Home General Discussion

my brother's sticks

i don't often participate here, but i thought i might share this with you guys.

in september, my brother died from cancer.  it started in his stomach, and later (after being declared cancer-free) his lungs.  a few months after he died, his wife gave me his humidor.  since the last several months of his life were pretty busy, he naturally neglected his humidor.  when i got it, i tried to bring its contents back to life as best as i could.  i've had a good 70/70 for a couple months now, so i decided to smoke one of my brother's sticks.  i have been feeling oddly guilty any time i look in there, and think about lighting one up.  tonight, however, is the night.

i am enjoying his Perdomo Lot 23, and thinking of good memories of him.  i miss him so much it hurts.

i have this box of neglected cigars to help me remember the good times.  i only wish he had better taste in cigars.  :)

here's a picture of us at my wedding years ago, i am on the left.

Comments

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Sorry for your loss; enjoy the smokes and toast his memory

Get yourself checked out by a doc as well - to a large degree, cancer is genetic

• gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    so sorry for your loss man ...I think he would want you to enjoy them
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    sorry for your loss, enjoy the cigars in his memory. the Lot23 is a great stick.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Sorry for your loss bro...
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    gmill880:
    Definitely. I realize it is a strange conversation to have, but talking with my brother-in-law we have an understanding that our guns and cigars would pass on to the other if one of us died. And we'd expect one of us to enjoy them as much as possible.
    I feel terrible for the loss of your brother at such a young age. Enjoy the cigar and some memories.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Well done, Adam. Well done.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Losing my bro is unthinkable. I feel for you man, smoke up and remember the good times.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    So sorry to hear about your loss. Keeping fond memories of him when you look at and smoke those cigars sounds like it'll help the healing from the loss.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my brother to cancer last July. Unfortunately, the person who cleaned out his apartment thought he was doing the family a favor by throwing out some cigars he had, thinking we would relate it to his cancer (I spoke to his doctor and his smoking had nothing to do with his cancer).

I wish now I could do what you're doing and enjoy one of his smokes. I'm sure your brother would be very happy to know that you are getting joy out of smoking his cigars and thinking about the good times you had together.

You and your bother will be in my prayers.
  • undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    F Cancer. It will be four years on the 31st that my mom lost her battle. Just live as he would want you to.
  • minibeezyminibeezy Posts: 257
    TatuajeVI:
    gmill880:
    Definitely. I realize it is a strange conversation to have, but talking with my brother-in-law we have an understanding that our guns and cigars would pass on to the other if one of us died. And we'd expect one of us to enjoy them as much as possible.
    I feel terrible for the loss of your brother at such a young age. Enjoy the cigar and some memories.

My brother and I do this every once in a while as well.

Sorry to hear about your loss. Enjoy every last one of them.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deepest sympathies, my friend. I'm sure your brother would have wanted you to do just what you're doing - - enjoying his sticks and thinking of him, remembering the good times.

One of my brothers has been diagnosed with cancer. Thankfully, it's one of the more treatable types and he's now in remission. He's an ex-cigarette-smoker (as are my self and my other two brothers) so he doesn't want to take up the habit of cigars.

I'm terribly sorry for your loss.

Marty

• zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about your loss man, but he is always in your heart and thoughts. Hes there with you when you smoke a cigar man. Thats the time to relax and remember him.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    undulac:
    F Cancer.
    I'll second that motion.
  • theadamtheadam Posts: 10
    thanks, everyone, for the kind words and support... now i'm thinking i should not ignore this forum quite so much, given the kind souls herein.

you guys are great, thank you again.
  • brotheradambrotheradam Posts: 896
    Man, I'm really sorry for your loss, you are welcome on these boards anytime.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    theadam:
    thanks, everyone, for the kind words and support... now i'm thinking i should not ignore this forum quite so much, given the kind souls herein.

you guys are great, thank you again.
    Kind souls - at times...

Twisted souls - that's a guarantee!

Stick around for a while, you'll enjoy it. And like most of the jokers on here, it helps distract you from work!
  • illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    I'm very sorry for your loss man, toast a cigar to his memory and hang around, there are a lot of great guys here
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    Sorry for your Loss man, My father passed away 5 years ago april 5th of throat and Lung cancer, he was a jazz Musician, Smoked a pack or so a day and second handed smoked a billion paxka in the Resturant he sat at the Piana Bar Playing for 24 years.

I got a Portrait of Him Tattooed on my Arm, its won major awards and has beeen in several Magazines. He is with me every day.
    Your Bros Spirit is with you and that Box was special to him. Smoke them bad Boys and Enjoy the memories......
  • ljlljl Posts: 819
    Sorry to hear of your loss. I agree with everybody else, your bro would be happy to know you're enjoying those sticks! Relax with one and remember all the good times you shared.
  • Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Posts: 1,515
    I am truly sorry for your loss. I will put you in my prayers and just remember you will see him again! Many people I know have fought/ are fighting cancer and j know how hard it is on their families. I hope you will stick around man!
  • The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    I am very sorry to hear about your brother man..... Enjoy his cigars because no BOTL would want his good cigars to go un smoked
  • cooch36cooch36 Posts: 714 ✭✭
    Sorry for your loss bro I lost my brother last April. He smoked one plus packs a day and Died of heart failure at 44. Family curse. I feel for you and understand your loss. My heart goes out to you and your family. He left those sticks for you even if it was not said, enjoy in his memory.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I almost don't know what to say. Sorry for your loss. I lost 2 grandfathers and my mother to cancer. Enjoy those sticks and remember your brother. I am sure he is herfing with you in spirit. I know if and when I go I sure want someone to enjoy my sticks.
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about your loss. Enjoy the smokes and the memories. Nice thing about cigars...they age well. Enjoy them over time.
  • kevster77kevster77 Posts: 68
    sorry for your loss bud. this cancer *** sucks big time. my dad's going thru this bullshit right now with the cemo. it's some rough ***. i say smoke away, he'd probably want you to.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I had my first cigar with my best friend from high school about 10 years ago, few months later he passed away from cancer. I am sorry for your loss, I know it's hard but I'm sure he would like you to enjoy his cigars and remember the good times you two had. Welcome to the forums, just wish it was under better circumstances.

"Long ashes my friends."

• laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    theadam, I am so sorry for your loss of your brother. Losing someone so close to you is always one of the toughest things we face in life.

If it were me, I would smoke every stick in that box eventually. But every time I lit one up, it would be because I wanted to share some time and maybe some talk with my lost brother.

I wouldn't feel guilty at all, as I am sure your brother wouldn't want you to. Sit back, enjoy one of your brothers sticks, (don't forget to thank him) and spend some personal time with him, remembering all your times together.

Do stick around the forums bro', we are as crazy AND supportive as any family you have ever belonged to :)
  • gdsim1gdsim1 Posts: 213
    Very sorry to hear of your loss man. I would definitely say smoke those sticks in your brother's honor - but don't stop there. You mentioned you were also given his humidor. May I suggest that as you go along in this hobby, you keep all your favorite & primo sticks exclusively in your brother's humidor? I guarantee your brother will be looking down on you with a three-mile smile every time you open it, and every stick you ever pull out of there will remind you of him & likely make you smile too.

Again, my sincerest condolences. Hope to see you around on the forums in the future.

• firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    My heart goes out to you and your family my friend……… stick around, we will be good for you!