Home Cigar 101
Options

Newb

Grumpy1328Grumpy1328 Posts: 3

For years, have loved the smell of a cigar but just couldn't smoke 'em.  Seemed too bitter, had too much of a bite.  About a week ago, was given a Macanudo Hampton Court.  Sat down with a glass of wine and found out why people smoke these things!  I'm told that this particular cigar is on the mild side.  Okay by me, but are there any other recommendations for a cigar that is also on the mild side?  I don't like something too hot or with a bite.  Maybe I'm just a weenie....

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Ashton makes a great mild cigar, the Ashton Classic with a white label. Avo is a nice line that has some mild cigars as well, the regular Avo is a great example. The Perdomo Reserve 10th Champagne is a very creamy mild cigar and is the cigar I turned someone away from Macanudo with.

Oh yeah, welcome aboard. You may just be getting into cigars now, but stick around and you'll learn a lot.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Grumpy1328:
    and found out why people smoke these things!
    This is a great moment in a person's life. I remember when it happened to me. /sniff.
  • Options
    Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum. There are a ton of great mild sticks. Call Ccom and ask them to put a sampler together for you.
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Poker Slob:
    Welcome to the forum. There are a ton of great mild sticks. Call Ccom and ask them to put a sampler together for you.

I'll second that. The staff at ccom are terrific and will help you put a sampler together at a resonable price. Enjoy and welcome aboard.

• Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Welcome aboard. You might want to give a look to Gurkha Park Ave. Very mild, flavorful, not very expensive.
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    You gotta try a Nub conni, so very nice and mellow......... welcome to the forum buddy.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    firetruckguy:
    You gotta try a Nub conni, so very nice and mellow......... welcome to the forum buddy.
    +1
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard. Romeo y Julietas are pretty dang tasty milds.
  • Options
    coachjamiecoachjamie Posts: 337
    I like Mild to Med sticks as well. Definitely try the House Blend Purple label and the NUB Connecticut out. The 5 Vegas Gold is supposed to be a really good Mild stick as well. I have not tried one yet though. The 5 Vegas Classic is really good Med stick.

I am new here as well. It has been a lot fun learning from everyone here. Enjoy it!

Jamie
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Some other Mild cigars you may enjoy would be 5 Vegas Gold, CAO Gold, La Aurora, and Fonseca, to name a few. Macanudo is a good starting point for those new to cigars. It won't be long before you are venturing into bolder more flavorful cigars. Welcome Grumpy ( by name not by nature).
  • Options
    undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    By no means does a mild stick make you a sissy. Milder smoke are usually full of creamy flavors and are very relaxing. It's whatever your palate likes. I also recommend just calling the 800 number and explain to them you are new and prefer a mild smoke. When you call in, you will typically get better prices than the site. The reason they do this is because they cannot possible post every deal the have online. They also may have an abundance of a particular cigar(s) that they would like to move and lower the price for you. Welcome to the boards and keep us updated on your new hobby. Also, since you are going to eventually ask, get a much bigger humidor than you think. First, they don't hold nearly what they say they do. A 100 count humi may hold 60-70 cigars. I know it sounds crazy if you are new that you will hold that many cigars at once. . . . . . but you will. We all did at one time.
  • Options
    Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    undulac:
    By no means does a mild stick make you a sissy. Milder smoke are usually full of creamy flavors and are very relaxing. It's whatever your palate likes. I also recommend just calling the 800 number and explain to them you are new and prefer a mild smoke. When you call in, you will typically get better prices than the site. The reason they do this is because they cannot possible post every deal the have online. They also may have an abundance of a particular cigar(s) that they would like to move and lower the price for you. Welcome to the boards and keep us updated on your new hobby. Also, since you are going to eventually ask, get a much bigger humidor than you think. First, they don't hold nearly what they say they do. A 100 count humi may hold 60-70 cigars. I know it sounds crazy if you are new that you will hold that many cigars at once. . . . . . but you will. We all did at one time.
    +1 on the humidor. Welcome to the group. These guys are funny, entertaining and knowledgeable. And the best part is how much they charge for their expertise...not a darn cent!
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    firetruckguy:
    No offense to anyone, but in my opinion stay away from the Ccom house blends. I super second the Nub connie - get it in the larger ring guages that you can find 60+
  • Options
    mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    Fourtotheflush:
    firetruckguy:
    No offense to anyone, but in my opinion stay away from the Ccom house blends. I super second the Nub connie - get it in the larger ring guages that you can find 60+
    Have you had bad experiences with them? I have nothing but good to say about the Brazilian and Cuban labels. Mind you I haven't dabbled in the milder offerings too much.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Welcome to CCOM! Everyone here is really helpful and friendly. Be sure to offer prayers to the Beard on a regular basis. In return, he will hook you up with amazing service, and perfectly burning cigars.
  • Options
    bigbgballzbigbgballz Posts: 283
    bigharpoon:
    Welcome aboard. Romeo y Julietas are pretty dang tasty milds.

I second that! Althogh, I enjoy different cigars, Romeos have a speial place in my humidor!
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Grumpy1328:
    ...Seemed too bitter, had too much of a bite....I don't like something too hot or with a bite. Maybe I'm just a weenie....
    or maybe you were smoking a cigar the was too dry. or maybe you were smoking the cigar too fast. maybe you lit the cigar too hot. maybe you were smoking an off brand.
    there are many factors that could have given you a bitter taste.
    dont assume that you only like mild sticks because the ones you have had in the past were bitter. one thing i learned early on is that just because you like one type of cigar doesnt mean you wont like another.
    generally i like a full bodied cigar but there are plenty of occasions where i like to sit back with a medium or even mild cigar. every cigar has its place.