Home Cigar 101
Options

humidor sampler

First off hello to everyone im just getting in to cigars and im new to the whole cigar community.

As being new I just bought one of the samplers that comes with a humidor and i was wondering if the humidors come ready to go or do i have to season it. If so what should i do with the sticks that came with it while it is being seasoned.

Comments

• Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Every new humidor needs to be seasoned. In the meantime, use the humidity pillow that'll ship with the Ccom cigars and it, and the cigars, in a sealed tupperware container
  • Options
    ok cool thanks alot
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    And make sure you season the humidor properly, nothing worse than putting those cigars in a poorly seasoned humi and finding out they're all dried up. The method I'd recommend is the shallow dish full of distilled water in the closed humidor left alone for no less than 3 days, after which you can put the charged humidifier in with your hygrometer, remove the dish and see if it stays stable, when it is stabilized then you can start filling it up.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
  • Options
    Ok, now when I season the humidor I have read mixed reveiws about whether or not to wipe the entire box inside with a damp cloth. What do you guys think? I have heard that it is bad for the humidor and can cause it to worp or crack.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I personally don't do any wiping and wouldn't recommend it, but many seem to have no problem. If anything, wiping down the humidor is going to speed up the seasoning process by a nominal amount of time, so I'd say go with the dish and see how that does. If, at the very end, you can't get your RH stabilized, then try wiping it down. Frankly though, I just don't feel it's a necessary step in the seasoning process.
  • Options
    ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    don't do it. It sucks some of the natural oils out of the wood that help it hold the humidity and keep the integrity of the wood. You'll see that if you do wipe it, the cloth will be colored from the oils. The natural humidity of the air exchange process is crucial to keeping the wood and the cigars, healthy.
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll second those who use the dish of distilled water. I use a small pyrex which holds a little over a cup of water and is kind of shallow. If it has a puck, spritz that with distilled water and put it in also. Then just follow the directions mentioned above.

Remember, slow is better. (I've heard that somewhere before!)
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Click the link in my Sig, if you win the humi comes with 10 cigars, humidifyer, and hygrometer plus it's already seasoned.