Home Cigar 101
Options

Digital hygrometer issue.

Hey guys,

New to the forums here and I'm a semi-newbie cigar lover! I recently received a digital hygrometer from a close friend of mine and he did the salt test and it read 65% RH. However, I decided to conduct my own test to it and it read 72% RH. I'm having a hard to deciding which test I should go by.

Here is the kicker, my test was about 10 hours (I had to work late). So I'm wondering if keeping it in the zip-lock bag would've messed up the reading or not. Thanks a lot guys!

Comments

• Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    The salt test should take about 12+ hours in a stable environment. I don't really trust the salt tests myself. I calibrated my hygro with a calibration kit from Boveda, which was easy to use and was accurate.
  • Options
    ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    +1. Agree with all of this
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    In my experience, the salt test needs 36 hours before the humidity stops fluctuating and is stable; even if you buy the Boveda packs, the directions say to wait 36 hrs
  • Options
    Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    For the price of the Boveda cal kit it is worth the piece of mind that comes with it. I never end up with the same reading when I tried the salt test so I never use it anymore, only Boveda.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Agreed on the 36 hours and I don't use a baggie I prefer a tupperware with a good seal.
  • Options
    aron325aron325 Posts: 158
    i just started too and bought a cheap one from wal-mart for $7. That was the worst money I have ever spent. I then bought a adjustable one and got the boveda calibration kit and let it sit for the 36 hrs. My hygro is reading 75% and is great I tried the salt test with my hygro from wal-mart and only got around 65% so I really trust the Boveda cal kit. for $4 you can't go wrong.

Hope that helps
  • Options
    Sweet, thanks for the responses guys. I just ordered the calibration kit, so it should be a pretty sweet deal.

However, now since I've ordered the kit, I need to calibrate the hygrometers, what should I do with my cigars meanwhile, now since I can't read the meters? Keep them in my humi? or just put them somewhere else?
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    AntiClimacus:
    Sweet, thanks for the responses guys. I just ordered the calibration kit, so it should be a pretty sweet deal. However, now since I've ordered the kit, I need to calibrate the hygrometers, what should I do with my cigars meanwhile, now since I can't read the meters? Keep them in my humi? or just put them somewhere else?
    If you order from Ccom, they ship with the humi-pillows, so just keep the cigars in the bag.