?
  • Options
    Well thank you Markbb, I'm glad I found you guys.
  • Options
    pilot711pilot711 Posts: 176
    Welcome aboard laker! This is a great place to learn and keep up with the world of cigars. Good discussions, reviews, and advice. Have fun!
  • Options
    Thanks Pilot711. You're right, so far everyone from the forum here, to the folks at C.COM have been fantastic! Makes a person feel like they really have found somewhere special. I'll definately be "sticking" around for a good long time here.
  • Options
    laker1963:
    I noticed that C.com does stock these in the double robusto. So I will ask the newbie question... are these not pretty similar to the robustos'?

Sorry for the newbie question but your answer will help me learn so I won't be asking it again and bothering other folks. I've decided to pick on you lol.

They are and are not. The Double Robusto is 5 X 54, whereas the Robusto is 4.5 X 50. The first number is length, the second is diameter. So a smaller diameter actually gives you a greater wrapper/filler ratio, and as approximately 40%-60% of a ciagar's flavor comes from the wrapper, a change in this ratio affects the flavor profile of a cigar...even though they are all the same style (ie Serie G's). Was that clear? :)
  • Options
    Smoke=Fire:
    laker1963:

They are and are not. The Double Robusto is 5 X 54, whereas the Robusto is 4.5 X 50. The first number is length, the second is diameter. So a smaller diameter actually gives you a greater wrapper/filler ratio, and as approximately 40%-60% of a ciagar's flavor comes from the wrapper, a change in this ratio affects the flavor profile of a cigar...even though they are all the same style (ie Serie G's). Was that clear? :)
    That is perfectly clear. Actually I did know what the numbers represented. In this case I did not know what the size of the Robusto was since it was not in the menu items at C.Com. so I could not compare the two. This does lead me to ask then,,, are all Robustos' or any other same name cigars from all manufacturers the same ring gauge / length? The other thing your post made very clear, which I had not considered was the effect of the wrapper to filler ratio on taste. I had in fact been trying to figure out (thru reading everything I can find about cigars) why manufacturers offered the same cigar in so many shapes and sizes. I figured it was just a market preferrence type of thing. The wrapper to filler ratio makes perfect sense! DUH! I love this! Now I have even more knowledge when comparing cigars. Thanks Smoke=fire. VERY KEWL
  • Options
    laker1963:
    Thanks Smoke=fire. VERY KEWL
    You're very welcome. And actually, I learned this from Urbi, so I am just passing on the seed of knolwedge; Cuban seed, that is ;)