Favorite sumatra wrapper?

2»

Comments

• Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    bacon.jay:
    stephen_hannibal:
    Vulchor:
    Cmon guys----no love for the R.P. Edge Sumatra????

Man dude that cigar f'd me up.... was tasty though.

I'd recommend the RP Renaissance. If my memory serves me correctly, the Ren is the old RP Vintage '92 blend only wrapped in a Sumatra wrapper. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

According to RP himself...it's actually the Edge Sumatra...just renamed.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:
    bacon.jay:
    stephen_hannibal:
    Vulchor:

I'd recommend the RP Renaissance. If my memory serves me correctly, the Ren is the old RP Vintage '92 blend only wrapped in a Sumatra wrapper. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

OMG you've just oped this can of worms.... LINK

LoL

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    bacon.jay:
    stephen_hannibal:
    Vulchor:

The Vintage 92 is an Ecuadorian Sumatra if I remember correctly.
  • Options
    gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    One of my favs is the Cubao with a sumatra oscuro wrap. Oh so complex.
  • Options
    I'm curious, I recognize most have talked about the Sol Cubano Sumatra a long time ago, but I'm stil a huge fan.  Unfortunately, I can;t seem to find them anywhere.  Anyone know if any cigar shop in the US or canada, that can still get these?
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    caj_19343_extra:
    I'm curious, I recognize most have talked about the Sol Cubano Sumatra a long time ago, but I'm stil a huge fan.  Unfortunately, I can;t seem to find them anywhere.  Anyone know if any cigar shop in the US or canada, that can still get these?
    It was discontinued some time ago. Why that is, I'll never know as it is/was a fantastic smoke.
  • Options
    Big T smokesBig T smokes Posts: 211
    Duder2:
    bacon.jay:
    stephen_hannibal:
    Vulchor:

The Vintage 92 is an Ecuadorian Sumatra if I remember correctly.

I <3 RP Vintage 1992s... still my favorite cigar I've had and it wasn't even aged.
  • Options
    Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    caj_19343_extra:
    It was discontinued some time ago. Why that is, I'll never know as it is/was a fantastic smoke.
    Seconded...I wish I would have bought a pallet when I had the chance :(
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    How's this for a hit and run? I don't know what got into me (that's a lie, it's Schlitz and lots of them)

Anyway, was just browsing through, and this caught my eye (then I see my name come up, and I've got to get in on the action)

Looks like y'all could use a little help here

The Ecuadorian Sumatra (best of all wrapper leaves, IMHO) can be found on the following cigars (among others):

RP Vin 92
    Punch
    Playboy (by Altadis)
    RP Sun Grown
    Fuente Sun Grown
    ccom Cuban Label (just had one tonight, aged a full year... amazing)
    Trinidad
    Ashton VSG
    Cohiba XV
    HdM Dark Sumatra
    Punch Rare Corojo (ironically)
    La Herencia Cubana (original)
    Oliva Special S
    La Flor Dominicana (several lines.. they use it on almost everything)
    RP Decade
    Punch Uppercut
    Cubao
    .... and the greatest sleeper pick in the world (if a big brand could possibly be considered a sleeper):
    La Gloria Cubana

All this on a quick filter of the infamous spreadsheet :)

Sorry about the drive-by. Things have been crazy-busy here, but I'm having fun and am essentially the same person you saw here moons ago. Y'all have crossed my mind more times than any respectable man would admit, but I sincerely hope you're doing well. I can't stay for long, and on my last drop-in I loved reading that Sniper thread. That looked like a lot of fun. Looks like a lot of great new people around these parts. I'm off to the beach for a week. Take care everybody, and just maybe I'll pop in again someday.

FYI - the Graycliff and SC Sumatra (wonderful cigar) were both proper Indonesian Sumatra cigars, along with RyJ, El Rey del Mundo, LFD Coronado, 5Vegas Classic, H. Upmann, and the old blend of the Graycliff Purple Label.

FWIW, my favorite on the above list is the RP Decade. At a more reasonable price point, it'd be the LGC or the RP92 (before they muffed up the blend and slapped on these new black bands).
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Well kiss my grits... Duty...How the hell you been? Drop by again on your return from the beach bro.
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    bacon.jay:
    stephen_hannibal:
    Vulchor:

heh, no. The '92 has a Sumatra wrapper normally. The Renaissance is supposedly the Edge Sumatra since they stopped making that one, but there is this whole drama where Rocky told Kreig it was a new blend.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hey Duty.. It has been a long time friend.. For all you new guys, Joe is one of the best brothers you will ever meet here. Stop by longer next time, I hope all is well with you and the family.
  • Options
    lkm55lkm55 Posts: 1
    the edge sumatra is my favorite RP cigar.