Home Cigar 101

Cigar Oasis ?

alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
Does anyone have a small-medium sized cabinet humidor? I was wondering if anyone had any experience humidifying one because I was looking at getting two of the Cigar Oasis XL units. Does anyone know how many square feet each one will handle, for real?

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    What is the approximate cigar count Tony? If it is less than 1000, I'd venture to say one Oasis XL would do the trick, and maybe a pound or two of beads throughout for the sake of balance. I've got an Oasis XL in my Rubbermaid tub which is about 4'x2'x30" and it barely runs at all, point being I think depending on size one might handle it fine, then again we're talking a tight, plastic seal versus wood, so the plastic will always have less leakage due to its lack of porosity.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555

Not to derail this, but every time I see the words Cigar Oasis, I think of a wonderful place in the desert that has a cool pool w a cabana and a harem where you can smoke cigars! Ahhh a Cigar Oasis.

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Fourtotheflush:

Not to derail this, but every time I see the words Cigar Oasis, I think of a wonderful place in the desert that has a cool pool w a cabana and a harem where you can smoke cigars! Ahhh a Cigar Oasis.

There is a Cigar Shop near where I work called Cigar Oasis, every time I see the words Cigar Oasis, I feel the need to spend money.
  • pnaylonpnaylon Posts: 214
    Fourtotheflush:

I was thinking of the same thing, but with a cigar tree and crabs that are trained to pop out of the water and perfectly cut your cigar.

• docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    pnaylon:
    Fourtotheflush:

I was thinking of the same thing, but with a cigar tree and crabs that are trained to pop out of the water and perfectly cut your cigar.

LMAO
  • txjayhawktxjayhawk Posts: 311
    alienmisprint:
    Does anyone have a small-medium sized cabinet humidor? I was wondering if anyone had any experience humidifying one because I was looking at getting two of the Cigar Oasis XL units. Does anyone know how many square feet each one will handle, for real?
    I use a similar product (Hydra) for my cabinet. I have around 460 sticks in there right now and I could probably get another 2-300 in there. My hydra unit is the smaller of the two on the market. It is supposed to be good for up to 8 cubic feet. I run that and about a pound of beeds and it keeps the RH right at 65. Hope that helps.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    What is the approximate cigar count Tony? If it is less than 1000, I'd venture to say one Oasis XL would do the trick, and maybe a pound or two of beads throughout for the sake of balance. I've got an Oasis XL in my Rubbermaid tub which is about 4'x2'x30" and it barely runs at all, point being I think depending on size one might handle it fine, then again we're talking a tight, plastic seal versus wood, so the plastic will always have less leakage due to its lack of porosity.
    I'm not sure about the exact stick count for it, I would estimate around 1,500-2,000 though. It is a little less than 6 ft tall and about 2 ft wide. SO maybe two Oasis and a pound of beads?
    Hmm, yeah...one Oasis might struggle to keep that humidified.
    I was also looking at one of those moist-n-air's. They use them alot in shops on their large cabinet humidors. One is supposed to humidify 48 cu ft. I am kinda worried about that being too much, although the site describes them as perfect for end table or cabinet humidors. And, one of the moist-n-air's is considerably cheaper than two oasis's.
    If it can humidify up to 48 Cu. ft, then to me all that means is it would handle your cabinet much easier than an Oasis would. I didn't even think of that at first, but I'd be tempted to go with the larger humidifier.
    Cool deal, that's what I'll be going with then. Thanks for the advice, can't wait to get everything up and running.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I have the Humicare 1000 Pro in mine, I've had to fill it once since I got it, it holds almost 1/2 a gallon of water. That should do fine for yours assuming a good seal. The thing you most need are some fans to circulate the air, that'll make the biggest difference. I'd have split the door to one upper, one lower, and had the drawers not behind the doors for easy access.; but it still loooks great. Oh, I also have a pound and a half of beads in mine (not in the humicare, seperate)
    alienmisprint:
    I was also looking at one of those moist-n-air's. They use them alot in shops on their large cabinet humidors. One is supposed to humidify 48 cu ft. I am kinda worried about that being too much, although the site describes them as perfect for end table or cabinet humidors. And, one of the moist-n-air's is considerably cheaper than two oasis's.
    I looked at one of those, but it looked just too bulky for me. Mine is a bit smaller than yours, though, so space counts.
    cabinetmaker:
    alienmisprint:
    I looked at one of those, but it looked just too bulky for me. Mine is a bit smaller than yours, though, so space counts.
    Yeah, the bottom area is wired with two outlets, so I can run a cord to the bottom, probably where I'll put the humidifier, then one up above the drawers for a small electric fan to circulate the air. I was also planning on getting little tupperwares to put beads in in the back of each drawer, and then probably one on each shelf in the back.
    The only real problem I see is that every time you open the door, you'll dump all your humidity; so get the biggest one you can find. I went to Radio Shack and bought 2 small computer fans and wired them to fit the humicare and though they pull a bit more power then the smaller fans that go with the unit, they last longer and push more air.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Your humi sounds about the same size as mine, alien, and I use an Oasis II. I don't think 2 XLs would get the job done -- or, if they did, you'd be refilling them constantly.

I dunno how big the Moist-n-Air unit is, but size does matter, even in a cabinet humi. IOW, you don't want your humidity device to eat too much space. Bear in mind that, whatever you get, it will actually take up about twice its own size, because of all the space you need to give it to breathe.
    Cool deal, thanks for the advice everyone, I just started seasoning it a few minutes ago, wiping everything down and putting in dishes of distilled water. I'll keep posted on the progress.
    I did end up ordering the moist-n-air. I'll let you know how big it is and how much space it takes up, etc, when I get it in.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    alienmisprint:
    Cool deal, thanks for the advice everyone, I just started seasoning it a few minutes ago, wiping everything down and putting in dishes of distilled water. I'll keep posted on the progress.
    For the love of God, man! Don't tell me you're wiping it with a wet sponge!
    xmacro:
    alienmisprint:
    For the love of God, man! Don't tell me you're wiping it with a wet sponge!
    Lol, not exactly. It came straight from the guy's workshop, I had to get all the excess wood dust off everything inside. Don't get me wrong, there weren't piles of sawdust or anything, but there was a good bit of residue.

I got the Moist-N-Air in today. It is huge, I'll get some pics up in a few.
    Cool, alien. Please do post those pics. I'll be interested to see this beastie.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    urbino:
    Cool, alien. Please do post those pics. I'll be interested to see this beastie.

+1
    Photobucket

Photobucket
    Those are just to give you an idea of the size of it. I do wish I had the outlet on the upper half of the cabinet though. I'm going to have to get a fan to put in the bottom.
    Awsome cabinet Tony ... I see the pups doing well also huh ...
    Oh yeah, he's over a year old now. He's still an awesome dog. Have you seen his brother? I need to get some new pics of both of them up.
    alienmisprint:
    Oh yeah, he's over a year old now. He's still an awesome dog. Have you seen his brother? I need to get some new pics of both of them up.

No , didn't know you had 2 ...see what happens when your gone a little while !!! Would love to see some pics , dogs are just awsome man !!!
    Wow. That's a big sunuvagun. Ought to keep your stogies in fine fettle without even breaking a sweat. What's the red dealie sticking up on the right side. A dipstick?
    urbino:
    What's the red dealie sticking up on the right side. A dipstick?
    That's the homing beacon to the mother-ship.
    j0z3r:
    urbino:
    What's the red dealie sticking up on the right side. A dipstick?
    That's the homing beacon to the mother-ship.
    Roger.