Home General Discussion
Options

Tobacconist?

How does one become a tobacconist?  Is there classes to take, books to read, or can any one just call them selves one?  And if you are one or become one and you work at a cigar shop can you ask for a rais or ask for more when you start?  Thanks for the feed back.

Comments

• Options
    poof! your a tobacconist. :)

Traditionally, a tobacconist is defined as someone whose trade is growing, blending, or selling tobacco and tobacco related products. I consider myself knowledgeable about cigars, but I wouldn't go under the moniker of tobacconist unless I made my living with tobacco.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply.  Sorry for the late post I had a few weeks worth of computer problems.  I might have to start calling myself one if I get in the bussiness.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    http://tobacconistuniversity.org/index.asp

the site is interesting.
    there are problems though. for example, when trying to describe plume (bloom) he botches it... twice.

the site says :Plume is the name given to the white fuzzy substance that clings to the Wrapper of an oily, well conditioned cigar. Plume, or Bloom as it is also called, is a positive condition representing optimal oiliness and conditioning. Plume can be wiped off by hand, or gently brushed off using a very delicate brush.

and

this is a naturally occuring by-product of cigar aging. As the cigar exudes oils a white powder-like substance (Plume) will develop on the outside of the Wrapper. The Plume can be gently wiped off with no negative consequences.

this is not true. What he seems to be describing is MOLD.

...this is bad.
    plume is some of the oils within the cigar rising to the surface and turning into crystals. it is smooth and will not brush off. it is a bit on the sparkly side.
    ...and why would you want to wipe off the oils even if you could? I could make an argument that there WOULD be negative consequences if you wiped off some of the flavorful oils. iduno.

that and it cost $200 to get a certificate through them.