Home General Discussion
Options

nubs

Have any of you guys tried the nubs and so what are your thoughts.

Comments

• Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    I've never had one, but everybody else here raves about them. I'm definitely looking to try one at some point.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I've smoked them all. My fave by far is the Cameroon BPT. THe Habano is very full bodied which I normally like but doesn't have quite as much flavor as the cam IMO. THe Conneticut is milder than these two but still not a mild cigar closer to medium.

These are not a quick smoke, FYI, they'll take you an hour or more in some cases. They are well worth the money and one of my fave smokes.
  • Options
    CaptCapt Posts: 127 ✭✭
    I bought a box of the Cameroon 466. WAY too young IMHO. These need a little time, at least a year for me. Very sharp on the finish, burn was not great. I won't even think about smoking another one of these until next summer. Give it a year and these will be top smokes. Order a box now, and smoke one a month and see what I am talking about. By next summer, you'll still have half a box left, and they will be terrific!
  • Options
    Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    I have never had any of them either, but after my last order I now have 3 Cammys and Habanos resting, waiting to be sacrificed.
  • Options
    BFGarnerBFGarner Posts: 96
    NUB Connecticut was my favorite because I am wimpy. All 3 are great and take way longer than you would think to smoke the whole thing. I love them all.
  • Options
    I like the Habano the most. The connie I won't rate on b/c i rarely like a connie wrapped cigar, to mild. The Cammeron was just okay, nothing spectacular. All of the sizes burn expectionally considering the amount of tobacco in them, even the littlest size will take a good fortyfive minutes to smoke.
  • Options
    MarkbbMarkbb Posts: 196
    I have a few resting in the humi.
  • Options
    Capt:
    I bought a box of the Cameroon 466. WAY too young IMHO. These need a little time, at least a year for me. Very sharp on the finish, burn was not great. I won't even think about smoking another one of these until next summer. Give it a year and these will be top smokes. Order a box now, and smoke one a month and see what I am talking about. By next summer, you'll still have half a box left, and they will be terrific!
    WOW! I completely disagree capt. I've bought 2 boxes of the 466 BPT's now and everyone I've smoked has burned impeccably. This perfect burn and coolness of the smoke is what the nubs are known for.
    I know a lot of you guys don't likey that "sharp" or "harsh" finish, I think of it more as a "bite" and enjoy that. If you're trying to get rid of that spicy finish age it but if you're like me and enjoy that spiciness smoke em NOW!
  • Options
    CaptCapt Posts: 127 ✭✭
    madurofan:
    [I know a lot of you guys don't likey that "sharp" or "harsh" finish, I think of it more as a "bite" and enjoy that. If you're trying to get rid of that spicy finish age it but if you're like me and enjoy that spiciness smoke em NOW!
    Sharp/acrid/harsh finish and spicy finish are two totally different animals. I enjoy a spicy finish, but something that is sharp and acrid does not do anything for me except make me reach for a different cigar.
  • Options
    Capt:
    madurofan:
    [I know a lot of you guys don't likey that "sharp" or "harsh" finish, I think of it more as a "bite" and enjoy that. If you're trying to get rid of that spicy finish age it but if you're like me and enjoy that spiciness smoke em NOW!
    Sharp/acrid/harsh finish and spicy finish are two totally different animals. I enjoy a spicy finish, but something that is sharp and acrid does not do anything for me except make me reach for a different cigar.
    We're just going to have to agree to disagree here then bc I've never had an acrid finish from a Nub. I'm not positive how long the cigar itself is aged but from Sam Leccia's mouth to my ears, the youngest tobacco in any NUb is 11 years old. So young it isn't.
  • Options
    To further elaborate on that ... the reason that isn't advertised, the 11 yr old tobacco, is, to quote Sam "next year it would be 12 yrs old and I'd have to redo all the packaging". He was actually laughing at RP's solution to this calling it the Vintage 1990 and 1992.
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    I have one of the Habanos, courtesy of Scrambler. I've been waiting for a special occasion. Maybe it'll be my birthday smoke next week.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I thought the Habano was pretty good, I didn't get any harshness or acridity from it, the balance was good and the burn left something to be desired, but was just more crooked than anything, no canoeing or tunneling.
  • Options
    ScionScion Posts: 20
    i just got a box of Connecticut today but there all good i like the Connecticut with a burger and a nice screwdriver then again all the nubs are good and affordable... GO TRY ONE today or tomorrow if you must
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    This is sad... all the rave reviews and I haven't a NuB yet!
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    dont feel bad. neither have I. I have a list in my head of things i want to try and when something new comes up i tack it on to the bottem. with the cigar budget i have and my 6 weeks waiting period befor i smoke a new shipment... im very backed up. I just recently had the brazilian label.
  • Options
    Damn kuzi, if I'd known you hadn't had any I would have thrown a couple in the 1000th winnings. Oh well it gives me some return fire ;)
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    I thought the Habano was pretty good, I didn't get any harshness or acridity from it, the balance was good and the burn left something to be desired, but was just more crooked than anything, no canoeing or tunneling.
    Uneven burn can be caused by some many things its hard to say that it is the cigars fault. IMHO a bad burn is canoeing, tunneling or the inabillity to hold its ash.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Well, cigar's fault or not, it still leaves an impression on the experience. And I would hardly call bad ash holding a burn issue, that would certainly have to be a construction issue.
  • Options
    I see how that would leave an impression, but I usually try to block that out bc of the outside factors(what RH it was stored at, are you smoking outside, are you rotating as you smoke, did you get it lit evenly to begin with). Also I've always looked at construction and burn as one in the same, just my take.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    Also I've always looked at construction and burn as one in the same, just my take.
    there are many cases where this is true. there are a few where this is not.
  • Options
    example?
  • Options
    ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    madurofan:
    example?
    This week I smoked an Oliva Special G that had way too much give when pinched. I could nearly squeeze it flat. I think it had far too little filler, which is a construction problem, but it burned perfectly fine. On the other hand a cigar can be perfectly constructed, but be stored in an environment that's too humid and have serious burn issues like tunneling.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Had a Nub cameroon tonight and really enjoyed it. It started off a tad harsh, but that may have been due to my poor lighting skills. After a minute or two and lots of smoke, it hit its stride. I'm horrible at identifying the flavors I taste, and I could be wayyyyyy off base, but there was a unique flavor that almost reminded of the "barnyard" that I've heard people reference. It kind of came and went. Either way, I loved it. It burned great...not sure how others would classify it, but it seemed moderate to full-bodied to me. I starting to think that's just about where my wheel house is...
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Luko:
    Had a Nub cameroon tonight and really enjoyed it. It started off a tad harsh, but that may have been due to my poor lighting skills. After a minute or two and lots of smoke, it hit its stride. I'm horrible at identifying the flavors I taste, and I could be wayyyyyy off base, but there was a unique flavor that almost reminded of the "barnyard" that I've heard people reference. It kind of came and went. Either way, I loved it. It burned great...not sure how others would classify it, but it seemed moderate to full-bodied to me. I starting to think that's just about where my wheel house is...
    Hey luke, was it the Habano that you smoked ? I find the first few minutes of a cigar are often a bit rougher, but they do have a way of evening out.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    It was the cameroon, a 464 I think. Big fan.