Home General Discussion
Options

Spanish Cedar

Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
Are all cigar boxes made of Spanish Cedar as a rule? I have my overflow right now in an old luchbox/coolerdor, and want to get some spanish cedar inside. The last couple of time I have checked I am getting a strange smell inside the cooler, and will probably be getting a brand new one as I am getting nervous. But until then, I want to put some cedar in there, and will sacrifice a box if I have to. I have one box from HdM, two from box purchases of C.Coms, and even the small cusano sampler box that they sent.

Thanks, fellas

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    yes, generally speaking.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    yes, generally speaking.
    Cool :) *the sound of splintering boxes echoes across the forums*
  • Options
    i cut up my old boxes and put beads in em.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Smoke=Fire:
    kuzi16:
    yes, generally speaking.
    I bashed apart about half a dozen to stick in my coolerdor. (My neighbors probably thought I'd gone all Jeffrey Dahmer on them.) They're lending a nice cedariness to the coolerdor. It's not as cedary as a humi, but it's quite noticeable when you open the lid. I think it'll work well for you.
  • Options
    urbino:
    Smoke=Fire:
    kuzi16:
    yes, generally speaking.
    I bashed apart about half a dozen to stick in my coolerdor. (My neighbors probably thought I'd gone all Jeffrey Dahmer on them.) They're lending a nice cedariness to the coolerdor. It's not as cedary as a humi, but it's quite noticeable when you open the lid. I think it'll work well for you.
    Good deal! Thanks guys :D
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Smoke=Fire:
    urbino:
    Smoke=Fire:
    kuzi16:
    yes, generally speaking.

IS there a reason for using "Spaninsh" Cedar?

Are there certain characteristics about the Spanish Cedar which make it the wood of choice?

I live on Vancouver Island in BC and we have lots of VERY HIGH quality Cedar available. Some of this Cedar is First growth and can be as old as 800 - 1200 yrs old.

This wood is very hard and aromatic. There is other younger Cedar also available which is not so hard or aromatic. Would this Cedar be useable?

I have some Yew wood which when worked is beautiful and VERY hard. I would like to try to make my own Humidor one day and obviously I want to use the right Cedar for lining it, but would also love to make it with local Cedar like the Yew wood is.
  • Options
    ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    Laker, spanish cedar isn't actually cedar, its part of the mahogany family while true cedar is in the pine family. It gets its name because it smells like cedar, but is more ideal for humidor contruction because it reacts better to moisture.
  • Options
    Scrambler:
    Laker, spanish cedar isn't actually cedar, its part of the mahogany family while true cedar is in the pine family. It gets its name because it smells like cedar, but is more ideal for humidor contruction because it reacts better to moisture.

Thanks again Scrambler...

Learnin' learnin' learnin'
  • Options
    That yew would make a gorgeous box to line with Spanish cedar, though.
  • Options
    urbino:
    That yew would make a gorgeous box to line with Spanish cedar, though.

OH man! This stuff is soooo beautiful. Some is light, almost yellow with an almost burl like swirl in the grain.

I have some other that is not quite as burl like in the grain but has beautiful shades of reds running through the whole pieces.

I wonder if I can un-line a cigar box of the same demensions as I would eventually make this box and use that to re-line the inside of my new box. The liners may be glued or something... don't know?

Anybody done this?
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    laker1963:
    Smoke=Fire:
    urbino:
    Smoke=Fire:
    kuzi16:
    yes, generally speaking.

IS there a reason for using "Spaninsh" Cedar?

Are there certain characteristics about the Spanish Cedar which make it the wood of choice?

I live on Vancouver Island in BC and we have lots of VERY HIGH quality Cedar available. Some of this Cedar is First growth and can be as old as 800 - 1200 yrs old.

This wood is very hard and aromatic. There is other younger Cedar also available which is not so hard or aromatic. Would this Cedar be useable?

I have some Yew wood which when worked is beautiful and VERY hard. I would like to try to make my own Humidor one day and obviously I want to use the right Cedar for lining it, but would also love to make it with local Cedar like the Yew wood is.
    What a coincidence...I have some VERY hard wood to. /walks upstairs to visit wifey.
  • Options
    ROFLMFAO

Are you Spanish though !?
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Honduran, as a matter of fact.
  • Options
    laker1963:
    I wonder if I can un-line a cigar box of the same demensions as I would eventually make this box and use that to re-line the inside of my new box. The liners may be glued or something... don't know?

Anybody done this?
    I've pulled the cedar lining out of a cigar box. Did it just last week, as a matter of fact. It's actually pretty easy. IME, it's just 4 pieces mitered at the ends and held in by friction.
  • Options
    urbino:
    laker1963:

Anybody done this?
    I've pulled the cedar lining out of a cigar box. Did it just last week, as a matter of fact. It's actually pretty easy. IME, it's just 4 pieces mitered at the ends and held in by friction.

KEWL! Thanks Urbino. Theres my answer.
  • Options
    Luko:
    Honduran, as a matter of fact.
    OK after 2 plus hours...

I got nothin' :(~
  • Options
    there is a reason for using "spanish" "cedar"... you actually nailed it later in your post. cedar (of the non spanish kind) is very aromatic.

come to think of it (this is why i put down cedar in quotes) spanish cedar is neither spanish nor cedar. Its actually part of the Mahogany family. in spanish its "Cedro" hence spanish cedar.

there is another type of wood that can be used in a Humidor, it is a mahogany, i just dont remember the name.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    there is a reason for using "spanish" "cedar"... you actually nailed it later in your post. cedar (of the non spanish kind) is very aromatic.

come to think of it (this is why i put down cedar in quotes) spanish cedar is neither spanish nor cedar. Its actually part of the Mahogany family. in spanish its "Cedro" hence spanish cedar.

there is another type of wood that can be used in a Humidor, it is a mahogany, i just dont remember the name.

Thanks for that Kuzi.

Someone else has mentioned that they were able to remove the inner lining of a box of cigars and I think that is the way I will go. I'll just disassemble a few boxes and cut the pieces to fit the inside of the Humi.

Now all I have to do is build the damned thing. However, knowing the way my mind works, that is the reason for stating my intentions here. Now I feel like I have to get this project done just because I made the declaration that I was going to. I know this amounts to playing head games with myself... but hey whatever works man.