Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Fly fishing anyone?

I recently took up the hobby on a whim and I must sayed I'm hooked! (pun intended) It's loads of fun and much more rewarding than normal fishing, and a fair bit classier if I do say so myself ;) I've been going on some lakes in my lady friends neighborhood and have had some moderate success. Here's a couple of my catches from yesterday. They aren't too big, but on a 6wt fly rod and a single action reel they're more than a fun fight. Anyone else tried their hand at this?

Comments

• Options
    undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    My father in law has been fly fishing for about 10 years now. he joined a club about an hour away (Cleveland, OH area). I've never been, but all he does is talk about how relaxing it is.
  • Options
    Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Posts: 1,515
    I absolutely LOVE fly fishing! I also fly fish for mainly warm water fish (bass and bream) because there aren't trout in Alabama. If you want some fun and a GREAT fight, tie on a poppin bug in a place where bream are prevalent. Vicious strikes and a great fight. I caught a 1.5 pound bluegill on my five weight and I swear it was a harder fight than the five pound bass I had caught a week before on that same set up! It is a great hobby! In three weeks I'll be in Bozeman Montana and can't wait to catch some trout!!
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    Come on up to Colorado....... I know some streams and lakes at 8000 feet that are fly fishing heaven. Im not a fly man myself....... I always end up snapping off the hook.
  • Options
    mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    Alex Williams:
    I absolutely LOVE fly fishing! I also fly fish for mainly warm water fish (bass and bream) because there aren't trout in Alabama. If you want some fun and a GREAT fight, tie on a poppin bug in a place where bream are prevalent. Vicious strikes and a great fight. I caught a 1.5 pound bluegill on my five weight and I swear it was a harder fight than the five pound bass I had caught a week before on that same set up! It is a great hobby! In three weeks I'll be in Bozeman Montana and can't wait to catch some trout!!
    That's mainly what I've been using, deer hair and foam poppers for panfish and bass.
  • Options
    Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    I got into fly fishing a few years ago and I love it. Living up here in NE Ohio I have one of the best Steelhead Trout runs in the country and thats what got me started. Last year I started tying my own flies. If you want to know what satisfaction feels like just wait til you catch a fish on one of your own flies. Its great. You picked a great hobby to get into just be careful, just like cigars this can become a very expensive hobby to have.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    I have always wanted to try my hand at it!
  • Options
    bigbgballzbigbgballz Posts: 283
    Never tried but it looks lots fun especially with a cigar in your mouth:) I think i will give it a shot.
  • Options
    GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    I tried to smoke a cigar and fish a river once, basically, I hooked a fish and pulled back on the rod and the line hit the cherry which was game over.

Anyway, I do like to fly fish but I dont like catching trout so I have been working on fishing for bass which is great fun.