Home Cigar 101
Options

"Flavoring a couple sticks

2»

Comments

• Options
    MrTommyMrTommy Posts: 18 ✭✭
    mrpillow:
    Maybe the presence of the cognac is causing the hygro to give incorrect readings?
    One of the original responses was about JUST THAT. For some reason, the hydrometer may read water humidity properly but not the alcohol. So, I'm just forging ahead with the two sticks in there - and the current 99% humidity reading. They should be DRIPPING at a reading like that!
  • Options
    > that sounds tasty ! I think the alcohol will stop the mold so >I think the RH shouldn't matter. But I may be WWAAYY wrong on this. >Joe or Kuzi needs to chime in on this one. ()()()()()Yeah, I'm thinking that might be right - hopefully. No mold, and no worms. I'm thinking I will have to dry them before putting them back in a separate humidor. Otherwise I'm liable to blow the house up - ha.
  • Options
    doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    MrTommy:
    mrpillow:
    Maybe the presence of the cognac is causing the hygro to give incorrect readings?
    One of the original responses was about JUST THAT. For some reason, the hydrometer may read water humidity properly but not the alcohol. So, I'm just forging ahead with the two sticks in there - and the current 99% humidity reading. They should be DRIPPING at a reading like that!

Alcohol will definitely throw off any hygrometer calibrated for water. Ethanol has a much higher vapor pressure than water, meaning that at any given temperature the ethanol will have a higher amount of gas phase. Your average hygrometer is calibrated for water and will measure how much water vapor is in the air and report that as a percent of the total possible. For the case of alcohol, you have alot more vapor in the air than you would if it was water, but the hygrometer is still comparing that to the "max" amount of water. Hence, your readings are much higher.

Just check to make sure you're not seeing droplets on your cigars and everything should be good!

• Options
    doromath:
    Alcohol will definitely throw off any hygrometer calibrated for water. Ethanol has a much higher vapor pressure than water, meaning that at any given temperature the ethanol will have a higher amount of gas phase. Your average hygrometer is calibrated for water and will measure how much water vapor is in the air and report that as a percent of the total possible. For the case of alcohol, you have alot more vapor in the air than you would if it was water, but the hygrometer is still comparing that to the "max" amount of water. Hence, your readings are much higher.

Just check to make sure you're not seeing droplets on your cigars and everything should be good!

Wow! Thanks for that info. As I've mentioned earlier in the string, this is uncharted territory for me. Will this damage my hydrometer at all, since it's not water vapor it's measuring? I.e., will I be able to go back to normal humidor readings once this experiment is over? On the other hand, if this turns out to be something enjoyable, I'll probably continue experimenting with different 'beverage' flavorings and keep that hydrometer just FOR that.
  • Options
    doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    MrTommy:
    doromath:

Wow! Thanks for that info. As I've mentioned earlier in the string, this is uncharted territory for me. Will this damage my hydrometer at all, since it's not water vapor it's measuring? I.e., will I be able to go back to normal humidor readings once this experiment is over? On the other hand, if this turns out to be something enjoyable, I'll probably continue experimenting with different 'beverage' flavorings and keep that hydrometer just FOR that.

It might have some long term affects on your hygrometer. Typically, though, circuitry that can tolerate open exposure to moist air will not be affected by exposure to alcohol. Rubbing alcohol is the preferred method to clean dirty circuit boards and while it's different than ethanol they behave the same in many respects.

I would say just be safe, and use the conclusion of your experiment as the proper time to check calibration on your hygrometer. Do at least the salt test letting it sit over night to 1 full day.
  • Options
    The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    Just put seven smokes in with some Johnnie Walker Black ! We will see how it turns out !
  • Options
    2 weeks in and the smokes are drinking it up... i am excited !
  • Options
    GadwinDuilGadwinDuil Posts: 474
    The Cank:
    2 weeks in and the smokes are drinking it up... i am excited !
    I was wondering how your guys' experiments were going! Haven't seen Tommy on in a while either! I hope his is going well too!
  • Options
    Almost a month in and they look great !
  • Options
    surfingzeekosurfingzeeko Posts: 628
    Nice...I am actually thinking about taking a CAO Brazilia and infusing it with either chocolate or coffee essential oil... I have some high quality organic essential oil from the company I work for, and some people use it to make ice cream and other food items, and it is very pure, so I am interested to see how this experiment would go.
  • Options
    ^^^ This sounds good. My sticks turned out great so hopefully yours do as well
  • Options
    Big T smokesBig T smokes Posts: 211
    Cank. How'd you do it? You put soem sticks in witha shotglass in a tupperware container and let them sit for a few weeks? How long exactly if you don't mind me askin?
  • Options
    I put the shot in a zip lock bag with cigars in it and put it in my buddies Sliding Cabinet Humidor at his Cigar Bar. They set for 2 months and then they started to come unraveled so we took them out. They were very moist so you will def. have to dry box them a few days but the flavor was GREAT !
  • Options
    JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    Ive done this 3 times. 1 round was Jack Daniels Green Label, another was Brandy with some Vanilla extract and some ground up Kona Coffee, and the last was Capt Morgan and Jagermeister. All the alcohol was in 1 shot glass. Then I would put water into another all in a tupperware container and just let them sit.
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky