Home Cigar 101

cigar.com cigar lighter - help

Apparently, lighters don't like me.
I refilled the cigar.com cigar torch lighter five times and now it won't light. Perhaps there were impurities in the butane?

If I turn up the dial I can hear the fuel hissing.
I can see the fluid in the glass "tube".
I can turn down the gas and I have tried small increments of turning the valve up.
I can see the sriker striking the blue spark.
I tried to light it with another flame. It actually puts out another "regular" flame lighter.
If I turn it lower, I can see a little blue flame with a stronger flame from another lighter.

I tried blowing compressed air into the cigar lighter and nothing has changed.

I am guessing their is blockage somewhere. But what can I do now? Thank you in advance. Thanks.

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Have you tried bleeding the lighter completely and then refilling it? Did you make sure and turn the fuel valve all the way down when refilling it?

Some lighters are temperamental, I've had lighters that take a refilling a dozen times and then just won't work and nothing I do can get them back on the right track.
  • SacNickSacNick Posts: 77
    I haven't tried bleeding it completely yet.

I did turn the valve all the way down when I refilled it each time.

I hope it's not so temperamental that it doesn't work again... I had this problem with a Zippo. I hated throwing that away. But the life-time warranty shipping is as much as a new one.

Thank you for the reply.
    I'd say try the bleed and make sure you get all of the butane out, then attempt a refill an see if that helps at all.
  • ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    My free ccom lighter sucks too. It will only work if the flame is super huge. Any reasonable adjustment and it will just flicker on when for a fraction of a second then go out. I've tried bleeding and refilling and it didn't get any better so I went back to my z-plus torch-equipped zippo.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I've had the same experience: won't light unless it's cranked all the way up. I don't mind that so much, given that it's a free lighter, but I do mind that it doesn't go out when I let off the valve. I have to blow it out, and even then butane continues to leak out for a few seconds.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    when you are done bleeding it all the way out, turn the adjustment knob all the way up and "light it" it wont light because there is no fuel and there is no preasure. the spark is only there for a moment. with the valve open take some of the canned air that you have and "fill" the lighter. this should blow impurities out and itll be good as new.

refill as usual from that point.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Another point here, what brand fluid are you using?
    I have cheap butane right now. I plan to bleed it (fun), and get some Zippo or other branded Butane.

I did a bit of bleeding last night, but dang, it was really full.

Someone said to bleed it and use compressed air on the filler side, is that correct?
    This will blow out the possible impuirities, hopefully...
    I will try.

Thank you!
    First buy Lava brand butane, they claim it is so pure it will actually clean out impurities. If you can't get that buy Xikar or colibri, NOTHING FROM WAL-MART or anything like that.

No don't use compressed air the way you would butane, I'm not sure exactly kuzi's method here but I must definetly would not try to force compressed air into the lighter! Simply bleed the lighter, refill it partially with Lava and fire it up a couple times, bleed it again and then fill it all the way up.
    im not forcing it IN im forcing it THROUGH.
    yes im that jerk.
    Right you're just spraying compressed air at the inlet right? Not putting the nozzle around it and forcing it into the lighter?
  • I have had bad luck with lighters as well! I bought some generic one from walgreens for 5 bucks and it sucked! I then exchanged it for the 10 buck version and I got one stick lit, then it was dead!!! So yesterday I bought a SOLO duel torch lighter from my cigar shop $23 and it has a lifetime replacement plan. If it jacks up I take it to the shop and get a new one! It seems to work real good so far! I'll test drive it for a while and let you guys know! I put some premo fluid in the $10 one after bleeding it and it seems to work again!!!
    Yea its usually the fluid that causes more problems than the lighter.
    kuzi16:
    im not forcing it IN im forcing it THROUGH.
    Sooo... I use compressed air on the butane inlet, like I am trying to FILL it with compressed air???
  • ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    Yes, thats what Kuzi is saying. But when doing so, be holding down the button so the valve is open. This lets the compressed air go straight through, taking the crud with it.
    OK, got it.

Thanks.
    Scrambler:
    Yes, thats what Kuzi is saying. But when doing so, be holding down the button so the valve is open. This lets the compressed air go straight through, taking the crud with it.
    That makes sense.
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Guys, any issues with lighters you bought from us please drop us a line. We can walk you through some ideas to get it working again and if that does not work, we will gladly replace it. We have a 100% satisfaction gaurantee for life on everything we sell.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Alex Svenson:
    Guys, any issues with lighters you bought from us please drop us a line. We can walk you through some ideas to get it working again and if that does not work, we will gladly replace it. We have a 100% satisfaction gaurantee for life on everything we sell.
    Wow.... This place is the best out there! How come you can't find anyone that cares like this in any other place? Thanks ALEX!
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    My biggest lighter issue at the moment is finding decent butane. The shop near my house only sells Zippo. The other choice is Dutch Boy at Home Depot!
    zoom, do a google search for lava butane. It is a highly refined, and therefore very pure, brand of butane that is optimal for use in a lot of lighters that have small, easily clogged valves and parts.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    zoom, do a google search for lava butane. It is a highly refined, and therefore very pure, brand of butane that is optimal for use in a lot of lighters that have small, easily clogged valves and parts.
    So, do less expensive lighters have the easily clogged valves/parts? My local B&M was auctioning off a crazy expenisve lighter (Dupont I think?) and the design wasn't all that so I didn't go for it.

But what is the big deal with these lighters costing hundreds of dollars? Why so expensive?
    Well, I drained it, compressed air it, and now I have Zippo butane.

Is Zippo not that good?

I will drain it of the Zippo and try again.

It seems like it has TOO MUCH PRESSURE.
    It tends to blow the flame out, when I try to light it with a match or a solid flame from the stove, or other lighter.

Help?!?!?!
    I don't want to return if it is m fault...

Lasabar:
    j0z3r:
    So, do less expensive lighters have the easily clogged valves/parts? My local B&M was auctioning off a crazy expenisve lighter (Dupont I think?) and the design wasn't all that so I didn't go for it.

But what is the big deal with these lighters costing hundreds of dollars? Why so expensive?
    I think it is the same reason that people flaunt smoking cigars like Opus X and other pretty high dollar smokes, the implied status that comes along with it.

I've never spent more than $25 on a lighter, actually most of mine have been freebies, and they all work perfectly fine. Mostly you are going to find those small, easily clogged parts I referred to on the torch style lighters... well, probably anything more advanced than your run-of-the-mill Bic lighter.
    j0z3r:
    I think it is the same reason that people flaunt smoking cigars like Opus X and other pretty high dollar smokes, the implied status that comes along with it.
    I dont smoke OpusX for status. I smoke it because its seriously a good cigar. the best ive ever had actually. I went into smoking Opus very skeptical (as i do all high end cigars) and i soon found out that they are in fact a great cigar.

as far as the lighter goes the Dupont lighters are great. I hear they are very reliable. but for a 1/4 of the price i got a Xikar and for over two years now its never missed a light. so yeah, you can get a $100+ lighter if you want, but im not so sure its $100 worth of good.

...but an OpusX is worth every penny (if you pay retail)
    kuzi16:
    j0z3r:
    I dont smoke OpusX for status. I smoke it because its seriously a good cigar. the best ive ever had actually. I went into smoking Opus very skeptical (as i do all high end cigars) and i soon found out that they are in fact a great cigar.

as far as the lighter goes the Dupont lighters are great. I hear they are very reliable. but for a 1/4 of the price i got a Xikar and for over two years now its never missed a light. so yeah, you can get a $100+ lighter if you want, but im not so sure its $100 worth of good.

...but an OpusX is worth every penny (if you pay retail)
    Re-read my post and notice I said people who flaunt smoking such cigars. I'm not knocking the cigar, but rather the people who go around saying " my cigar is better than yours because it costs more."
    Oh well, no luck on cleaning, using compressed air - around, in or through.

I got a few good strikes with a large flame. I went through four refills, two bleed outs using the flame button and two complete disharges by pressing the bottom.

I also went to colibrishop.com for some more help, but eh... nope. No help there.

• urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Time to take Alex up on his offer.
    Alex Svenson:
    DAMMMMIT! I threw mine away. I guess it was a freebie anyways though.