Home Cigar 101
Options

Over humidified cigar

lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
How long should you let an over-humidified cigar rest for before smoking it? Should it be left out for any amount of time? Or just stabilize in the humidor? Will it throw off the the rh in the humidor?

Lots of questions, I know. I just bought a Tatuaje Havana IV that has some plume on it and seems a bit too spongy. Wanna know how long I should let it rest before trying it.......
Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..

Comments

• Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    It seems like every single cigar I ever buy from any B&M anywhere is over-humidified. Their walk-ins feel like a sauna when I go in. At this point I pretty much just bring them home and put them into a humi and let them sit for at least a few weeks and wait.
  • Options
    doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    I'd say you may have just answered your own question. If it feels too spongy to you then let it sit for a few days to a week and check it again. I would think that after a week in the humi it should be stabilized enough for you to feel an improvement.

Not sure if it will make much of a difference or not but if it were me I'd put it right in the humi so that it comes down to the proper moisture level gradually, and you don't risk overshooting it. Should mean you shock the cigar less.

Though it shouldn't have enough extra moisture to really affect your humidor, I would still put it next to your hygro (especially if you have a glass top) so you can monitor it.

Just my $0.02.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    I bought an over-humidified cigar a few weeks ago - came home, put it in my humi away from the others, and 3 weeks later, it feels the same as all my others (which is to say, it lost some of its humidity/moisture and is now normal)
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    If it's covered in plume then it was stored correctly, and despite how it feels is probably good to go now. That having been said, i'd still let it rest a couple of days.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    cabinetmaker:
    If it's covered in plume then it was stored correctly, and despite how it feels is probably good to go now. That having been said, i'd still let it rest a couple of days.
    this is true.

another way to look at it...
    if it is over humidified and it has bloom it may not actually be bloom. it could be mold. if it is 3D (seems to stand out from the surface of the cigar), or looks like it has structure, then it is mold. if it is 2D (just on the surface of the cigar) it is bloom. bloom is also fairly sparkly.

if it is bloom, your worst case is you let it sit in the humidor far a few weeks and when you feel that its good to go you smoke it.

if its mold, and you feel safe doing this, wipe it off, smoke it. good luck.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    At one point I think Kaleria had some up close pics of some mold growing on his cigars. it was pretty cool!