Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Helix Maduro 5X50

This is my first "review" and because I know so little about how to properly review a cigar it is going to be a very short synopsis. First of all this cigar was graciously given to me by another BOTL, (he taught me what that meant) Goldy! This cigar had a dark, oily wrapper that had a lot of "veins" in it. I'm not sure if veins is a proper term but thats the only way I could describe it. The wrapper also had a lot of little bumps all over it which made it look like it had a little rash. I'm not trying to say that the cigar was ugly looking because I really liked the way it looked. It felt great in my hand as well which is always a plus. The cigar's feel overall was very comfortable as if you could do just about whatever activity you wanted to and not feel like holding the cigar was too awkward. The cigar smelled great. I can't exactly say like what exactly because I can't quite identify those things yet but all I can say is that it wasn't overpowering or bitter but subtle and almost sweet. The pre-light draw was good. The cigar smoked quite a bit from the foot but didn't produce an incredible amount of smoke otherwise. The smoke was thin as well not thick and full like I had experienced on other cigars. In fact, when I drew in I had to blow it out my nose and mouth just to be sure that I had taken anything in. Perhaps that sounds like a very novice thing to say but its a fact; at times I wasn't sure I was smoking at all. The cigar burned fast but it was an enjoyable activity while doing homework outside on a beautiful Arizona spring late afternoon. The only down-side was that at times it tasted bitter in the back of my throat. Other than that, it was a fun enjoyable smoke

Comments

• Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Tasted bitter at the back of your throat? Hopefully you were'nt inhaling it. Good review, though for your first one, and welcome to the forums.
  • Options
    GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    Nice review, I think for my first review I said somehting like "Tasted like a cigar". Now try the centurian.
  • Options
    Corymc23Corymc23 Posts: 31
    No bro I was not inhaling. What I meant by the back of the throat I suppose is more like the very back of the tongue.
  • Options
    I think the last review on this stick I saw before this one said something like "it tasted like burnt goat ass" how he got that comparsion I would not want to know.
  • Options
    I certainly have no idea what burnt goat ass tastes like but I am sure it tastes nothing like the Helix Cigar. Honestly it was a cigar that I would enjoy again if I were doing something else like golfing or someting. I wouldn't buy that cigar so that I could relax and enjoy a cigar. i don't smoke enough to just go through cigars so I like a little more quality when i do get to smoke. But all in all, not burnt goat ass.
  • Options
    I feel ya bro, I wouldnt know on either account(helix or goat), I just cant help but to remember that comment, no matter how much I dont want to.lol. btw welcome to the forums.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Helix BLAH! I smoked a Helix and it is exactly what I would expect a goat's ass to taste like if I was in the habit of tasting the rear ends of goats. To each their own though. We can't all have top notch taste and love Gurkha. LMAO. Nice way to jump in bro. Seriously Helix to me is below a grape flavored Swisher.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Although the Helix is not a cigar I would smoke again, it is one I've had and decided there are many cigar that are much better. Keep trying new sticks and you will see what I mean. There will be a day when you will be smoking a cigar, and KNOW what a great cigar is.
  • Options
    I am absolutely looking forward to that day. I'm looking forward to the many cigars I have in my "waiting to be smoked" section of my humidor... which is all of them! I'll let you guys know what I think and then you guys can let me know which animals ass this one tastes like! Juuuust kidding!
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I just wonder how it tastes compared to my all time worst smoke - the Sol Cubano Artisan. Goat's ass would have been a step up the flavor ladder...
  • Options
    GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    cabinetmaker:
    I just wonder how it tastes compared to my all time worst smoke - the Sol Cubano Artisan. Goat's ass would have been a step up the flavor ladder...

That is one of the best looking sticks but I have never heard a good thing about it taste wise. I kinda want to buy one just to have it in the humi.
  • Options
    It is an incredible looking stick! I haven't heard much about it either but for such a high price I would think that the taste would be at least fair. Worse than goats ass though?! We should start a new thread and call it, "sticks that taste like goat's ass"!