Home Cigar 101
Options

Beads keep drying out

I seasoned my humidor by wiping it down, keeping a damp washcloth in for 24hr, wiping it down again, kept the cloth in for another 24hrs. Using a calibrated digital hygrometer the RH was steady at 78% and the washcloth wasn't drying out. So I put in some pre-charged beads and after a few days she stabilized around 70%. I put in about 8 sticks and everything seemed fine for about a week until the RH started to slowly go down. I checked the beads and they were almost dry. So I charged them and about 2-3 days later same thing. I'm looking for suggestions. I'm thinking I didn't season the humidor long enough.

Comments

• Options
    zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    Did you check out that site I send you that was sent to me?
  • Options
    EnphraredEnphrared Posts: 62
    Yes I did! I'm wondering if I need to re-season this thing. If I do I'd use that link you sent me.

I have a Bally V humidor, has a pretty good seal. I measured its volume and I'm using 2oz of beads. It's the small aluminum case from heartfelt.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Enphrared:
    Yes I did! I'm wondering if I need to re-season this thing. If I do I'd use that link you sent me. I have a Bally V humidor, has a pretty good seal. I measured its volume and I'm using 2oz of beads. It's the small aluminum case from heartfelt.
    How often are you checking the humidity? Every time you open the humi up, you are releasing the humidified air in it. Doing this several times a day will cause a great loss of your humidity and cause the beads to be constantly releasing humidity to make up for this loss, and that can cause your beads to dry out as well.

Just a thought. Other then that, I would say you need to fully charge those beads.
  • Options
    I check it every other day or so. It sits by my computer desk so I glance over to see where it's at from time to time. I don't open it that often as I don't need to unless I want a smoke.

Before Zeebra sent me a good seasoning link I went ahead and wiped it down lightly and then stuck a mildly wet folded wash cloth in the bottom, and put a shot glass of water on the tray next to the hygrometer. So that's where I'm at right now. It's sitting at 76% at the moment. I did the wipe down about 5 hours ago.

Here's what I have

• Options
    How long did you let it sit like that? That wet cloth is NOT touching the wood right? Wiping it is one thing (I do) but you don't want to let the wet cloth sit against the sides or bottom. If you leave the Humi the wya you have it with the water and such for several days you should be good to go.

You should also get a container big enough to hold your beads AND a bowl of Distilled water. Let the beads stand in this container for the same several days you are seasoning your humi, and that will ensure your beads are fully charged, as well.

Keep us posted and you'll get it there. You may also want to look at using more beads in your set-up.
  • Options
    I let it sit for a few days til the RH was at 78%, which I think I didn't wait long enough.

The cloth is in a small, shallow open tupperware container.

As for the beads, what's the diff between letting them soak up moisture via your description and just loading them up with an eyedropper? I may pick up a 2 or 4oz tube while I'm at it and use it up on the tray.
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Enphrared:
    I let it sit for a few days til the RH was at 78%, which I think I didn't wait long enough. The cloth is in a small, shallow open tupperware container. As for the beads, what's the diff between letting them soak up moisture via your description and just loading them up with an eyedropper? I may pick up a 2 or 4oz tube while I'm at it and use it up on the tray.
    Loading them up with an eyedropped will crack the beads and cause them to break apart.

How are you storing your cigars when not in your humi? Are the properly humidified? If not, then they are most likely soaking up the humidity themselves. Also, check the seal where glass meets wood.
  • Options
    Enphrared:
    I let it sit for a few days til the RH was at 78%, which I think I didn't wait long enough. The cloth is in a small, shallow open tupperware container. As for the beads, what's the diff between letting them soak up moisture via your description and just loading them up with an eyedropper? I may pick up a 2 or 4oz tube while I'm at it and use it up on the tray.
    The difference between the two methods is the amount of moisture the beads can absorb. When sprayed the beads which get wet absorb the water but many of them do not come into contact with the water at all.
    When placed in a container with the water also in the container in its own bowl, it allows the beads (all of them) to absorb the water to the maximum amount they are capable of absorbing. The beads will only absorb as much as they are capable of and will release the moisture back over a long period of time.

I am thinking that the beads you sprayed may not have absorbed enough water for them to act properly in your humi. You can keep about 10% of your beads out of the container and NOT get these wet. These will act as a buffer for absorbing any excess humidity in your humi, if / when that occurrance should happen.
  • Options
    Surprised the manufacturer suggested using a syringe method if they're prone to fall apart. Thanks for your concern of my cigars!! LOL, they're safely put away in my smaller humidor. The glass seems to have a good seal with the wood, it doesn't have any slack, it's firmly planted. When the beads need to be recharged do you take them out of your humidor for a few days to charge up via the method you described? Laker, the container my beads came in doesn't come apart. I plan on picking up a 2 or 4oz tube within the week. When I wet the beads they all pretty much become clear. So I assume that they have all absorbed the water. These are beads I got from heartfelt.
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I charge mine in the bathroom while I'm in the shower. They get full quick and no cracking.
  • Options
    Enphrared:
    Surprised the manufacturer suggested using a syringe method if they're prone to fall apart. Thanks for your concern of my cigars!! LOL, they're safely put away in my smaller humidor. The glass seems to have a good seal with the wood, it doesn't have any slack, it's firmly planted. When the beads need to be recharged do you take them out of your humidor for a few days to charge up via the method you described? Laker, the container my beads came in doesn't come apart. I plan on picking up a 2 or 4oz tube within the week. When I wet the beads they all pretty much become clear. So I assume that they have all absorbed the water. These are beads I got from heartfelt.
    These are the beads I use, and they come with free mesh bags.

http://www.bargainhumidors.com/bh/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=ACC-CONSERVAGEL

These are cheaper then Heartfelt beads and several of the BOTL use these now and they work GREAT. I run 2 pounds of them in my coolerdor, but you could get a pound and use some in your humi now and keep the rest for the future when you will almost certainly need more.

I do remove my beads for recharging when needed. But this winter I have just kept a bottle of Distilled Water right inside of the coolerdor and I just remove the lid for a few days at a time and the beads maintain the RH for at least a couple of weeks.
  • Options
    cabinetmaker:
    I charge mine in the bathroom while I'm in the shower. They get full quick and no cracking.
    That would work great I bet. I wonder if it would work for the initial charge tho?
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    My first suggestion would be to get more beads. I haven't used them in a while, but my experience was that it takes about twice as many as the manufacturer's formula says.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    How many cigars are in your humidor, or put another way, how full is your humidor? The more empty space in the humidor the more the beads have to humidify, and by reverse the more cigars you have the easier it will be to maintain humidity. Cigars act as mini humidifiers, meaning they absorb and release humidity. What I'm getting at here is that the beads may not be to blame, but that you simply don't have enough cigars in there...cigar.com has the perfect fix to that problem: MORE CIGARS!!!!!
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    I dont think that 2oz of beads is enough for that humi!
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    How many cigars are in your humidor, or put another way, how full is your humidor? The more empty space in the humidor the more the beads have to humidify, and by reverse the more cigars you have the easier it will be to maintain humidity. Cigars act as mini humidifiers, meaning they absorb and release humidity. What I'm getting at here is that the beads may not be to blame, but that you simply don't have enough cigars in there...cigar.com has the perfect fix to that problem: MORE CIGARS!!!!!
    You are probably correct there. I'm sure you are in fact. I only have 8 cigars in there, and supposedly this thing is a 125ct box. I'm gonna do this "re-season" dealio for the next few days to kill that suspicion and then put em back in. Then, I'm gonna look at grabbing a couple of boxes of sticks to throw in there. Prolly do a 25ct for a week, watch it and then toss another one in there. ;)
  • Options
    GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    I would recommend getting more beads, it sounds like they are underpowered for the size of your setup.
  • Options
    Goldy:
    I would recommend getting more beads, it sounds like they are underpowered for the size of your setup.
    Well I measured the inside of it and it was 870cu and heartfelt's site said that 2oz is good up to 1080. But maybe I should through a 2oz tube on the tray. hmmm
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Enphrared:
    Goldy:
    Well I measured the inside of it and it was 870cu and heartfelt's site said that 2oz is good up to 1080. But maybe I should through a 2oz tube on the tray. hmmm
    I think urby mentioned this, but a good practice would be to take whatever Heartfelt says and double it. And check out the link laker posted, half the price of Heartfelt for the same beads, which of course means more beads for the same money plus a nifty mesh bag.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    j0z3r:
    Enphrared:
    Goldy:
    I think urby mentioned this, but a good practice would be to take whatever Heartfelt says and double it. And check out the link laker posted, half the price of Heartfelt for the same beads, which of course means more beads for the same money plus a nifty mesh bag.
    I keep approx 5 oz in ea of my about 40 ct humi's. They are keeping it steady freddy.
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Enphrared:
    j0z3r:
    You are probably correct there. I'm sure you are in fact. I only have 8 cigars in there, and supposedly this thing is a 125ct box. I'm gonna do this "re-season" dealio for the next few days to kill that suspicion and then put em back in. Then, I'm gonna look at grabbing a couple of boxes of sticks to throw in there. Prolly do a 25ct for a week, watch it and then toss another one in there. ;)
    Instead of jumping headfirst into a few boxes, hit up the daily deals here for a week or two. You'll get enough to age them if you want to and if you don't like them, you'll only have a few laying around the humi. Try getting into a few of the games and passes we have going on too. Variety is a good thing, especially when your just starting out.