Home Cigar 101

Plume on older cigars

camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
On many websites and in cigar forums I read about "PLUME" or "BLOOM" in cigars. This is a white powder looking substance caused by the oils in a cigar when it ages. I never really see any pictures that show this effect clearly, so I thought that I would supply one here so that it can be seen properly. Some may confuse this with mold, but mold may be green-ish or blue-ish. Plume does not have a smell and can be easily wiped off of the cigar without leaving a stain, like mold would do.

Here is an image from a couple of my San Cristobal Cubans from May of 2001 to show what real plume looks like:

I'm sure some of you will tell me that it really is mold and that I should send these sticks to you for "testing", so a "thanks but no" in advance may be in order, lol

Comments

• sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Those are some nice looking cigars. Another point I want to add is that mold is in "3-D" while plume is not.
  • LeftFiveLeftFive Posts: 184 ✭✭
    That's cool, I'm a candle maker and the beeswax and bayberry candles we dip grow the same thing if stored for long enough. I'll take a picture of it on Monday.
    I've always been curious about the reason it forms. That's the best picture I've seen of it on a cigar.

To anyone doing a google image search for 'cigar bloom' beware. The 7th result is a picture of a box of Padrons that was massacred by beetles. I still feel queasy.
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing that.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    had some ISOM Cuaba's that did that as well.
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    dennisking:
    had some ISOM Cuaba's that did that as well.
    I've got the same thing starting on my ISOM Cogiba cigars from Dec of 2002. I haven't touched them yet, but now that they are starting to bloom I think this will be the year to start smoking them...no, I KNOW this will be the year, lol. Can't take 'em with me, as they say!

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Very nice!!

For anyone who doesn't know - Plume is 2D and dusty; Mold is 3D and fluffy

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    camgfs
    you have a PM.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Is it a good idea to post pictures of Cuban cigars on an American forum?
    Well, I'm Canadian, so nothing illegal here eh? Sorry if I shouldn't have done it.

kuzi16:
    camgfs
    you have a PM.
    PM replied, and thank you for the info.

• cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    camgfs:
    Well, I'm Canadian, so nothing illegal here eh? Sorry if I shouldn't have done it.

I was hoping that was the case, post away!
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I don't know camgfs, I keep thinking mold brother. Either way wipe it off before you smoke it. That just doesn't look right to me. It looks fuzzy which is not a good thing.
  • mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    Yea that definitely looks a bit 3D.
  • badge54fdbadge54fd Posts: 241
    If I talk about white powdery substance here at work, I am likely going to get the hazmat team responding to check things out. That would NOT be a good idea.... They would likely want to smoke the sticks to make sure they were not exposed to toxic/hazardous substances
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    kaspera79:
    I don't know camgfs, I keep thinking mold brother. Either way wipe it off before you smoke it. That just doesn't look right to me. It looks fuzzy which is not a good thing.
    I kinda see where you might think that Kas, but I've seen quite a few boxes of well aged cigars at the B&M I go to and most of them look like this, very few have an even coating of oils and most have spots just like in cam's pic. Beautiful cigars, by the way, I'm jealous.
    Looks like my reply got lost in cyberspace. Many different opinions on this "Plume VS. Mold" issue. I can understand where each opinion is valid, and it's very difficult to find clear information about this. I have taken the precaution of removing these cigars from my humidor until I can be sure. I do hope that I have not posted incorrect information/images on this valuable web forum. Shame on me if I did.

I have forwarded this image to a well respected supplier asking for their opinion and will post their reply here when I get it.

Thanks to all of you for your comments and concerns!

camgfs yet another PM from me.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    camgfs:
    Looks like my reply got lost in cyberspace. Many different opinions on this "Plume VS. Mold" issue. I can understand where each opinion is valid, and it's very difficult to find clear information about this. I have taken the precaution of removing these cigars from my humidor until I can be sure. I do hope that I have not posted incorrect information/images on this valuable web forum. Shame on me if I did.

I have forwarded this image to a well respected supplier asking for their opinion and will post their reply here when I get it.

Thanks to all of you for your comments and concerns!

Well I am quite the expert on mold, from the condition of my refrigerator in my bachelor days, so what you should do is send those cigars to me. I will inspect them thoroughly and give you a full report on my findings. I don't usually use my vast knowledge for free, but to help out a fellow BOTL, I'm willing to make the sacrifice! I know, I'm just a hell of a nice guy! haha
    I took the sticks from that image I posted to a local tobacco/cigar shop that has been around for a long time (not where these were purchased). Within seconds the manager had wiped down my cigars with a clean cloth and offered to smoke one of them right away to prove to me that they were good to go! As for was it "Plume" or "Mold", he said the cure was the same. Give'em a wipe and put them back in the humi. If it comes back in a few days, it's mold and the humitiry is too high. If it does not come back, smoke them and enjoy....simple as that.

The sticks wiped clean in a couple of seconds and there is no trace of anything left on them. I can't tell the ones in that picture from the rest of the box.

The one that I smoked last night was perfect and a great cigar with a complexity of spice that changed as often as our Northern Canadian weather.

Update:

I spoke to my main supplier of ISOM cigars in the south. He tells me that the white powdery stuff you see in the cigar image I posted is indeed plume, and that they are safe to smoke. He says if I don't like the look of the sticks to simply wipe it off (already done). He named a few cigars they have in their humidor with the same spotty sorta looking stuff on them and claims that certain customers will only purchase those sticks, so I hope he was being truthfull.

This does contradict information found on ccom in their blogs that states this is mold and needs to be taken care of. My humidors are never at 80% humidity, under any condition. It rarely gets humid this far north, and certainly not enough to have an overhumidified humidor.

I can't recall, but this may have been the location where these cigars actually came from. Like I mentioned before, none of my other cigars (that are younger than 6 years) have anything like this hapening to them at all, but I'm still keeping a good eye on the humidors.

Happy smoking!

• LeftFiveLeftFive Posts: 184 ✭✭
    A day late, but here's the picture.
    It's also 2d and wipes right off. In candles, it's the best way to tell if you have a natural-wax stick; petroleum based waxes don't form bloom.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Just adding to the fire at this point, but mold will also typically appear dull, where bloom or plume will usually appear uniformly across the surface of the cigar and have a shine or sparkle to it. After all, it is crystallized particles, therefore can visually be compared to a salt or sugar crystal, though much smaller than most salt crystals we're used to seeing.

I've walked into too many cigar shops and pointed out moldy cigars, only to have the owner/worker scowl at me and say "NO, that's plume!" I just don't bother anymore. Either way, I've smoked cigars that were lightly dusted with mold and just wiped them down first and they were fine.
    From what I'm reading and hearing from so many people is that:

• B&M owners will lie about mold just to sell the cigars
    • There is confusion about mold VS. Plume or Bloom
    • Even video from ccom differs from other videos I've seen about cigar plume/mold
    • This is confusing as hell

The ccom video from August talks about plume and mold. On another site, I saw a video that showed a cigar that looked exactly like what ccom said was mold, but that 'other video' was happy because they had "plume" on their stick and couldn't wait to smoke it!
    I've had 2 B&M owners view either the cigars in the picture and/or just the picture and BOTH say it is plume. I've had respected BOTL on this forum give different opinions from the pic I posted. In the end, I have no idea what the heck is on those sticks, but DAMN, THEY TASTE GREAT!!!
    The good news is, whatever it was is not in any hurry to come back. The sticks are back in my humi and doing just great.
    Thanks again for all the input everyone.

• Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    camgfs:

• Even video from ccom differs from other videos I've seen about cigar plume/mold

The ccom video from August talks about plume and mold. On another site, I saw a video that showed a cigar that looked exactly like what ccom said was mold, but that 'other video' was happy because they had "plume" on their stick and couldn't wait to smoke it!
    I've had 2 B&M owners view either the cigars in the picture and/or just the picture and BOTH say it is plume. I've had respected BOTL on this forum give different opinions from the pic I posted. In the end, I have no idea what the heck is on those sticks, but DAMN, THEY TASTE GREAT!!!
    The good news is, whatever it was is not in any hurry to come back. The sticks are back in my humi and doing just great.

Answer to your questions, wipe em down, smoke em and if you start coughing blood, walk it off and take a salt tablet.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    camgfs:

I think it really boils down to your second bullet point: there is a lot of confusion about what plume is and how to distinguish it from mold. It's likely that many have never seen a cigar with real plume on it, conversely the same can be said about mold. I still think, based on the picture, that your cigars have plume, not mold...the fact that you wiped them down and nothing is showing up helps to support that. I had one cigar that was growing mold a few weeks back, I wish I still had it to take a picture for contrast, it looked nothing like your cigars though, it was fuzzy, raised and had a blue-green tint to it.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    You kind of just have to laugh when you consider what the response might be...
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Garen B:
    camgfs:

B&M owners will lie about mold just to sell the cigars There is confusion about mold VS. Plume or Bloom Even video from ccom differs from other videos I've seen about cigar plume/mold This is confusing as hell

In the end, I have no idea what the heck is on those sticks, but DAMN, THEY TASTE GREAT!!!

Answer to your questions, wipe em down, smoke em and if you start coughing blood, walk it off and take a salt tablet.
    LMBO, that is exactly what I would do, heck you might even get a buzz if it is mold!
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Plume is crystallized oil that has permeated through the whole cigar... if it wipes off and there is no trace it's plume/bloom

Mold is almost like cigar cancer and stains the leaf for it tries to destroy/take over the leaf...

If it wipes off and there's no dis-colorization then plume

I'd say thumbs up!
    Lasabar:
    Plume is crystallized oil that has permeated through the whole cigar... if it wipes off and there is no trace it's plume/bloom

Mold is almost like cigar cancer and stains the leaf for it tries to destroy/take over the leaf...

I'd say thumbs up!
    i dont think this rule is true 100% of the time.

then again, ive never had mold issues so i dont know first hand.
    kuzi16:
    Lasabar:

I'd say thumbs up!
    i dont think this rule is true 100% of the time.

then again, ive never had mold issues so i dont know first hand.
    From what I am learning, that rule is "good enough" for me. Even if it wasn't plume, but it wipes off easily and does not stain or otherwise harm your cigar, it's safe to smoke. I just wonder how many B&M's wipe stuff off their cigars before we purchase them and we never know about it? Hmmmm......

Still nothing growing back on those sticks, and they are back into the same humidor, so all is good either way :)