Home General Discussion

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hobbes86 said:

Now is a good time to jump in the vherf

• Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hobbes86 said:

I am looking for some insight from you knowledgeable folks.

When I was done smoking this cigar I felt slightly dizzy, but I have certainly felt worse on other occasions when I over did it. However, after I got back in the house from smoking in my shop, I threw up. I don't believe it was something I ate because what I had for dinner was pretty typical fare for me. Did this happen because of the cigar? I believe it was my first Maduro, but it didn't seem too strong or anything while I smoked it. I had no chills and felt only slightly nauseous.

Maybe I need to take a page out of @VegasFrank's book and just steer clear of Perdomo? :D

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

@Rdp77 said:
    Now is a good time to jump in the vherf

I would have liked that, but I don't have much data because I am too cheap. In the spring I am running some cable to my shop so that I can set my computer up out there. I might pop on before then for just a few minutes to prove I am a living, breathing human being though. When I do I will send out a message in the vHerf thread.

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rona

Trapped in the People's Communist Republic of Massachusetts.

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022

@Hobbes86 said:
    Maybe I need to take a page out of @VegasFrank's book and just steer clear of Perdomo? :D

Well, yeah, lol.

So even if sugary soda or a piece of rock candy isn't your thing, you cans still trick your body into tolerating the nicotine in several ways. Diet soda and other sugar free sweet tasting drinks like Propel and Crystal Light have the same effect for me and for many other people. Coffee or tea with cream and artificial sweetener are other good choices. Even a glass of milk will do the trick because of the lactose.

However, throwing up or diarrhea are very severe cases and one simple quick fix probably won't completely solve nicotine sickness.

I don't know how fast you smoke, but slowing down will definitely help. That lot 23 robusto should probably take you an hour and a half to smoke... And it will smoke good even if you take quite a bit longer than that to consume it.

Also don't completely blame it on the maduro. Maduro isn't necessarily stronger than counterparts with lighter wrappers. This is especially true in the case of the lot 23. The maduro version of that cigar is a little sweeter and a tiny bit stronger then it's Sun grown counterpart, but not to the point where you're fine smoking one and throwing up smoking the other.

In your case, I would try multiple remedies at the same time. Smoke that Maduro at the end of the day after dinner. Have some sort of drink, either artificially sweetened or with some calories in it, by your side. Smoke slowly. Put it down to rest halfway through. Build up your tolerance. All of these things will help you enjoy the stronger ones without making you sick.

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aids

• Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don’t inhale

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hobbes86 said:

@Hobbes86 said:

I am looking for some insight from you knowledgeable folks.

When I was done smoking this cigar I felt slightly dizzy, but I have certainly felt worse on other occasions when I over did it. However, after I got back in the house from smoking in my shop, I threw up. I don't believe it was something I ate because what I had for dinner was pretty typical fare for me. Did this happen because of the cigar? I believe it was my first Maduro, but it didn't seem too strong or anything while I smoked it. I had no chills and felt only slightly nauseous.

I see they've changed the label since that last time I smoked one of those. I occasionally get that same response from New World Cameroon. One thing to consider, assuming that you didn't just pick up some kind of bug or something, is that you may have smoked a rather young cigar. The full impact of the nicotine wanes as the cigar ages. Mellows, so to speak.

If it's the nicotine, as noted above, sugar / carbs tend to be the antidote. Exercise the caution advised by others, smoke more slowly & make sure you're not inhaling, etc., on your next one. Don't smoke it on an empty stomach, if that's what happened. If the nausea persists, put them in long storage and try it again next year.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hear the "don't smoke on an empty stomach" a lot but I rarely have anything but black coffee for breakfast, then smoke most every morning. I think once, I got a little nicotine sickness, probably from speed smoking and spit up a little of the coffee.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 20,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Abstract
    Coffee-drinking cigarette smokers take in more nicotine when they ingest almost no caffeine than when they ingest an amount of caffeine ranging from 75 mg to 300 mg. They do not take in relatively less nicotine as the dose of caffeine increases from 75 mg to 300 mg. It seems, then, that something due to caffeine deficit is responsible for the effect. Heavier users of caffeine show this effect less strongly than do lighter users of caffeine. These results are discussed in terms of the discriminability of caffeine and nicotine deficits and the possible influence of differential tolerance to caffeine. The importance of evaluating caffeine consumption when studying nicotine use and the importance of considering the chronic level and use of these drugs when studying their effects on behavior is indicated.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1273212/

I never would have considered caffeine, @silvermouse, thank you. One or two cups of coffee in the morning is what I usually drink and there isn't much in my diet that has caffeine. Yesterday I had a single cup of coffee, perhaps that had something to do with it.

edited January 2022

@d_blades said:
    I hear the "don't smoke on an empty stomach" a lot but I rarely have anything but black coffee for breakfast, then smoke most every morning. I think once, I got a little nicotine sickness, probably from speed smoking and spit up a little of the coffee.

I don't have much for breakfast either most days, just a cup or two of coffee and a crunchy biscuit to dip into it.

@Amos_Umwhat said:

One thing to consider, assuming that you didn't just pick up some kind of bug or something, is that you may have smoked a rather young cigar. The full impact of the nicotine wanes as the cigar ages. Mellows, so to speak.

I had never heard this before now, thanks for the information, Amos.

@VegasFrank said:
    In your case, I would try multiple remedies at the same time. Smoke that Maduro at the end of the day after dinner. Have some sort of drink, either artificially sweetened or with some calories in it, by your side. Smoke slowly. Put it down to rest halfway through. Build up your tolerance. All of these things will help you enjoy the stronger ones without making you sick.

Thanks for the advice, Frank. I will keep a beverage with sugar in it nearby next time. Come to think of it, I usually have a snack of some sort while smoking at night, but I didn't last night, so that could be a part of the issue. As far is smoke time goes, it took me about two hours to smoke that Lot 23, so no worries on rushing through it.

@Yakster said:
    @Hobbes86 it does sound like you got Nic sick, it does happen from time to time. Having a sugary soda is said to help with the effects as well as eating a hearty meal before tackling a stronger cigar. I don't know if this is typical with a Lot 23, but it could have been other factors too.

Thanks for the advice, thinking on it now, more time passed between dinner and smoke than I realized last night. I usually have a snack when I smoke at night, but didn't last night, so I think that is at least part of the issue.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 27,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yesterday I had two cups of coffee and two shots of espresso. Thanks for linking that article in Edward.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bourbon

• TheKrakenTheKraken Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you're not a coke guy, I've found that a piece or two of candy or some crackers can help right after as well. I'm also usually drinking a good bit of water as I'm smoking and after

• TruDogTruDog Posts: 8,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:
    From the 5K pass. Thank you @Wylaff best Viaje I've had in a long time!

Hi Ya FranKy......What da **** dis Thread?......Pour'N.