Home General Discussion
Options

Cubano/Habano/etc

So from previous threads I've read many opinions on "Cuban" cigar flavors and characterictics, and why we care.  Don't worry, this is not another "why we should care" thread, but rather a question of "what we're caring about" when it comes to this style of smoke.

I was in Jamaica earlier this year and smoked, for the first time, what could have been a few cuban cigars (though naturally I have my doubts as to authenticity).  I recall thinking the flavors were rather flat, and thought to myself, "hmmm, all those guys must've been right that it's nothing special unless your taste lies in that direction to begin with."

So now I've noticed that every time I've smoked a cigar with Cubano, Cuba, Habano, etc in the name, I've had the same reaction.  Consistently flat, across that entire spectrum so far.  So, first - they must be somewhere close with the flavors.  But second - I can't say I'm a big fan.  And this certainly would not make me alone, from what I gather.  For example, the DPG Cuban Classic, the Nub Habano, the Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet, etc...all fall flat to my taste and leave a big hole where the flavor usually is.

Just wondering if anyone can point out some of the flavors I could concentrate on with cigars in this vein, that might clue me in to enjoy them more?  All of those cigars are listed as fuller-bodied (from what I recall), yet I would put them around low to medium at best...nothing like a Gurkha Titan, Sol Cubano Sumatra (yum), 5 Vegas Classic (yum!), or a Nub Cameroon in richness of flavor, IMO.

All that said, my palate is surely not anywhere near maturity, still experimenting, looking for what I like.  But I've noticed that hearing adjectives (describing fullness, flavors, etc) seems to help me get into a cigar...

Any thoughts on the matter?

Comments

• Options
    MarkbbMarkbb Posts: 196
    I think smoking cigars are like to each his own, there's alway gonna be somebody who luvs em and can't stand them, I dought very serious that you had a true cuban in jamaica.....like I didn't have a true cuban in saudi...but taste buds are different and that'll warrent likes and dislikes..so smoke what you like because life is to short to smoke machine made...
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I agree with your idea that if you don't lean towards those flavors cubans won't be your favorite, however, flat isn't something I'd describe them as. The typical cuban flavors though are leather and earth.
  • Options
    I have never smoked anything that I was confident was a real Cuban. That having been said, I think the others are right. A Cuban style cigar is only going to appeal if you like Cuban style cigars. I could give you the most expensive Camaroon wrapped cigar and the world and if you don't like Camaroon wrappers, you probably won't like it.

With regard to your question on specific brands, I do like the Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet. It isn't the most complex or full cigar out there, but for the price point it has a nice flavor. In terms of the psycho-strong Cuban style stuff, for my money, you can't beat the Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic. A very strong and evolving cigar that doesn't make your hands shake. If I ever have a "real" Cuban, I hope that is what it tastes like.