Home Cigar 101
Options

Humidity way too high

docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
So I have a quick question. I seasoned a 20 ct. humidor last week to keep some of my overflow in, and after only two days, I put my hygrometer in, and the RH read 88%. I took the dish out, and left only the hockey puck and hygro in there over night, and it still read 86% 24 hours later. I obviously didn't put any sticks in it, but I am wondering... if I put some 65% beads in it, will they actually bring the RH DOWN to 65%? I live in central Virginia, and while my home is air conditioned, and kept in the high 60s termperatur wise... our humidity can be off the charts during the spring and summer. I have also noticed that the RH in my larger humidor has crept up 2% in the last week or so as the weather has changed. I am just looking for stability, and am strongly considering the transition to beads.

tl;dr, will beads bring down my humidity if it gets too high?

Comments

• Options
    mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    Yes, silica gel releases as well as absorbs humidity.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    The puck can tend to over-humidify your humidor, for that reason they aren't incredibly reliable unless you are in the habit of using 50/50 solution. I think beads are a solid investment, they don't really wear out and you can pretty much recharge them indefinitely. Check out this link for some good prices on beads. Beads.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Well, for the time being, I took the hockey puck out, and replaced it with a water pillow, and it has not come down to 68%, so I'm not too worried. I definitely will be investing in some beads this week though. Thanks fellas.