Home General Discussion
Options

5 vegas relic

kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
about a year ago i picked up a few relics. i tried one after a bit of rest (6 weeks or so) and i remember thinking to myself
"this cigar has a ton of potential. some time on it will do it some good."
a few months ago i had another.
same thought.
i just had one a year in and i still dont see it living up to its potential.
the only problem is that this was the last of the lot. kinda sad really. i should have let more time go by before lighting that one. anyone else think that this cigar will age well? anyone have one with more than 14 months on it?

Comments

• Options
    cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    kuzi16:
    about a year ago i picked up a few relics. i tried one after a bit of rest (6 weeks or so) and i remember thinking to myself
    same thought.
    the only problem is that this was the last of the lot. kinda sad really. i should have let more time go by before lighting that one. anyone else think that this cigar will age well? anyone have one with more than 14 months on it?
    I've got some with a year, but I really enjoy this cigar anyways. I'm seriously considering taking Alex's advice though and clipping the foot, then putting them back in the humi. It was said that this will allow it to age faster, since air/moisture can more readily escape or be absorbed.
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    I love the Relic. I think mine have close to a year on them and I believe they will age very well, but that it will take a good 2 to 3 years before this stick has any real "age" due to it's blend. Of course, I could be out to lunch as I sometimes a m

• Options
    camgfs:
    I love the Relic. I think mine have close to a year on them and I believe they will age very well, but that it will take a good 2 to 3 years before this stick has any real "age" due to it's blend. Of course, I could be out to lunch as I sometimes a m

no... i agree as mentioned in my original post. however, now i have to wait a few more years to find out. i shoulda saved that last one
  • Options
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    camgfs:

no... i agree as mentioned in my original post. however, now i have to wait a few more years to find out. i shoulda saved that last one
    I'll send you a couple of mine with a year on em if you want?
  • Options
    Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    Wow I was just thinking about this the other day when I was going through and counting all my sticks. I got a few from CCOM then Paul sent me a few just because he is awesome. I've been wanting to try one but knew that they needed some time on them. I've been debating on if I should cut the foot to help them age. My other thing is what if I don't like them and want to trade them away. Then I have pretty much not kept the integrity of the cigar & I know how I would feel if I got a stick like that...unless it was pre-trade knowledge but even then it is still something I am torn over. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    Sandman1am:
    Wow I was just thinking about this the other day when I was going through and counting all my sticks. I got a few from CCOM then Paul sent me a few just because he is awesome. I've been wanting to try one but knew that they needed some time on them. I've been debating on if I should cut the foot to help them age. My other thing is what if I don't like them and want to trade them away. Then I have pretty much not kept the integrity of the cigar & I know how I would feel if I got a stick like that...unless it was pre-trade knowledge but even then it is still something I am torn over. Any thoughts?
    I wouldn't cut them all. I'd cut a couple, see how they do. I have eight. I plan on cutting the foot on two, and keeping two intact, all from the same batch I bought. I'll smoke one of the intact one, then one of the cut ones, see which one developed better. Then, I'll know from now on whether to cut or keep them intact.
  • Options
    Sandman1am:
    I've been debating on if I should cut the foot to help them age. My other thing is what if I don't like them and want to trade them away. Then I have pretty much not kept the integrity of the cigar & I know how I would feel if I got a stick like that...unless it was pre-trade knowledge but even then it is still something I am torn over. Any thoughts?
    Leave them as they are would be my 2 cents worth. I think these sticks will age nicely, but cutting them just to shave a month or 2 off the process could be a little like using instant rice instead of the real stuff. Depends what the recepy calls for, but it could ruin the dish?

• Options
    camgfs:
    Sandman1am:
    I've been debating on if I should cut the foot to help them age. My other thing is what if I don't like them and want to trade them away. Then I have pretty much not kept the integrity of the cigar & I know how I would feel if I got a stick like that...unless it was pre-trade knowledge but even then it is still something I am torn over. Any thoughts?
    Leave them as they are would be my 2 cents worth. I think these sticks will age nicely, but cutting them just to shave a month or 2 off the process could be a little like using instant rice instead of the real stuff. Depends what the recepy calls for, but it could ruin the dish?

I'm just using this info, figured I'd give it a try:

"xmacro: An extremely interesting bit of info; so how would these age in a humidor if we wanted the age them for a year or more? I'm assuming we'd have to clip one end to get the best result?"

"Alex Svenson: Yes and no. The tobaccos would still marry but the some of the aging qualities would be hindered yes. It would be like aging a cigar in cello essentially so these will not age quite like a standard cigar unless you cut it. Great question.
    " Alex Svenson Chief Merchant Cigar.com
  • Options
    So... with all this talk of Relics, I decided to strike one up in the middle of the afternoon with a couple of "Tall boys". Well, what an afternoon it was!!!!!!!!

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I've got a few left from a box split, they have around 14 months on them. Honestly though, my best results came from one I smoked 2-3 weeks after getting them. I thought resting them would help, but so far all I've gotten are well rested, problematic cigars. When they're hassle free I think they're nice cigars, but I've had some issue on 4/5 that I've smoked, or attempted to smoke.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    same thought.
    My experience was similar. Had one fresh and I thought it would get better with rest. Tried one again with only 6 months and thought the same thing again. It didn't wow me enough to make me want to age it any longer though. If a cigar in this class/price range doesn't get where it needs to be after 6 months it's not for me.
  • Options
    Sandman1am:
    Tony, those will be a year old on 6/3 along with the CSII, if that helps you make your decision.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    Honestly though, my best results came from one I smoked 2-3 weeks after getting them. I thought resting them would help, but so far all I've gotten are well rested, problematic cigars. When they're hassle free I think they're nice cigars, but I've had some issue on 4/5 that I've smoked, or attempted to smoke.
    Guys, have you tried "dry boxing" any of them? These Relics are one of the cigars that I take out of the humidor a day or 2 before smoking. I just put them in an empty cedar cigar box with the lid closed. If I don't get around to smoking it for 3 days, no big deal. They WILL smoke better at lower humidity than your other sticks. Much less problematic.

I know it's a bit of a pain to remember to take a stick out of the humi a day or 2 before to 'pre-plan' to smoke it, but trust me, it's worth while! I have been doing this for a while with just about any Maduro stick that gives me burn issues. Drying it out a bit will help keep the burn even right to the nub.

I have some Remedios Don Victor Maduros that just won't burn any other way.

• Options
    mustluvcigars:
    Sandman1am:
    Tony, those will be a year old on 6/3 along with the CSII, if that helps you make your decision.
    Thanks Paul. I was going to ask you how much time these had on them. Sweet deal I'm gonna hold out until they have a year on them. I might cut 1 to see how it differs. I'm going to try to dry box one as well. I have heard this helps with the burn issues. Glad I have 2 others that I picked up to try out some different things with these sticks.
  • Options
    I smoked one just the other day, after sending those out, It burned like a champ.not a single issue, I dont even clip them to light them, love the blast of wrapper flavor you get
  • Options
    bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    As I'm reading this, I'm wondering if maybe the original Relic is a cigar that we'll see in Ccom's "Aging Room" in the next year or two. The general consensus is that they would get way better with a ton of aging on them, so it would only make sense.

• Options
    mustluvcigars:
    I smoked one just the other day, after sending those out, It burned like a champ.not a single issue, I dont even clip them to light them, love the blast of wrapper flavor you get
    That's a winner in my book. I'm gonna light up one today.
  • Options
    bacon.jay:
    As I'm reading this, I'm wondering if maybe the original Relic is a cigar that we'll see in Ccom's "Aging Room" in the next year or two. The general consensus is that they would get way better with a ton of aging on them, so it would only make sense.

that is a good thought. i hope so.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This has been a very interesting post. I've only had one of these that I got in a COTM shipment, was really looking forward to it, and let it sit until a couple weeks ago, which would be just a couple months. I was disappointed in that it had burn issues, and thought maybe it did need a little more age. You could tell it had potential, I was expecting something similar (and maybe better than) the Cask Strength, which seem to have done wonderfully with about 3 months. Question is, how do you know? Is there a formula, or method, other than smoking one, to let one know that a particular cigar is going to need more time than most to mature?
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    good amount of guess work is involved. cigars that are more established (been around for a bit) will have the reputation to go along. you will hear of "X" or "y" cigar that does very well after a number of years.

example:
    OpusX starts to do well with about a year on them.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    good amount of guess work is involved. cigars that are more established (been around for a bit) will have the reputation to go along. you will hear of "X" or "y" cigar that does very well after a number of years.

example:
    OpusX starts to do well with about a year on them.
    Kuzi when do you think that the Opus X start to or are at their peak?
  • Options
    dont know.

i have a power ranger with about 4 years on it in my humidor. i hope to smoke that soon. Justin ((These Filthy Hands) who was at the herf) and i are trying to get a small Opus party together soon but schedules and weather are not cooperating. its both good and bad that im smoking it. 4 years is a good amount of time but i doubt the opus will be "over aged" in that amount of time. ...its also the oldest opus i have.

i have a no.4 that ill probably hold on to until it hits 10 or so years.
  • Options
    Thanks Kuzi. I need to get some age on the ones I have and was just wondering. Got plenty of special occations to smoke them. Like we were discussing if you never smoke it how are you going to know if you like it?