Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Gurkha Micro-Batch C-10

I had the opportunity last night to fire up this stick, part of the starter pack Alex W. sent me (thanks!) as a welcome gift.

I set out to do this review more streamlined than my last one, which was a little rigid and "by-the-books". I didn't take as copious of notes on it, becuause honestly I wanted to just let my mind wander and enjoy it. Most of the tasting notes below are from the moments when the flavor really stands out, and manages to pull my thoughts back from wherever they were.

The cigar is well constructed and has a nice feel. The aroma pre-light is of wood and some clean tobacco notes. Toasting the foot lets off some great cedar smells and makes me look forward to the light. It's one of only a few Churchill's I've smoked and I must say it's a vitola I'm coming to like.

The dominant flavor was cedar and wood, with some leather undertones. I caught one puff that had some nut flavor and one with a little toast, but for the most part the flavor profile was very consistent. The wood flavor intensified as the smoke progressed, and picked up alot more of the cedar notes in the second half. In the last third I had to set it down and let it burn out. Some bitterness came out on the relight but a second purge cleared it up quicly. Total smoke time was ~1.5hrs.

As usual I had a glass of neat Quarter Cask Laphroaig while smoking and the flavors complimented each other well. Overall this is a great Connie and one I would definitely smoke again.

Comments

• Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Nice review. I had some Laphroaig for the first time a week or so ago and it was quite a tasty scotch. Very smokey and peaty. Did you sign up to own your square foot of land?
  • Options
    illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    I too loved this cigar, very nice review man.. gotta try that Laphroaig scotch, 21st birthday's coming up, is it pretty available or is it hard to get?
  • Options
    doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    sightunseen:
    Nice review. I had some Laphroaig for the first time a week or so ago and it was quite a tasty scotch. Very smokey and peaty. Did you sign up to own your square foot of land?

Thanks!

I haven't registered for my land yet. I've been drinking Laphroaig as my go-to for about the last year or so and have been saving the pamphlets from each bottle. Their offer of a dram of scotch on your visit is additive for each square foot you own as well. My (diabolical) plan is to amass a collection and cash them all in at once in the hopes that I'll get adjoining pieces of land. Then I'm going to visit, collect my full bottle, camp out on my plot and drink it until the sun goes down.

By my calculations I'll need to drink 405 bottles to accomplish this, but I'll hopefully have a 20'x20' plot ;)

Of course I could end up with a 1'x405' plot I guess....

• Options
    doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    illinoisgolf99:
    I too loved this cigar, very nice review man.. gotta try that Laphroaig scotch, 21st birthday's coming up, is it pretty available or is it hard to get?
    You will not be disappointed with the Laphroaig. It opened up the world of Islay scotches to me and it goes perfectly with every stogie I've had it with.

It's pretty widely available at most any liquor store worth their salt. Certainly you shouldn't have any trouble finding the standard 10yr old, but you may have to call around to find the Quarter Cask. I highly recommend the Quarter Cask, especially if it's your first Islay. It is a bit smoother without sacrificing any flavor. Aging in the smaller casks mellows the body and adds some additional oak flavors. Plus, it's historically how whiskey was delivered, so it's got that "old time" goodness about it.

Try it neat at first, and then add just a splash of filtered/bottled water. The small bit of water really opens up the aroma and flavor, but it's good to compare neat as well.

Let me know how you like it when you find it!

• Options
    brotheradambrotheradam Posts: 896
    Nice review, I have a couple sitting in my humi. Looking forward to smoking them.
  • Options
    Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Posts: 1,515
    doromath:
    I had the opportunity last night to fire up this stick, part of the starter pack Alex W. sent me (thanks!) as a welcome gift.

I set out to do this review more streamlined than my last one, which was a little rigid and "by-the-books". I didn't take as copious of notes on it, becuause honestly I wanted to just let my mind wander and enjoy it. Most of the tasting notes below are from the moments when the flavor really stands out, and manages to pull my thoughts back from wherever they were.

The cigar is well constructed and has a nice feel. The aroma pre-light is of wood and some clean tobacco notes. Toasting the foot lets off some great cedar smells and makes me look forward to the light. It's one of only a few Churchill's I've smoked and I must say it's a vitola I'm coming to like.

The dominant flavor was cedar and wood, with some leather undertones. I caught one puff that had some nut flavor and one with a little toast, but for the most part the flavor profile was very consistent. The wood flavor intensified as the smoke progressed, and picked up alot more of the cedar notes in the second half. In the last third I had to set it down and let it burn out. Some bitterness came out on the relight but a second purge cleared it up quicly. Total smoke time was ~1.5hrs.

As usual I had a glass of neat Quarter Cask Laphroaig while smoking and the flavors complimented each other well. Overall this is a great Connie and one I would definitely smoke again.

Hey bro I'm glad you liked it! That one has exactly a year on it and I just checked in my humi and I have no more!! You got the last of my box ;) good review and keep em comin!