Home General Discussion
Options

Mods

dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
In a different thread, Kuzi brought up the idea of having a couple mods on this forum. Rather than give the thread any more mileage, I thought I'd re-post his idea here.

kuzi16:
does anyone remember very early on when i made a sugestion that we should add Mods to this site?

it wasnt so much to edit what people are saying to eachother. it was more for spamers. I know that Alex and the guys at cigar.com have a billion things to do every day running the company and taking orders. If you get one or two of the forum junkies the power to delete spam threads we can catch more of them more often so they dont interfere with the otherwise spectacular cigar discussion we got goin on in here.

if i was a mod, this and the other time we got spammed would have been the only times i woulda shown any "power"...
...then again, me in charge of almost anything outside of my job may not be good.... ha!
I actually think it's a great idea to give a few members a limited ability to act as mods on this forum. I participate in another forum (rockclimbing.com) that does the same thing. The mods have limited powers, and the issues like what we have seen recently can be avoided. What are everybody else's thoughts? What would the scope of these powers be?

My personal opinion is that a mod in the context of this forum should be able to flag a post for review by cigar.com. This wouldn't alter or remove the thread, but would bring it to the attention of someone at cigar.com who would be able to take action. I wouldn't object to other limited permissions, but this at the very least would be a chance to kill any spam. Another option would be to have the "flagging" process remove the thread until it receives its review.

Comments

• Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Sounds to me like a good, limited approach. I'm for it.
  • Options
    CaptCapt Posts: 127 ✭✭
    Yes, I do believe every forum needs a mod of some sorts. I am currently a moderator on three forums, and they all benefit from moderation.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Capt:
    Yes, I do believe every forum needs a mod of some sorts. I am currently a moderator on three forums, and they all benefit from moderation.
    I have a question after reading a post there are options to Reply , Quote, Contact, Mark Favorite .. and REPORT ABUSE.. Is this a form of Moderator request ?
  • Options
    Good point.
  • Options
    DiasFlakDiasFlak Posts: 342 ✭✭
    yeah some of these older post should be removed
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Hmmm, feels a bit Orwellian, no? There have been two spammers since I joined and everybody jumped all over them right away, so it really seems like a case of no harm done. And as for the regular posters, everybody seems to behave themselves just fine. As for the older posts, I like reading through those - trying to learn all I can. Just my two cents.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Yes and no, Luko. I don't feel that a limited power mod or two would be bad, it is only when you give many immature people the keys to the city that the abuse of power really starts. As you said, we conduct ourselves in a reasonable way that the only real need for mods would be to a) delete spam posts such as the one in question and the one from a few weeks ago, and b) to edit out unintentionally* posted links to competitor sites/ sites for Cuban cigars, at least that is all I see a real need to keep moderated.

*By unintentionally, I mean with no ill intentions.
  • Options
    Yup.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    Yes and no, Luko. I don't feel that a limited power mod or two would be bad, it is only when you give many immature people the keys to the city that the abuse of power really starts. As you said, we conduct ourselves in a reasonable way that the only real need for mods would be to a) delete spam posts such as the one in question and the one from a few weeks ago, and b) to edit out unintentionally* posted links to competitor sites/ sites for Cuban cigars, at least that is all I see a real need to keep moderated.

*By unintentionally, I mean with no ill intentions.
    Okay , I have been hanging around here for a while and have seen spam from competitors sites, which all the regulars spoke out against. There were probably more than a few people who saw the post, visited it and maybe even made a purchase. These people probably visit different sites on a regular basis which is fine.. Freedom to do anything they wish as long as is does not interfere with someone elses ability to do as they wish. We all get phone calls from people trying to sell us things from new carpeting to auto insurance. You can't stop it. It is in poor taste to invade a " personal space " like your home or this site but it will happen. We can talk about anything here from cigars to the government freely. We can share off color jokes, we call each other names as brothers sometimes do, no malice intended, we know it is just typed words, and our freedom to express our thoughts on any subject.. I have never read an insult, racial slur, true vulgarity. or threats on this site. I have never thought that anyone crossed any personal boundries, or have broken any laws. so I see no need for a moderator, ignore the spam, keep the freedom to say what we feel without someone else deciding for us if it is acceptable.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I agree kas, that's why I made some specific stipulations as to what I feel are the only needs for any sort of moderation. And I can see keeping the status quo as long as there is not a large amount of spamming going on, don't have one problem with that. I too am against a moderator telling us what we can and can't say or talk about, that takes away the fun of the forum and quite frankly, I'd be inclined to leave if that kind of iron fist came down. I was simply throwing in my two cents on the matter.
  • Options
    I agree. And having now agreed with every possible position on this issue, I retire to other threads. :)
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I don't know... just like my Cigars, Alcohol and Small Asians I don't like Moderation...

But then I'm Old-Fashioned
  • Options
    ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    urbino:
    I agree. And having now agreed with every possible position on this issue, I retire to other threads. :)
    Maybe you should run for office. Wait, you having real power, now that would be scary.
    Lasabar:
    I don't know... just like my Cigars, Alcohol and Small Asians I don't like Moderation...

But then I'm Old-Fashioned
    That definitely made me grin. Ample quantities of those 3 things is definitely ok with me.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    my post about mods was more or less just showing mild frustrations with spam.
    we can talk about mods as much as we want here.
    we can express over and over how much we want them.
    the people that run the forum are the ones that make the call. we dont. if i remember correctly, last time this was discussed seriously alex came in and said something along the lines of "you are all adults here, play niice"
    and we did. I cant speak for cigar.com but i think that they want to let this place just exist. Alex and the other cigar.com people dont check in on us very often. i mean, they do have a buisness to run and are very busy people.

iduno im ok with being unmoderated with one exception: spam.

we'll just have to wait for Alex to check in to see what he has to say.
  • Options
    urbino:
    I second that comment..
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Its funny I was thinking tihs exact same thing earlier today. Hey Svenson, I put my name in the hat to mod these here forums.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    leave me out. i want mods ... i just dont wanna be one.

if there is a position called "cigar spiritual advisor" im all over that.

but really, can you imagine me with power? i think its a bad idea.