Home General Discussion
Options

Need help understanding!

Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
Scenario: Yesterday morning (7am) had an Acid Blondie (I know "AN ACID?!?" Whatever). Followed with a Puros Indios Viejo (around 11am). Then around 7pm after Pizza and few wings had my first MOW Ruination a Robust No.1. The first third very peppery/spicy, second third mellowed out some and last third was very enjoyable with slight pepper and earthy flavors with hints of spice. I'm a novice when it comes to picking out flavors so mybe I am way off but that is what I thought anyway. Also I didn't rush the cigar I took my time and it lasted 90+ minutes. Here is where I need help. Why after smoking two sticks earlier in the day did this third one buzz my head and give me an uneasy feeling that lasted for about an hour? $hit I'm scared/apprehensive to touch the other ten I have sitting in my humi. Yea I know there are plenty of you more than willing to take off my handsLOL. But I have to say I enjoyed the flavors, just not the effects! Should I always expect this kind of feeling out of these types of cigars?

Comments

• Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Dark Roast:
    Scenario: Yesterday morning (7am) had an Acid Blondie (I know "AN ACID?!?" Whatever). Followed with a Puros Indios Viejo (around 11am). Then around 7pm after Pizza and few wings had my first MOW Ruination a Robust No.1. The first third very peppery/spicy, second third mellowed out some and last third was very enjoyable with slight pepper and earthy flavors with hints of spice. I'm a novice when it comes to picking out flavors so mybe I am way off but that is what I thought anyway. Also I didn't rush the cigar I took my time and it lasted 90+ minutes. Here is where I need help. Why after smoking two sticks earlier in the day did this third one buzz my head and give me an uneasy feeling that lasted for about an hour? $hit I'm scared/apprehensive to touch the other ten I have sitting in my humi. Yea I know there are plenty of you more than willing to take off my handsLOL. But I have to say I enjoyed the flavors, just not the effects! Should I always expect this kind of feeling out of these types of cigars?

I dont know about the 1st two cigars, but I do know that the Ruination is one of the stronger blends out there. When it was released it was touted as the strongest & most flavorful.

• Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Embrace the leaf my friend and you just discovered "Full Bodied Cigars" You should eat something before smoking full cigars but that buzz you encountered is one of the aspects of a cigar I am looking for in a full body stick. Don't fear the others, just properly prepare and set aside the time needed to recover and enjoy. Tobacco impairment is not illegal and a nice alternative to those of us who do not ingest alcohol. LOL
  • Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    I don't get a buzz from a Ruination anymore, unless my stomach is completely empty. If I have anything to eat at all, or if I smoke it later in the day I wont get a buzz. Just keep smoking other cigars and work your way up to the full bodied monsters like the Ruination and the Camacho Triple Maduro.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Yeah, that's the buzz that full-bodied cigars give off. Personally I hate it, but there are a lot of people who love it. If you can build up your nicotine tolerance, you can avoid the buzz
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    Yeah, that's the buzz that full-bodied cigars give off. Personally I hate it, but there are a lot of people who love it. If you can build up your nicotine tolerance, you can avoid the buzz
    Full bodied cigars will give you that "feel it in the stomach" effect sometimes too. Take your time with it, and maybe make it the only cigar of the day. Smoke it after you have had something to eat, and just know what to expect. If you start to get that stomach ache, something sugary helps, like a coke, or my favorite.. a Snicker Bar. that settles it down for me. A head buzz, I just slow down even more. And there is nothing wrong with realizing enough is enough. Put it down.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Just put those Ruination's away for a spell. As you try more newer sticks you will notice that your tastes change. After some time you will be looking for a bit of a step up in order to try some newer sticks you have avoided up til now, it is a natural progression.

The other thing that will happen is that these Ruinations will settle down a little bit in the months that go by. By the time you are wanting to try something a little outside of your regular sticks the Ruinations will be there to enjoy.

As has already been stated here, have a full stomach and know that fatty foods such as meat as opposed to something like salad will also help to bring out the flavors.

There are NO sure answers. I have enjoyed Ruinations (and other full bodied sticks) in the morning while sitting out on the patio enjoying coffee, on an empty stomach and generally have no problems. Other times I will get that little stomach queeziness even after I have ate.

I enjoy FULL flavored sticks and most of my favorites are Full Bodied as well, but I also enjoy light bodied full flavored sticks. I let my humi's tell me what I want to smoke at any given time, and they are usually right.
  • Options
    Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    All great advice here and I would suggest letting them rest for a bit longer as well. They do a ton better with some time on them. Revisit them later on and if you don't like them I'm sure just like you said someone on here would be more then willing to take them off your hands. I wasn't able to smoke such a full bodied stick when I was just getting started and have felt these same things. They grew on me as some have mentioned but others I'm sure still wouldn't like such full bodied sticks. It's a personal taste kind of thing like Mark Twain said "“No one can tell me what is a good cigar - for me. I am the only judge."
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    Great advice everyone!
    For the first time ever, I felt that "queazy" feeling after a cigar just a couple days ago. Even my legs were wabbly, and that never happens to me! The cigar in question was the first one out of a box of ISOM San Cristobal de la Habana in an "El Morro" size (slightly longer than a Churchill). The box had been resting since May of 2001 and I never expected it to pack such a punch. Great cigar, and I will be better prepared for the other 24.

• Options
    Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the comments/knowledge expressed. I will continue to work my way up to this type of cigar. And better prepare myself for its effects!