Home General Discussion

Converted my first Newb!!!

lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
Had a few people over at the house last night. My wife's cousin brought over her new boyfriend. Got to talkin, and asked the fatal question: "So....... you smoke cigars?"

His eyes lit up like a Christmas tree. By the look in his eyes, I could tell he was practically begging me to turn him to a cigar obsessed nut-job, much like myself!

He said, " I smoked a few on my last trip to the Carribeans. Cubans."

Then I knew I had him. Hook, line and sinker. I felt like I was selling Amway!

I took him on a tour of my stash. Showed him my humidors. Showed him my stack of tuperdors. "Where do you buy all of your cigars?", he asked.

It was then that I showed him the Holy Grail.......... C.COM!!!! The great prices!! The DDs!! The forum!!! It was like the scene in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory when Willy showed them the edible candy land!!! He was asking all the newb questions: What kind of humidor should I get? What does full-bodied mean? What's ligero? How do you cut it? What's optimum humidity and temp?

Sadly, it was over then. I knew I only had one thing left to do.......... "So, wanna go out for a smoke?"

He looked at me like I just asked him if he wanted a million dollars.

This was the crucial part: I had to pick the right smoke to really hook this guy. Do I go mild? Something like a LHC Natural, maybe? Do I go medium? A 5 Vegas Classic? Do I blow him outta the water with a MOW? No. This guy needs THE right cigar. The one that got me hooked. The Casa Magna Colorado Robusto!!

I showed him how to cut just at the right spot on the cap. I showed him how to toast the foot properly. I told him how to make corrections to the burn. How to purge. How to use the "1-2-3 puff" technique. I felt like I was teachin my kid how to ride a bike!

So then we did what men do. We smoked. We drank. We talked. He really enjoyed his cigar. He said it was way better than the stuff he had in the Carribean. When we went back in the house, he musta been a little light headed from the nicotine rush, cuz he was a giddy and all smiles. The girls looked at us and said, "What were you smokin out there????" He left a little bit after that.......but not without a nice 5-pack sampler, C.com style!!!!

So, Tim...... when Chris from Chicago signs up in the next couple of days and orders a humidor and a big sampler, you know where to send the 20% commission check to!!!!
Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..

Comments

• FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    All Hail Lilwing - So sayeth the flock!
  • brotheradambrotheradam Posts: 896
    Martin, You are a credit to the Ccom nation and to BOTL everywhere !
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Another BOTL!!
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Nice...

• KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Good job! I hooked a newb last year, LOL

"Long ashes my friends."

• ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    I recently got my dad hooked on cigars. While I was on vacation I visited him in TX and brought a few smokes with me. He tried a couple with me but didnt really seem too in to it. Then I get a call one day asking me where I get my cigars and if I have any for a beginner that I wouldn't mind parting with. So I gave Jeff a call, gave him my dad's number and they worked up a nice smapler for him.

Now, I am sending him most of my mild smokes (I only have like 15...) and an extra tupperware container I have. He was also complaining about the cutter he has so I might toss in a decent one.

It really feels good turning someone on to this amazing hobby. Well done Martin, well done.
  • The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    I am working on one right now as well !
  • Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    brotheradam:
    Martin, You are a credit to the Ccom nation and to BOTL everywhere !
    This
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Great story lilwing - Recently I introduced my coworker to the evil decidant pursuit of a good cigar. Thankfully he wanted to get in on the GoF deal and Bugatti lighter which sweetened the deal - no shipping charge. My coworker has a buddy that is buying sticks by the each at a B&M. I have told his buddy about CCom and I think convinced him of the advantages! We'll see - maybe a twofer. If the Beard gives 20% for one think he would part with 40% for two. LOL
  • Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He should do an introduction post so we can all welcome him Ccom style.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    This is a great story, and I think it is one of the things I have been most impressed by since I became aware of the cigar community... You guys are all so willing to share information, tricks, and of course... STICKS! I cannot wait until a friend or family member becomes interested, and wants to be taught about smoking (once I really know what I myself am even talking about of course haha)

Hope he has as good of an experience as I have in my cigar virginity.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Kudos brother for extending the BOTL hand of friendship to the great uninitiated. You ought to get like a stamp on your man card or something for that.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Good job Martin.

Don't forget to fold your cape up nice and neat before putting it in the closet. Don't want any unsightly wrinkles on it, the next time you need to put it into service.
  • illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    great job man! im looking forward to hooking a newb myself, just smoked one last night with a friend and she was really interested in learning about cigars, so I was teaching her and it was really cool
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya dun good! My son got me hooked on man made cigars. He showed me an add for a humi and cigar combo. I started looking online for a better deal and found ccom and the rest is history!
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Great story!

I was talking with a friend of mine about my soon-to-be-born baby and he said to me, "i'll smoke a cigar in your honor!" I of course started asking about what he smoked and he said a bit sheepishly, "swisher sweets." lol.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Nice, Marty. My friend's dad has started to dabble in cigars, but from what my friend tells me, his dad's been buying cheap 7-11 cigars. So being the good Samaritan that I am, I've been giving my friend a few cigars every time we hang out so he can share it with his dad. His dad seems to like what I've given him so far, so I hope I've done my part to steer him towards the path of enlightenment.