Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic 1979

lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
This is the robusto size (5 x 50).

Pre-light: Very well constructed. Carmel colored wrapper. Minimal veins. Smooth lines. Rich sweet tobacco smell.

Cut: Used a double guillotine Cuban Crafters Perfect Cut cutter. The cap had a slightly sweet taste to it.

Light: Toasted perfectly with no problems.

First draw: Lots of pepper and Spice right off the bat. Heavy smoke output. Draw is perfect. A little resistance but not too much. The first inch or so had a lot of flavor. Cedar, leather and spice mostly. With a hint of pepper on the finish.

Second third: Flavors and body have intensified. It started out medium and went to full. Very enjoyable. Lots of spice and more sweet tobacco flavor with some oil on the finish. But not so much oil that it covers your tongue.Just enough to let you know it's there. After I remove the first band, a small crack forms in the wrapper. It doesn't become a problem, though. Flavors are consistent through the second third.

Last third: Getting a little more of a pepper zing on the finish. Very smooth overall. Burn is a little wavy due to the crack, but still manageable. Smoked down to the nub.

I have to say that this is my favorite DPG, so far. I think I liked it better than the JJ Maduro. And that's saying a lot, because I'm a maduro smoker in general.

I give this a 4 out of 5. Only because of the minor burn issues. Otherwise, it would have gotten a 5.
Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..

Comments

• Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    This stick is what got me back into smoking great cigars. It is pretty awesome, and very well priced.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Yea, this has got to be one of the most consistently good smokes on the market. I have several of them in the humi and can always count on them when I want something good.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Is this the same as the DPG Cuban Classic or is the 1979 a special release?
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Fourtotheflush:
    The "1979" is just the size reference. All the vitolas have a year associated with them.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I just had another one of these last weekend. Damn tasty. I've yet to be disappointed by anything DPG.
  • Options
    ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    I "like" this cigar too, but it has a lot of body to it. Snuck up on me, even in its small size. But it has classic cuban flavor to it, can't argue that. I prefer the Sol Cubano cuban cabinet for this flavor profile over this cigar though. Most of the taste, way less on the body.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    lilwing88:
    Fourtotheflush:
    The "1979" is just the size reference. All the vitolas have a year associated with them.
    Thanks, I have two of these resting now to be fired up soon.