Home Cigar 101
Options

My 1st Humidor Is here!

zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
Ok fellas, my very first humidor has finally made it. This is what I have so far...

100 count 5 Vegas Humidor
65% Large Heartfelt Beads (tube)
Caliber III Digital Humidity Temperature Gauge
Humidipak One-Step Calibration Kit

I will go buy a sponge and distilled water after work and then follow the steps of seasoning it. Do I need anything else? Also have a question, since I got a 100 ct humidor, and I have like 20 sticks, is that going to make it hard for me to hold the humidity at what I want? Should I buy more sticks?

Comments

• Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Congrats, man, that sounds like a nice set-up.

You will want to be careful if you are using the "wipe-down" technique to season your humidor, as you can easily warp the wood. An alternative is to set a shallow dish of distilled water in the humidor and let it sit for a few days.

As for keeping your humidity up, you will have an easier time if the humidor is at least 75% full, so that's a perfect excuse to get more sticks.
  • Options
    Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    zeebra:
    Ok fellas, my very first humidor has finally made it. This is what I have so far...

100 count 5 Vegas Humidor
    65% Large Heartfelt Beads (tube)
    Caliber III Digital Humidity Temperature Gauge
    Humidipak One-Step Calibration Kit

I will go buy a sponge and distilled water after work and then follow the steps of seasoning it. Do I need anything else? Also have a question, since I got a 100 ct humidor, and I have like 20 sticks, is that going to make it hard for me to hold the humidity at what I want? Should I buy more sticks?
    Always buy more sticks. ;)

And a fuller humidor will hold more humidity, simply because more cigars will hold more moisture.

The best advice I can give is be patient, and do not try to rush the seasoning process, bud. :D
  • Options
    Oh I'm not doing the wipe down method. I hear its frowned upon...lol

But I am doing it the way you mentioned.

Well see, I've been able to sneek by the wife with all these new purchases and even a DD from here, she is fine with that, but I dont know how many cigars I can buy, since I just bought a new house and put down like $60K, with all new furniture and tons of bills now.....

Thats why I'm asking about the cigar count issue
  • Options
    And before someone puts in up, I'm not going to go buy swisher sweets as alt. cigars....hahah
  • Options
    EnphraredEnphrared Posts: 62
    I was thinking of getting a house blend sampler and maybe some of those flor de olvia. Some easy cheapy's to get the box populated. ;)
  • Options
    Enphrared:
    I was thinking of getting a house blend sampler and maybe some of those flor de olvia. Some easy cheapy's to get the box populated. ;)
    I thought about this last night and thats what I dont want. I dont want cigars just to fill up the humidor, I want to enjoy em when I light it up. If I buy 20 of a cigar and I dont like it, it will be a waste of money.
  • Options
    EnphraredEnphrared Posts: 62
    That's why you buy samplers. Unless you wanna dump a ton of money on filling it with expensive cigars. Hell you got a 100ct humidor. Might as well put it to use. There's a lot of cheap cigars that are good IMO. You just gotta find what you like, samplers are a good place experiment w/o burning a hole in your pocket.
  • Options
    So, I need to get about 50 sticks to get at about 75% full for the humidor is the bottom line. Yea, If I buy sticks right now, it will be a sampler, like maybe 2 of each sticks.

I will fill up what I have now and just see how the % holds up, if its not, then I will get some more sticks
  • Options
    ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    100 ct is somewhat large for only one tube of beads. I know that it says it will be good enough, but I have found I always need a little more to hold the humidity. I have a 100ct with a large disk of beads and then I keep 2 of the humicare pillows in there for the assist.
  • Options
    Yes, I thought of that as well. And looking at pictures of alot of peoples desktop humidors, I saw them having multiple tubes, beads, and other huidification products in there. Thanks for the heads up.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    We need a pic bro!
  • Options
    brotheradambrotheradam Posts: 896
    Congrats Shawn, and to think just a little bit ago you were barely getting started.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Honestly, adding and removing humicare pillows as needed to maintain humidity as the contents of my humi rises and falls is one of the most economical means I have found, especially since I get a few with every CCOM order I place, free!
  • Options
    fla-gypsy:
    We need a pic bro!
    Its seriously pretty naked. Probably going to start the season process Sunday. I will take a before and after picture and then load it up.

If you mean just the humidor, I posted a picture on page 2.
  • Options
    brotheradam:
    Congrats Shawn, and to think just a little bit ago you were barely getting started.
    Yup. It is kinda big though to be honest. I have about 20 sticks, so we shall see what happens...

Thanks bro!
  • Options
    brotheradambrotheradam Posts: 896
    zeebra:
    brotheradam:
    Yup. It is kinda big though to be honest. I have about 20 sticks, so we shall see what happens...

Thanks bro!
    I'm sure it will fill up quickly :)