Home Trades, Passes and Bombs
Options

Lost on the Moon

2»

Comments

• Options
    illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    I dunno if this list has been done already, I've been skimmin through other people's posts and I see a bit of a pattern, so here goes nothin! 2 100 lb tanks of oxygen (breathing is important) 5 gallons water (water is important) food concentration (food is important) first aid kit (health is important) stellar map (you can navigate via the stars) 50 ft. nylon rope (use it to haul gear and/or use it as climbing aid) FM walkie talkie (communication) parachute silk (use as sleeping bag in place of bulky heating unit, silk is lightweight) 2 .45 caliber pistols (in case of aliens :P) self-inflating life raft (can use as shelter) signal flares (signaling for alien assistance) dehydrated milk (not really necessary if you have food concentration) magnetic compass (no magnetism on moon) heating unit (if all else fails you can stay warm if you're not already) box of matches (no oxygen) I used to be really into survival when I was younger and I think this is a decent list... only time will tell though! I think we should all buy the stuff on our lists and take a shuttle up to the moon and see how it goes lol
  • Options
    PS sorry about the list being all scrunched together, thought I spaced it better!
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    illinoisgolf99:
    PS sorry about the list being all scrunched together, thought I spaced it better!
    Go here to learn how to use formatting:
    HTML formatting
  • Options
    thanks for the link bro
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I used one of my aircrew buddies to help me out on this so i have to split the cigars if im right. This actually got pretty heated, plus we had been drinking....so here goes.
    Oxygen
    Water
    Map
    Food concentrate
    FM Radio
    50 ft rope
    First aid kit
    Parachute silk
    Raft
    Flares
    Pistols
    Case of milk
    Heating unit
    Compass
    Matches

This was assuming a lot of stuff like everyone is ok, youre wearing spacesuits etc... We really started splitting hairs and coming up with some really Macguyver type stuff but this is what came out of it. If anyhting i think the raft is in the wrong place...we couldnt come up with a good spot for it so we put it in the middle.
  • Options
    So how'd we do? Kinda curious to see Nasa's explanations.
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Alright, guys, I promised to post the answers Friday night, but I was caught up with a few things and couldn't get to a computer until today. So sorry I was not able to get the answers up sooner. Without further ado, here are the answers:

1 Two 100lb oxygen tanks: Most pressing survival need
    2 5 gals. Water: Replacement for tremendous liquid loss on light side of moon
    3 Stellar Map: Primary means of navigation
    4 Food Concentrate: Efficient means of energy
    5 Solar-powered FM 2-way radio: For communication with mother ship, but FM requires line-of-sight transmission, short range
    6 50ft Nylon rope: Useful in scaling cliffs, tying injured together, etc.
    7 First-aid kit with injection needles: Needles fit special aperture in space suits
    8 Parachute silk: Sun protection
    9 Self-inflating life raft: Co2 bottle in raft may be used for propulsion
    10 Signal Flares: Distress signal when mother ship is located
    11 2 45Cal Pistols: Possible means of propulsion
    12 One case of dehydrated milk: Bulkier duplication of food concentrate
    13 Solar Powered heating unit: Not needed unless on dark side of the moon
    14 Magnetic Compass: Magnetic field on moon not polarized: useless
    15 Box of Matches: No oxygen on the moon: worthless

Alright, so If i can have all the participants calculate their score and update their post, I can figure out who took first place.
  • Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    44...wow, way off.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Well it looks like Vinny nailed each one, so unless someone else got them all right...
  • Options
    Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Posts: 1,515
    I got two wrong. Switched em up... Now vinnie, be honest, did you use google??
  • Options
    Actually i didnt, the only one i didnt feel good about was the raft. Me and a friend stayed on the phone for about an hour hashing it out. Our reasonings are similar with the exception of the raft and the first aid kit. Cool. If it looks too suspicious(no way of proving or disproving really) i can exempt myself and the prize can go to the next person in line, thought this was fun.
  • Options
    Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Posts: 1,515
    Hell no you ain't gonna exempt yourself!! I was just messin with ya ;) good job!
  • Options
    Jetmech_63:
    Actually i didnt, the only one i didnt feel good about was the raft. Me and a friend stayed on the phone for about an hour hashing it out. Our reasonings are similar with the exception of the raft and the first aid kit. Cool. If it looks too suspicious(no way of proving or disproving really) i can exempt myself and the prize can go to the next person in line, thought this was fun.
    An hour? Wow, I am impressed at how seriously you guys took it.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    I did mine thru PM. I just calculated my score and apparently I never made it to the bottom step of my downed spacecraft, LMAO.

I was sure this was a trick thing so I came up with some pretty weird logic.
  • Options
    sightunseen:
    Jetmech_63:

We were drinkin...and most of the time was going off on tangents with macguyver type stuff....like taking the pistols apart and making little rockets out of the barrels using the needles in the first aid kit as the fuel injectors, the oxygen as the oxidizer and the dehydrated milk as the propellant..... :)
  • Options
    Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    Jetmech_63:
    sightunseen:
    Jetmech_63:

We were drinkin...and most of the time was going off on tangents with macguyver type stuff....like taking the pistols apart and making little rockets out of the barrels using the needles in the first aid kit as the fuel injectors, the oxygen as the oxidizer and the dehydrated milk as the propellant..... :)
    Using dehydrated milk as a propellant???? WTF? That is some Macguyver type *** right there. The only time I've seen dehydrated milk used as any kind of propellant it was coming out of a baby's ass!
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I thought of the propulsion angle with the pistols, but it seemed like one of those things that doesn't stand up to scrutiny. How far are you going to propel yourself with one clip of rounds? Is it worth the risk of propelling yourself into the cold vacuum of space? Of accidentally (or intentionally) shooting yourself if you get space dementia?

I dunno, it just doesn't seem that practicable.
  • Options
    mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    Seeing as how the recoil from an automatic .45 is much more of an upward thrust than rear-ward, coupled with how little power it actually sends in that direction, I doubt firing a gun would move you much even in the lacking gravity of moon land.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    I still say crash landing on the moon = UR DEAD.
  • Options
    So what'd we win :)
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    sightunseen:
    Jetmech_63:

I still say all you need is duct tape, fix your *** and then your ass back to the mother ship

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Jetmech_63:
    Does everyone agree that our winner is Jetmech (too lazy to add up everyone's score)? If so, then I owe you a 5-pack.
  • Options
    sightunseen:
    Jetmech_63:
    Does everyone agree that our winner is Jetmech (too lazy to add up everyone's score)? If so, then I owe you a 5-pack.
    No one has said anything, so I am going to name Jetmech as our surival winnar! PM me your addy, please.
  • Options
    I'm confused as to how exactly I do my score?
  • Options
    mrpillow:
    I'm confused as to how exactly I do my score?
    For each item, take the absolute difference between your ranking and NASA's ranking (e.g. if you had ranked oxygen #4 while NASA had it at #1, 3 would be the score for that item). Then, you sum up all the differences for your final score. The lower the score, the better you did.
  • Options
    Oh ok, let me add mine up.M

I added up and came out with 40, then realize I used 5 gallons of water twice and left off the matches XP

Looks like jetmech is the winner!