Home Cigar 101
Options

Wrappers cracking, but cigars are spongy?

When your cigars are a bit spongy but your wrapper cracks is that overly humidified? Im having a bit of a problem keeping my cigars from doing that,,,,,, thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    bigbgballzbigbgballz Posts: 283
    jhunter127:
    When your cigars are a bit spongy but your wrapper cracks is that overly humidified? Im having a bit of a problem keeping my cigars from doing that,,,,,, thanks in advance.

Yap, the filler is expanding, cracking/splitting the wrapper!
  • Options
    letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    ballz is right. It takes longer for your wrapper/binder to absorb humidity than it does for your filler toabsorb the moisture. The inside expands, and tha outside doesn't have a chance. Either acclimate the cigars slower, or bring your humidity down. I would recommend bringing the humidity down, and also testing your hygrometer
  • Options
    Okie how you bring your humidity down, I only have a 20 stick humi ( i know small) and am using 1 gel stick a Monty Cristo gel stick I think..... how you control that?
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    jhunter127:
    Okie how you bring your humidity down, I only have a 20 stick humi ( i know small) and am using 1 gel stick a Monty Cristo gel stick I think..... how you control that?
    Hard to since the gels usually default to 70% RH. Best bet is to get some 65% beads.
  • Options
    Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Do you live in a high humidity area? May want to move your humidor to a drier part of your place. If one not available or don't live in high humidity then go with beads.
  • Options
    nope I don't live in a high humidity area, and I thought that stick was made of beads Looks Like it is <ill check the RH on it..... If not I will look for some 65% stuff
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Take the gel stick out. I've had to do that before in my smaller humis. The cigars themselves will hold th RH fine.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    cabinetmaker:
    Take the gel stick out. I've had to do that before in my smaller humis. The cigars themselves will hold th RH fine.
    ^ True. The spanish cedar and the cigars themselves are the primary humidification in any humidor - beads/gel/puck are secondary.
  • Options
    Okie Ill try that.... thanks guys
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    xmacro:
    cabinetmaker:
    ^ True. The spanish cedar and the cigars themselves are the primary humidification in any humidor - beads/gel/puck are secondary.
    Yep, just don't do this for an extended period of time. Once your humidity gets to an accceptable level, drop your humidifier back in and watch the rH carefully.