Home General Discussion
Options

Mild-Bodied Cigar Thoughts

I've been on a mild-bodied kick lately, and i've been considering the definition of a mild-bodied cigar and why sometimes it gets a bad rap.  The reason behind my mild bodied love affair lately was due to an Ashton classic robusto.  It was one of those cigars where you just dont want the moment to end and you'll smoke it all the way through until the heat and tar at the tip makes it unbearable.  It had such a thick and creamy flavor that it was just a pleasure to smoke, one of those lawnchair out infront of the house quiet morning/late evening smokes.

Anyways the point being, ive been delving into the mild realm a bit more lately and i've noticed that it seems like a lot of milds are made mild by just turning them into a huge cigarette.  Ok, its not always that extreme, but I never felt mild bodied should mean mild in flavor; it should mean mild in spice.  I've been experimenting with a bunch of dominican connecticuts trying to get that great mild bodied strong creamy flavor with some less expensive competition.  I had a CAO gold that captured some of the taste, but again, the flavor felt somewhat drained.  I also tried a 5 vegas gold, unfortunately I may have had a bad stick and rushed it a bit as well.  I had a dramatically uneven burn, and the draw was so loose it felt like i could breathe through the stick if I hadnt lit it.  I hate to jump to hasty conclusions on the 5 vegas though based on all the praise it gets, so i'll likely give it another shot later on.  I was able to get a draw or two in the stick where it was in the direction in the flavor arena i was expecting.

Im planning on trying a c.com house blend sampler and seeing where the blue and purple labels take me, and considering giving the montecristo white and the cusano 18 double C a shot.  I was thinking about macanudo as well, but i've read through enough here to know the group consensus on that one, heh.

I'm sure soon enough i'll move back into the medium/fuller bodied realm, but I was wondering what everyone else thought about the quintessential full flavored mild cigar.

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    For my mild cigars, 5 Vegas Gold will be my go to, I think it had a good amount of flavor and a nice, light body. Another I like is a line called La Carolina, it is a nice medium-mild bodied cigar that has a nice floral undertone to it, definitely good on flavor. I didn't much care for the ccom purple label, as I found it to be very weak on flavor, though in all fairness it could have been overpowered by what I was drinking at the time... Bass Ale and a mild cigar are probably not the best pair. I also liked the Cusano 18 Double Connecticut, a very nice medium-mid cigar as well.
  • Options
    VidarienVidarien Posts: 246
    Yeah, I see you back the 5 vegas gold as well.  Theres been such support for it, i'm really hesitant to look down on it after one bad run.  I'm probably going to pick up the 21'er 5 vegas sampler (Assuming I like the rest of the 5 vegas sticks in my original sampler, pretty sure I will) when i try the c.com house blend sampler, so I can experiment with a few more golds.  I'll probably get the 5 for 5 deal too, that looks to have the crux of what im after right now.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    you already mentioned the cusano 18, ... thats good. its a bit mild for me but im a big full bodied smoker. 5 vegas gold has nomination number 3 now. Fuente 8-5-8 candela was good. I also liked the gespert liine. Back when i was regularly smoking mild cigars i used to like the brand Free Cuba. they were mild in nature, but hit or miss as far as quality goes (but for a buck a stick i wasnt complaining) monte white, is good. I found the ashton you mentioned to be more mild than medium.

as far as medium goes... 5 vegas classic. thats almost always a good idea.
    La Vieja Habana from Drew Estates is good (for a mixed filler) CAO blac was good. im not sure if that was medium or med-full.

• Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I just had another of what is now my favorite milder cigar: the Avo Domaine. Other mild winners I've had are the Cusano 18 Double C and the Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real.
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    My favorite mild-bodied cigar so far has been the 5 Vegas Gold. I didn't care for the Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real or the Cusano 18 Double Conn. Another mild-bodied cigar I really enjoyed, but I don't think anyone else on here has tried, is the Royal Jamaica Gold.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hey Vid, whenever I think Mild the first cigar that comes to my mind is The Griffins Classic. I like the Natural wrapper. These are smooth and mild and plenty of flavor as well. They run about 5-7 bucks but I think they are worth it. I don't hear many people talking about them here, but some of my favorites are not well known. Shhh, if the word gets out they may become hard to find !..
  • Options
    I am not generally into mild cigars either. However, the two exceptions I make on the mild/creamy sticks are the Ashton Classic and the 5 Vegas Gold. Those are two completely different ends of the price scale for good lighter wrappers, but both have a place in my humidor. I think you must have had bum luck with the 5 Vegas. I have found them to be a consistently good stick for the price point and love the flavor.
  • Options
    sdipsdip Posts: 406

Vid:

A few others you might consider that I like and find to be a real good value are the Cu-Avana, CAO Gold, Gurkha Symphony and Fonseca.

• Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    dutyje:
    I didn't care for the Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real or the Cusano 18 Double Conn.
    Duty's full of doody.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    sdip:

Vid:

A few others you might consider that I like and find to be a real good value are the Cu-Avana, CAO Gold, Gurkha Symphony and Fonseca.

I Had my first Fonseca this week, and this is another one that made me think wow! how have I missed this for so long ? I just never picked one up. I got this in a sampler and found another fine cigar by accident. New guys, buy samplers.
  • Options
    VidarienVidarien Posts: 246

MaduroScott:
    I am not generally into mild cigars either. However, the two exceptions I make on the mild/creamy sticks are the Ashton Classic and the 5 Vegas Gold. Those are two completely different ends of the price scale for good lighter wrappers, but both have a place in my humidor. I think you must have had bum luck with the 5 Vegas. I have found them to be a consistently good stick for the price point and love the flavor.

Likely right, i had a 5 vegas classic today and i had no complaints at all.

• Options
    btmislesbtmisles Posts: 125
    Had a CAO Gold last night. First one I have had. I prefer fuller bodied smokes but I thoroughly ejoyed this stick.
  • Options
    SacNickSacNick Posts: 77
    Ashton Cabinet seemed like a good mild one for me.

Have FUN!
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I've had a lot of mild cigars and I have to say the best one I've had was the Ashton Classic. A very close second was the Perdomo Lot 23 Natural. I've tried Avo, Ashton cabinet (slightly more spice than the classic), Oliva O, Cusano 18 CC, Gurkha Connecticut Reserve, Turk, Park Ave and Symphony, Perdomo Champagne Reserve (another very good one), Rocky Patel 1999, and so on. Again I'd go with Ashton Classic, Perdomo Lot 23 and the Champagne Reserve for my fav milds.

I agree that mild shouldn't mean bland. You can still have a very full flavored cigar and still have little to no spice and very mild in the strength department. That's what I tend to look for is spice and strength. If the cigar makes my head spin about half way through, it's not mild. Likewise, if it's all spice, I wouldn't go calling that mild either.